Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOLUSVM acquired by PLESK - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SOLUSVM acquired by PLESK

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Maybe they will really work on their fabled "new version" now instead of just saying it over, over and dangit over.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    Lol. Reminds me the IPv6 subnet routing discussion we had with them on behalf of our common Customer. They were completely clueless.

Still they are not cheat & lazy.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Due to upgrades on our billing system, we've been forced to cancel all PayPal subscriptions and agreements. If you currently pay for any products with a subscription or agreement, then please read on.

Ouch. I think plesk is going to see a bit more of a dive in revenue than usual from a takeover - idlers forgetting to pay.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

hope not @virtualizor sell itself to cpanel or somebody :D

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@hostdare said:
    hope not @virtualizor sell itself to cpanel or somebody :D

Probably not. They are gaining market now and the development is quite active.

They might sell it once it becomes a cash cow and the developers start becoming lazy and throwing false promise for a v2 XD

Anyways, as far as I know Softcaulous and their team, they have only grown since their inception.

• Maybe @Clouvider was talking to the wrong guy. Many people there have no idea about the backend. Ask them to connect you to a 'dev' or possibly if you can get a hold of Chirag, you should be good.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@SolidxGaming said:
    Maybe @Clouvider was talking to the wrong guy. Many people there have no idea about the backend. Ask them to connect you to a 'dev' or possibly if you can get a hold of Chirag, you should be good.

Sadly it was a dev.

• williewillie Member

What does Solus actually do that makes it such a big deal? This is just the control panel thingy that starts and stops vm's right? I can understand cpanel being a complicated product because of its integration with dozens of other applications, but is Solus more than a web wrapper for a few virtualization CLI's?

• BruceBruce Member

lol

• Interesting, this will give more momentum to development or it will remain stagnant?

The birth of PleskolusVM.

Thanked by 2Dustlab fleio
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@willie said:
    What does Solus actually do that makes it such a big deal? This is just the control panel thingy that starts and stops vm's right? I can understand cpanel being a complicated product because of its integration with dozens of other applications, but is Solus more than a web wrapper for a few virtualization CLI's?

Market cap.

In the current market there's SolusVM and Virtualizor and Solus has like 75% of the share. OnApp doesn't really compete in that market at all due to the cost.

Solus is more or less printing money at this point with minimal to no real overhead. They have to pay for some servers to handle distribution but it's easy to find some cheap unmetered boxes around the market.

OnApp has proven that you can distribute updates that were 6 months in the making and encompassed nothing more than a copyright update, and you suckers are going to just have to suck it up and deal with it.

The big question is, is VM2 ever going to come out? Or is it just a cash infusion?

Francisco

Thanked by 1CloudxtnyHost
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Plesk is on top of their game right now IMO. I don't know if this is good news, but it certainly isn't bad news based on the buyer alone. Then again neither was the last one.

Thanked by 1SolusVM
  • VitaVita Member
    edited June 2018

Wondering for how much really did Plesk acquire SolusVM.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Excellent news. Spoke to Phill about this today, and am exciting, this means that finally, SolusVM will have some updates. Plesk dev team is quite huge.

In regards to OnApp / Terry, leave OnApp alone. SolusVM is no longer tied to OnApp, so this is about Plesk + SolusVM + Phill, our awesome guy.

Thanked by 1SolusVM
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Vita said:

$7?

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited June 2018

@MikePT said:
    Excellent news. Spoke to Phill about this today, and am exciting, this means that finally, SolusVM will have some updates. Plesk dev team is quite huge.

In regards to OnApp / Terry, leave OnApp alone. SolusVM is no longer tied to OnApp, so this is about Plesk + SolusVM + Phill, our awesome guy.

To be honest, not that I have any personal beef with OnApp, but for those who do (in relation to Solus) I don't think it's really fair to say leave them alone. Yes, they sold, but they were responsible for the product for how many years? Not like they can be forgotten overnight. Judge them on the past and judge plesk on the future

Thanked by 2MikeA BlaZe
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Vita said:

Million or two probably.

Solus has a good few clients but most sales are '1 year of revenue'.

Francisco

I believe the amount they paid to acquire the asset was 666,666 USD.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited June 2018

Solus is basically abandoned. The code is probably so terrible that OnApp didn't really wanted to push forward with it.

This is the time for the panties companies to actually put some effort and do some in-house development. Or just go the ez route and buy some Virtualizor until the history repeat.

Thanked by 1WebProject

@Hxxx said:
    Solus is basically abandoned. The code is probably so terrible that OnApp didn't really wanted to push forward with it.

This is the time for the panties companies to actually put some effort and do some in-house development. Or just go the ez route and buy some Virtualizor until the history repeat.

I doubt the code is terrible.

@Hoost said:

@MikePT said:

To be honest, not that I have any personal beef with OnApp, but for those who do (in relation to Solus) I don't think it's really fair to say leave them alone. Yes, they sold, but they were responsible for the product for how many years? Not like they can be forgotten overnight. Judge them on the past and judge plesk on the future

But its no longer owned by OnApp. So why are you trying to find someone to blame? It was acquired by Plesk. A major player in this market. Its good news.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

I personally see this as a good thing. Plesk and Parallels split a while ago and ever since has actually come on tremendously as a product. I have been using Plesk for many many years and if what they have been doing with Oynx is a sign of what could happen with Solus... I'm all ears.

