Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• williewillie Member

I think that iperf -c you ran downloads data from the remote host (online.net). To make this crystal clear, imagine a diagram showing your OVH box and the Online server, with an arrow pointing from Online to OVH showing which way the data is flowing.

We know that download (moving data from an external server to the OVH ARM server) works fine. Your benchmark tells us nothing we don't already know. The problem people are seeing is with upload. That means the arrow points in the opposite direction: from OVH to Online. The data moves outward from OVH, not inwards to OVH.

I feel dumb spelling this out in so much detail but enough people have repeated the same useless benchmark that I have to wonder if there is a reading comprehension problem in this place.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@willie said:
    I think

no, you might want to read the manual to iperf ;-) default measurement is client -> server while you can reverse that with the -R flag or check both directions with -r ...

also please check the first few pages, the upload behaviour also was checked using wget and ssh and so on.

wlambrechts said: So you managed to somehow solve the issue ? If so, would you care to give some more details on the Armada thing ? Tx

I think it's a kernel that OVH compiled and delivers with their templates - regardless if you check the 'distro kernel' or not. that simply is because the kernels are named differently in the official repos and there is no such armada kernel there.

most likely they hardcoded some QoS or connection limitation stuff inside it there has to be something which is able to differentiate between dc-internal and external connections... or at least it is marking packets to have the switch be able to filter/limit whatever.

I just finished reinstalling the official debian 9 template on the box and then did that:

# iperf -c iperf.online.net
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Client connecting to iperf.online.net, TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 43.8 KByte (default)
    [  3] local 193.70.82.x port 55558 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.1 sec  5.62 MBytes  4.65 Mbits/sec

# apt install linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp

# apt purge *armada*

(note that this will ask you to abort because it's the running kernel, but that's what we really wanna do, so you need to choose 'no' from the dialog to not abort)

continue:

# reboot

# iperf -c iperf.online.net
    [  3] local 193.70.82.x port 43418 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   376 MBytes   315 Mbits/sec

done.

• williewillie Member
    edited June 2018

Falzo said:

no, you might want to read the manual to iperf ;-)

I did look at the manual and it only described the connection type, not the data transfer direction. If you're sure that the benchmark measured an upload, then that's great, thanks. It should be possible to confirm this with ifstat output.

• For me, all my soyoustart servers have the upload problem. ARM, or essential servers, they all have 5Mbps limit per connection.
    Tested today:

From SOYOUSTART essential server Canadá - E3-1225- 32gb ram-2x2TB HDD:

fromST

From oneprovider France - cheap ATOM C2350 4GB ram 1TB HDD:

from_ONEPROVIDER

Oneprovider near my ISP download limit in a single connection.

Thanked by 1willie
  • sinsin Member

Falzo said: I just finished reinstalling the official debian 9 template on the box and then did that:

Gonna try this now, just waiting on the reinstall to finish.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2018

@willie said:

Falzo said:

I did look at the manual and it only described the connection type, not the data transfer direction. If you're sure that the benchmark measured an upload, then that's great, thanks. It should be possible to confirm this with ifstat output.

no worries I am certain ;-) ;-)

just for balls I created a 1G dummy file (urandom) put in on nginx and issued a wget to it from a hetzner server:

# wget http://193.70.82.x/dummy
    --2018-06-18 21:48:09--  http://193.70.82.x/dummy
    Connecting to 193.70.82.x:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 1073741824 (1.0G) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘dummy’

dummy                            100%[=========================================================>]   1.00G   112MB/s    in 9.3s    

2018-06-18 21:48:19 (110 MB/s) - ‘dummy’ saved [1073741824/1073741824]

what else could I say... I am resting my case and keeping that box, seems very fast now from the looks of it ^^

PS: thanks to anyone who kept pushing and helped narrow down the probable root cause of that stupid limit. honestly would not have thought of that being something they compile into the kernel and keep push that on the box despite one choose to not want it...

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • sumosumo Member
    edited June 2018

Here are the steps I took to resolve:

apt-get install iperf

iperf -c iperf.online.net

[ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 382 MBytes 319 Mbits/sec

Thank you everyone and in particular @Falzo and @S3phy for the helpful posts.

Prior to doing this, had the cap as everyone else. Tested the above steps with the Ubuntu 16 template and although I did not try it with Debian 8, I would assume it would work the same.

• williewillie Member

Falzo said: PS: thanks to anyone who kept pushing and helped narrow down the probable root cause of that stupid limit. honestly would not have thought of that being something they compile into the kernel

Thanks, this is great to know-- install OS from the distro instead of the local OVH version. I've had several OVH servers over the years and always used the OVH installation and seemingly been fine, but I haven't used these ARM servers before. Now I'm thinking of ditching my KS-2E in favor of one of the ARM boxes.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

So, the speed problem can be resolved by using the official kernel, but how about IPv6?

