Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOLUSVM acquired by PLESK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SOLUSVM acquired by PLESK

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Dear anthony,

We’d like to share some exciting news about the future of SolusVM.

After many successful years as part of the OnApp family of companies, the next chapter has begun for us.

Effective June 06th, 2018 Plesk is taking over the assets of SolusVM for an undisclosed amount.

With this acquisition, SolusVM will become part of the Plesk product portfolio and development will continue within the agile and highly skilled Plesk R&D team. Plesk is fully committed to both SolusVM partners and customers. Our common goal is to unite our strengths and drive the future growth of the SolusVM suite of tools for your benefit. Together, we will deliver innovative solutions that add significant value for both our partners and end customers.

Founded in 1999, Plesk is a leading global WebOps and hosting software company. As of now, Plesk runs on over 380K server installations, hosts +11 million websites and +19 million mailboxes. It’s available in 32 languages, across 140 countries, with over 50% of the top 100 hosting and service providers worldwide partnering with Plesk today.

For our valued partners and customers, there will only be one immediate change. As a direct result of the acquisition, all existing SolusVM partnership agreements and customer contracts will be directly assumed by Plesk.

SolusVM business continues as usual, and your existing SolusVM accounts and support contacts will remain the same.

We would like to sincerely thank you for your business, and your trust in us. We’re looking forward to continuing our partnership and providing you with innovative solutions and services long into the future.

We’ve put together a short FAQ that you might find helpful - you can find it at: https://solusvm.com/plesk-faq.

In the meantime, if you have any questions about this news, please don’t hesitate to contact us via our support portal.

Best Regards,

Phill Bandelow and the SolusVM team.

Thanked by 2FlamesRunner SolusVM

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just got this email ^

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1ehhthing
  • @deank said:
    The end is nigh.

• edited June 2018

Is this good or bad? Can't get much worse than being almost completely abandoned by OnApp.

I don't know much about Plesk. Never used their stuff for anything.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    Is this good or bad? Can't get much worse than being almost completely abandoned by OnApp.

Imo depends if Phill is staying. I've opened a ticket to confirm.

Thanked by 1SolusVM
  • jhjh Member
    edited June 2018

"After many successful years as part of the OnApp family of companies"

Did I miss something? What about all of the OnApp developers working hard on V2? You can't take this away from them when they're so close.

Seriously though, this has to be a good thing for the product's development.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

Let's hope Plesk does not increase pricing in the near future

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Effective June 06th, 2018 Plesk is taking over the assets of SolusVM for an undisclosed amount.

Hey @OnApp_Terry - how much did OnApp have to pay Plesk to take Solus?

• edited June 2018

@jackb said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

Imo depends if Phill is staying. I've opened a ticket to confirm.

As far as I could tell, none of the original Solus people were involved in Solus anymore anyways.

I guess my thoughts are, onapp and solusvm had a huge conflict of interest and hard boundaries, what Ditlev planed to do with it (if you believe what he said publicly) failed badly so he has sold his shame.

That said, I assume there will also be conflict and hard boundaries within plesk which would lead you to think if plesk learn from Ditlev's/Onapp's mistakes that rather than working on a v2.2.2.2 they will instead just focus on a migration path to parallels

edited June 2018

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    As far as I could tell Phill was barely involved in Solus anyways.

Any time anything gets done its either Harsha or Phill. Phill for the difficult things.

SolusVM without Phill is just another piece of abandonware. There's a lot of product knowledge to transfer if Plesk would hope to succeed without him.

Thanked by 1SolusVM

jackb said: SolusVM without Phill is just another piece of abandonware.

Phill is staying and going over to plesk, confirmed.

Thanked by 4Cam jackb Aidan SolusVM
  • I honestly think Plesk wants to lean towards intergrating webhosting with vm all in one panel. Idk Tho, but it seems like a common sense direction...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

FoxelVox said: I honestly think Plesk wants to lean towards intergrating webhosting with vm all in one panel. Idk Tho, but it seems like a common sense direction...

Solus, though, is not a webhosting platform...people run entire companies that have nothing to do with webhosting yet still use Solus (e.g., gameservers, minecraft, VPNs, etc.)