Perhaps they will integrate SVM in to Plesk (that's not too far from what is possible... they already are starting to work on native docker container hosting support - bringing in other virtualization corners more of the market.)

They'll either finish SV2 or set it out to compete in a "cloud" industry. Here's hoping to Hyper-V support.

Thanked by 1SolusVM
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited June 2018

@MikePT said:

@Hoost said:

@MikePT said:

But its no longer owned by OnApp. So why are you trying to find someone to blame? It was acquired by Plesk. A major player in this market. Its good news.

I'm just saying, Plesk hasn't been responsible for any changes or updates as of yet, so anybody with problems with OnApp, theyre still gonna feel them until Plesk start implementing their own stuff and they judge based on that =]

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

@MikePT said:

@Hxxx said:

I doubt the code is terrible.

Have you seen the database structure of solusvm? Back in the days when I wrote an importer from solusVM to F-Com (our own control panel) I facepalmed a lot.

• LeviLevi Member

FR_Michael said: I facepalmed a lot.

Could you please provide some constructive review of what you found on their DB structure? From my POV Solus DB structure reflects the way how developer thinks. And this can't be unified to all developers taste.

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

if anyone could do better they would have by now, there has been time and opportunity and a massive amount of evidence that retire in 3 years level money is available.

Let's remember that solusvm was the leader of the pack and the most advanced for the $ panel available before OnApp bought it, the initial suspicion by most when OnApp bought it was that it was being bought to kill off as they would never let it impact their own business model.

4+ years later OnApp have done next to zero work on it, but the user base is still pretty good so it would be simply to much of a long lasting scar on their name to have a massive impact on the whole industry to simply EOL it, so they sold their shame.

Given the damage OnApp have done is no secret I don't think PLESK would have even considered this without a positive game plan and while OnApp only had something to lose by pushing SolusVM, PLESK have everything to gain.

Sure, virtualizor is feature Rich now, its good for end users, but it looks and feels like something dragged up from the 90's and coded at 10000 miles per hour with little concern for issues, "there was some error" the loging is none existent, every other release causes significant issues, in the last 6 months they have managed to force a release that kills virtio and reverts to ide silently, the random unclogged suspensions have come back on VZ, they still don't have any working alerting and let's not forget, they have been promising an admin UI update for 3 years too.

Virtualizor have done well to capitalise on OnApp's mistakes but they never did enough to take any significant market share as they focused on features over stability.

Either way it will be an exciting 6 months.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@LTniger said:

FR_Michael said: I facepalmed a lot.

Could you please provide some constructive review of what you found on their DB structure? From my POV Solus DB structure reflects the way how developer thinks. And this can't be unified to all developers taste.

That's more than 4 years ago, I am sorry but I don't remember the exact details.

When I wrote the converter, the database design was ... interesting... . Things like completely missing name conventions, stupid design decisions like creating dozen fields for contact numbers, inconsistent field content, ip information as varchars, missing keys and much more.
    I get paid for developing since 16 years and you are right that you cannot make it right for everyone but if you ask me you should at least fit the minimum standards
    like naming conventions, saving data in a proper way where you can work with it as easy as possible, work with keys and so on and even more when you sell it to customers.

To clarify, we are not selling our our control panel so I don't make any profit by telling bad things about solusVM. We used solusVM several years and decided to switch to our own plattform as we had outgrown solusVM and it's possibilities and had some nasty problems that the support was unable or unwilled to solve.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Unfortunately, some of you do not understand how much resources and time goes in developing a panel from scratch. Which would and should have been the case with SolusVM2. It's very possible that OnAPP actually had plans to develop it further, covering another segment of the industry - simple VPS vs HA Cloud, but at a later point decided that it's not worth it for them. What I see possible in near future - fixing of some existing bugs (As long as existing code is not as bad as I assume it is). Which would be a good start. I am pretty sure that we're all seeing a shift in the type of offerings lately and at this point I am not really sure that even Plesk will develop a v2 of this software.

Our inhouse dev team has been working on an in-house panel for a long time now and unfortunately, we're not approaching completion of all features we'd like to release along with proper auditing by outside company. Application design, UI concept, UX design and etc. are all parts of the process, prior any coding takes place, not to mention that there are other stuff that need to be addressed as well, when preparing to offer a commercial product.

Big players are already hitting the market hard with competitive and stable offers with a lot more features and flexibility than SolusVM/Virtualizor powered hosts. In my eyes, the next couple of years will slowly kill a big amount of providers, offering solely VMs based on cheap and rented hardware, backed by Solus/Virtualizor. (Not even taking in account the EOL of OVZ6). The rest of the providers have already shifted or will shift to inhouse panels, which actually would allow them to offer better services, tailored to their exact needs (same reason we are working on that).

NB. This is just me expressing a personal opinion. I very well might be wrong and have not targeted anyone with my words.