Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of this PC? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think of this PC?

13»

Comments

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited February 2012

Guys, I need your opinion.
    I have this Mac Lion;

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 3 GB

But when I test the hard disk drive speed (320Gig WD Scorpio Blue), the result never get more than this http://i.imgur.com/hBFD6.png
    Is it normal?

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2012

@NanoG6
    Probably it is, consider is a laptop hard drive, plus being a 5400RPM drive.

• @yomero
    Ya may be. I was just curious with my drive speed because @KuJoe mention about his "Western Digital Caviar 80GB SATA (80MB/s write speeds)" earlier :D

• It depends of several factors. At this time I remember these:

• The disks are faster at the start than at the end.
    • The disk controller.
    • The driver/OS.
    • Some other external activity (software using the disk).
    Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@NanoG6 Mine is a 3.5" 7200RPM drive, sorry for any confusion.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • @NanoG6 that sounds about right for a Scorpio Blue. Western Digital Black drives are much faster

• I run a Pentium 4 @ 3 Ghz. Runs all the latest games and everything great!

..............back in 2006! I cannot imagine using that ancient CPU no more. Not only is it a huge power hog, but it absolutely sucks in performance these days.....heck even my netbook's ATOM processor destroys this thing......

• @NateN34 said: I run a Pentium 4 @ 3 Ghz. Runs all the latest games and everything great!

..............back in 2006!

That's funny... because I can run Skyrim on my P4 with no issues.

• +1 I have no issues with this computer, Currently.

@TheHackBox said: That's funny... because I can run Skyrim on my P4 with no issues.

• What the hell is a P4 doing in a tower like that? My old destop had a P4 and my new one has an AMD a3600 APU Quad core 2.40ghz, 4GB DDR3 ram, and 1TB HDD all costed $350.00

• I don't have a clue who would put a Pentium 4 in a tower like this, It was kind of a "What Proccessor is it" situation as I seen it on GumTree and the owner didn't have any idea about computers so only listed the proccessor speed, I was hoping for a Dual Core but I looked at the system info when I got there to check it out and it was a Pentium 4.

I needed a new PC desperately as one more day of seeing that Ugly Ubuntu Interface and I would of jumped out of my window. It runs like a dream and I have no complaints so far.

@Jeffrey said: What the hell is a P4 doing in a tower like that? My old destop had a P4 and my new one has an AMD a3600 APU Quad core 2.40ghz, 4GB DDR3 ram, and 1TB HDD all costed $350.00

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited February 2012

@Jacob

And so the garbage Unity interface claims another victim... If I wanted a netbook optimized GUI I'd buy a netbook.

• @Jeffrey said: What the hell is a P4 doing in a tower like that?

I have a celeron dual core as home server (very powerful)... without case tower XDDDD

• @yomero I am using my asus eee 900 netbook, celeron single core 900mhz, 512mb ram runs great as a Debian server with OpenPanel for me. :)

• @Jeffrey
    I am thinking about using my netbook for the same (Atom N270), but sometimes I still carry it out of home u_u

• @yomero I only bring my Netbook out of the house when I go on vacation which is about twice a year. It's too slow for Adobe Flash. :/

• Even the atoms are slow for Flash ¬_¬

• use AMD C or E series.. atom sucks.. :P

Thanked by 1tux
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

@yomero said: Even the atoms are slow for Flash

That's why the better netbooks have GPUs dedicated to video. 720p playback on YouTube puts my Atom at less than 20%. I <3 Broadcom's Crystal HD chip.

• @Daniel agreed, most sets like that go out of country or at the market