AnthonySmith said: That said, I assume there will also be conflict and hard boundaries within plesk which would lead you to think if plesk learn from Ditlev's/Onapp's mistakes that rather than working on a v2.2.2.2 they will instead just focus on a migration path to parallels

Exactly. OnApp executed idiotically here...buy Solus and then never deliver 2.0 and never deliver an easy, attractive migration path to their home products.

Solus to me seems like something that I'd install with a git clone rather than buying...I mean, it's not exactly a hugely complicated product and I'm surprised it hasn't been cloned to oblivion now.

• Was planning to move everything over to Virtualizor. Now I may take a wait and see. Virtualizor is probably the safer bet as this could go either way.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2018

Oh my!

Hope this acquisition can help the sinking boat.

• @raindog308 said:

AnthonySmith said: Effective June 06th, 2018 Plesk is taking over the assets of SolusVM for an undisclosed amount.

Hey @OnApp_Terry - how much did OnApp have to pay Plesk to take Solus?

How much do you think? $7 ofc.

Thanked by 1PrestigeWS
  • edited June 2018

@raindog308 said:

FoxelVox said: I honestly think Plesk wants to lean towards intergrating webhosting with vm all in one panel. Idk Tho, but it seems like a common sense direction...

Solus, though, is not a webhosting platform...people run entire companies that have nothing to do with webhosting yet still use Solus (e.g., gameservers, minecraft, VPNs, etc.)

AnthonySmith said: That said, I assume there will also be conflict and hard boundaries within plesk which would lead you to think if plesk learn from Ditlev's/Onapp's mistakes that rather than working on a v2.2.2.2 they will instead just focus on a migration path to parallels

Exactly. OnApp executed idiotically here...buy Solus and then never deliver 2.0 and never deliver an easy, attractive migration path to their home products.

Solus to me seems like something that I'd install with a git clone rather than buying...I mean, it's not exactly a hugely complicated product and I'm surprised it hasn't been cloned to oblivion now.

OnApp probably bought it for the customers and not so much the software. On paper it probably looks like a good deal buy x number of customers for x dollars. They probably figured they could convert some of those customers to their WAY over priced cloud stuff which of course did not happen.

My guess is that Plesk is thinking exactly the same thing. Plesk seems like a more natural fit so they may have some success there. Not from me but maybe others.

• end of solus...

after using plesk and hsphere for years I migrated to cpanel.
    one more reason to migrate to @virtualizor

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    The way these things usually work is that they were buying it for the customers and not so much the software. They probably figured they could convert some of those customers to their over priced cloud stuff.

That doesn't work when you don't provide a migration path.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@AndreiGhesi said:
    end of solus...

and face a whole bunch of new bugs every time they release a new version, yeah.

Thanked by 1SolusVM
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

What is the relation between Plesk and Virtuozzo?

• @Clouvider said:

@AndreiGhesi said:
    end of solus...

From who? Virtualizor or Plesk?

• @Clouvider said:

@AndreiGhesi said:
    end of solus...

at least they have new versions with real features :)

Thanked by 3BlaZe MichaelCee iKeyZ
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@AndreiGhesi said:

... and they are willing to listen to their customer's query and not deliver fake promises or earn on the cash cow :D

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • Because Solus has toooooootally always been bug-free.

I dunno, hearing the name SolusVM just sounds like old news to me. Maybe that will change, maybe not.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

This is good to hear, I'm confident that Plesk will actually do something with it, considering I like their Plesk software and it has improved a ton over the past 2 years. It would have been nice if the OnApp people didn't lie about v2 though, gave them the benefit of the doubt too much.

I didn't get any email about this yet though.

Thanked by 1SolusVM
  • @MikeA said:
    This is good to hear, I'm confident that Plesk will actually do something with it, cons It would have been nice if the OnApp people didn't lie about v2 though, gave them the benefit of the doubt too much.

I didn't get any email about this yet though.

Well it definitely sounds like they want to do something with it, I mean, why else would you acquire something that's associated with lies and delays if they didn't want to change that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Plesk just raised rates not too long ago on their panel so don't hold your breath.

Francisco

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@BlaZe said:

@AndreiGhesi said:

... and they are willing to listen to their customer's query and not deliver fake promises or earn on the cash cow :D

Lol. Reminds me the IPv6 subnet routing discussion we had with them on behalf of our common Customer. They were completely clueless.