Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of this PC? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think of this PC?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

Yup, the concept of LEB extends to home boxes also. :) Now everybody can see why I'm attracted to LEBs so much.

• @KuJoe said: Yup, the concept of LEB extends to home boxes also. :)

Considering I am used to running Linux or stripped down XP on a Pentium II ... I am ok with that ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@TheHackBox I'm changing my hostname on my home PC to your username, it fits it quite well since I'm always hacking away at it and pushing the Atom to its limits. :)

• @KuJoe said: @TheHackBox I'm changing my hostname on my home PC to your username, it fits it quite well since I'm always hacking away at it and pushing the Atom to its limits. :)

I have pushed my poor Pentium I, II, III machines to their limits many times. Mostly I have used them for either testing distros or running something like a LAMP server. Also I have a Dual Pentium III 1U rack server in my room.

• My laptop is dell insperon 1225 core 2 due 2.1 maybe i don't remeber 2 gb ram but i upgrade to 3 gb from few years ago it work fine about 3 years :D

• Mine is from 2007, athlon x2 2.0 with 2gb ddrII with on board VGA. It was $250 when I bought it, now no more than $50 maybe. And I still have Duron 800 mhz with 512 sdram and 32mb nvidia running a lenny on it, this one is about to reach 15th years old. :D

• Well the 2 graphic cards, and especially if it's working method is combining the two, is the good part of it, it will probably be comparable with many newer hardware (even though I think it won't support installing new Directx versions). As for the CPU, I imagine if it's 3ghz and above it's worth looking at (comparable and surpasses some netbook atom CPU, and some outdated Celeron laptops), also if the CPU has two threads like the last P4 releases, otherwise, it won't be that useful.
    RAM is the worst part for me. Luckily it has 2gb already, but the thing is if you can increase that or is it the maximum amount supported, then again if you can increase it it's very hard to get outdated DDR sticks. But 2gb is most likely filled to the max though, so it doesn't need a RAM upgrade.

• It is a bit slow ... what OS are you running?

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2012

We are running Intel P4 2.80GHz (Dell Optiplex GX280s) as our office machines with XP and they run nicely, saying that they aren't full of crap like most home PCs haha

Cost us about £90 for 4 Units with 17inch flat screen monitors, keyboards & mouses.

• @Jacob said: Intel Pentium 4(Don't laugh, Please!)

no i'm not. i still have one pentium 4 prescott 3.0Ghz socket 478 running on Slackware 11.. and i've had one AMD Barton 2500+ overclocked to 4400+ with abit nf-7 and handmade vapochill cooler but already dead because the mobo was broken. :D

• I have a P4 HT 3.2Ghz with iweb.com having 4Gig memory, 500GB hard and I keep it for rsync backups (paying $25/mo), it was a special I picked years ago. Runs pretty smooth

I have a home system running Celeron 1.2Ghz with 2GB ram, 80GB hard and its running linux, I use it to download files and save them on a WD-Drive via Ethernet interface. Has been working smoothly since many years now (started using it in 2000 and added the Ethernet WD later in 2010)

• Nothing up with P4's there quite fast. I still use a P4 3GHZ on one of my Machines and it easily beats my DC T7700 Laptop.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

2 Graphic Cards ? ATI ? MINE BITCOINS ! :P

• Haha, They are to old for all that nonsense and there is no money in bitcoins anymore.

• speedy007speedy007 Member
    edited February 2012

@Jacob You should have checked this out first if you are in the UK Link

• @speedy007
    I'm Pretty much set now, Just need my dual monitors and It will be a beast!

Wiping my Dell Optiplex booting from Live CD and using "shred" to wipe it 6 layers/times. If anyone is Interested in buying let me know, I can provide Win XP Disc and the License is already on the case on a sticker.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

@Jacob said: Wiping my Dell Optiplex booting from Live CD and using "shred" to wipe it 6 layers/times. If anyone is Interested in buying let me know, I can provide Win XP Disc and the License is already on the case on a sticker.

I thought you could only use OEM discs on 1 computer.

• @Infinity said: I thought you could only use OEM discs on 1 computer.

The OEM license is good only for the original computer it came with. If you have a Dell computer with an OEM sticker on it, you can use that license key on that computer only, using any OEM disc. Example: you could use an HP OEM disc but put the OEM key you got from Dell in.

@u4ia said: The OEM license is good only for the original computer it came with. If you have a Dell computer with an OEM sticker on it, you can use that license key on that computer only, using any OEM disc. Example: you could use an HP OEM disc but put the OEM key you got from Dell in.

Indeed, that's what I thought too. I think it even says on the disc that it's not for relsale.

• nabonabo Member
    edited February 2012

@Infinity said: Indeed, that's what I thought too. I think it even says on the disc that it's not for relsale.

That depends on the jurisdiction you're in. http://www.usedsoft.com/en/faq.html

Thanked by 1tux
  • I think my phone has more processing power.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • At first I thought OP was just trolling then I was sad for him when he was serious :p

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Why are you discussion Windows licensing? Do it like everybody else and just pirate it
    Or buy a copy of Windows XP, its just 20€ or so

edited February 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Do it like everybody else and just pirate it

Well, I'm an exception. I bought a genuine license, it was only like £50 for 7 Home Premium at Novatech. Not that I like Winblows, I hate it.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2012

I plan on getting a Quad Core soon, Most likely I will use this case and just buy a new mobo and CPU / Graphics card, etc..

Considering this PC is only going to be used for SSH Sessions, WHMCS, Burning ISOs, Live Chat, Skype. That's what I currently have open and it is faster then my old one. :-)

@matt_securedspeed said: At first I thought OP was just trolling then I was sad for him when he was serious :p

@Jacob said: That's what I currently have open and it is faster then my old one. :-)

Hmm.. Why don't you just go for a quad core now instead of waiting. ;)

• Because, My budget right now was upto £200. Spending £200 on a computer which will be faster but not a really sensible option and hardware pricing decreases rapidly as new hardware comes and goes.

Honestly, I seen this on GumTree and the case was amazing. I went on seen it on the day and paid with cash.

Since then I have replaced the RAM, New HardDrive coming soon, Sorted all the messy cabling out which was touching the fans and causing more heat. The case is officially dust free since I blew it out with a air compressor.

@Infinity said: Hmm.. Why don't you just go for a quad core now instead of waiting. ;)

@Jacob said: My budget right now was upto £200.

Bump that up by £200 more ;) I paid £400 for my quad core build, got all of my parts from Novatech and built myself.

• There is a 80GB 7,200 RPM Drive in it at the momment, I had some spare drives left over from my other build so I tested them today and both non working so my 160GB should be here within the week.

@DotVPS said: What disks are currently in it?

• The drives are IDE.