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2018

Falzo said: (note that this will ask you to abort because it's the running kernel, but that's what we really wanna do, so you need to choose 'no' from the dialog to not abort)

How are you getting it to use the new kernel? I removed all armada and install regular kernel but it still keeps booting with Linux sysarm 4.5.2-armada375 #1 SMP Tue Oct 25 11:52:56 CEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

-edit- well regardless of what it says it's booting with...just tested speed and IT WORKS! Going to test files served by Nginx now!! Thank you so much @Falzo

root@sysarmsrver:~# iperf -c iperf.online.net

[ 3] local 54.39.62.160 port 37136 connected with 62.210.18.40 port 5001
    [ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 3] 0.0-10.0 sec 378 MBytes 316 Mbits/sec

• FredQcFredQc Member

@sin said:

Falzo said: (note that this will ask you to abort because it's the running kernel, but that's what we really wanna do, so you need to choose 'no' from the dialog to not abort)

How are you getting it to use the new kernel? I removed all armada and install regular kernel but it still keeps booting with Linux sysarm 4.5.2-armada375 #1 SMP Tue Oct 25 11:52:56 CEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

-edit- well regardless of what it says it's booting with...just tested speed and IT WORKS! Going to test files served by Nginx now!! Thank you so much @Falzo

Just to be sure, did you update GRUB ?

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2018

FredQc said: Just to be sure, did you update GRUB ?

There's no grub packages installed with the Debian 9 template from SYS...was going to install them but didn't want to fuck things up and have to reinstall.

It works though!! Just tested downloading a 200MB file from my SYS ARM to my Ramnode VPS and I was hitting 20MB/sec!

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2018

@v3ng said:
    So, the speed problem can be resolved by using the official kernel, but how about IPv6?

as far as I can see, they removed every single mentioning from the offer pages. so don't bet on that ...

sin said: How are you getting it to use the new kernel? I removed all armada and install regular kernel but it still keeps booting with Linux sysarm 4.5.2-armada375 #1 SMP Tue Oct 25 11:52:56 CEST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

yeah saw that too, obviously it's pulling that string from /proc/sys/kernel/osrelease which did not change during that procedure. I can't tell yet how to change that, maybe have to take a closer look from rescue as that's also hindering further fiddeling with kernel modules. (it should use the manually installed kernel though)

there is no grub ;-)

Thanked by 2sin FredQc
  • FredQcFredQc Member

@sin said:

There's no grub packages installed with the Debian 9 template from SYS...was going to install them but didn't want to fuck things up and have to reinstall.

Oh... you are right... even with the distrib kernel! Strange.

• sinsin Member

Thanks so much @Falzo and everyone else!

• their storage servers allows ssh access and installment of lets encrypt?

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2018

What's funny is I'm hitting 50MB/sec on the upload speed and it's supposed to be limited to 250Mbits lol

• FredQcFredQc Member

@sin said:
    What's funny is I'm hitting 50MB/sec on the upload speed and it's supposed to be limited to 250Mbits lol

Yeah, I was hitting 140MB/s to my DO Droplet in NY-3, much much more than the speed advertised. But I guess we shouldn't brag too much about it or take this for granted... :P

• NihimNihim Member

would there be any point @falzo to send that to the support and insist it gets passed to the net team in the rare chance it well does?

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@Falzo said:

@v3ng said:

as far as I can see, they removed every single mentioning from the offer pages. so don't bet on that ...

https://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres/1801armada01.xml

"/64"

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Nihim said:
    would there be any point @falzo to send that to the support and insist it gets passed to the net team in the rare chance it well does?

I don't think so.

obviously they compiled that connection limit stuff as some kind of traffic shaping or whatever into the kernel on purpose. so they will already know about and that's also why they can't easily do anything about it. they'd need to change their templates or installation process. it also seems weird that some people even don't get the distro kernel if they choose so...

@Shot2 said:

@Falzo said:

https://www.soyoustart.com/fr/offres/1801armada01.xml

"/64"

afaik that .xml isn't directly linked on their normal offer pages, is it?

• FredQcFredQc Member

Just saw this

In French they says that each server has a network connection up to 2.5Gbps o_o

The page in English doesn't have that sentence.

Interesting!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The NIC is 2.5Gbit, but the guarantee is just 250Mbit which you can exceed often.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • Nice, replacing armada with 4.9.0-6-arrmp works wonders:

root@storage:~# speedtest-cli --server 9916    
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from OVH Hosting (54.39.XX.XXX)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Retrieving information for the selected server...
    Hosted by fdcservers.net (Los Angeles, CA) [3967.05 km]: 86.813 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 136.71 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
    Upload: 213.91 Mbit/s

No grub, and uname -r still says 4.5.2-armada375 for some reason.

Now I buy their explanation.

• twaintwain Member
    edited June 2018

@sundaymouse said:
    Nice, replacing armada with 4.9.0-6-arrmp works wonders:

root@storage:~# speedtest-cli --server 9916    
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from OVH Hosting (54.39.XX.XXX)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Retrieving information for the selected server...
    Hosted by fdcservers.net (Los Angeles, CA) [3967.05 km]: 86.813 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 136.71 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
    Upload: 213.91 Mbit/s

No grub, and uname -r still says 4.5.2-armada375 for some reason.

Now I buy their explanation.

But wasn't their explanation "Hey customer, take it up with ARM," not "Oh yeah, hey, we implemented a custom kernel into our templates (even if you tick 'Use distribution kernel') that cripples the upload speed of the NIC."

I guess they wanted us to investigate with ARM, how their custom kernel tramples all over the NIC driver??

Thanked by 1sin
  • contactwajeehcontactwajeeh Member
    edited June 2018

Can we do something similar on Ubuntu, to fix the upload speeds?

• @willie said:

Falzo said:

I installed Debian 9 but when I try to apt install linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp, I get:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp'
    E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp'

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks !

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

@wlambrechts said:

@willie said:

Falzo said:

I installed Debian 9 but when I try to apt install linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp, I get:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.9.0-5-armmp'
    E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.9.0-5-armmp'

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks !

Try apt install linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp