Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of this PC?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think of this PC?

JacobJacob Member
edited February 2012 in General

http://imgur.com/xjdQY

Got this today, What ya think! :-)
3 Fans, 2 Graphics Card, Intel Pentium 4(Don't laugh, Please!), 2GB DDR RAM, Soon to be 160GB WD HardDrive(Shipping takes time) and ofcourse BLUE LEDs...!

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2012

It's all the Mobo supports, It is a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK.

@DotVPS said: Why a P4?

• ROFL ROFL! XD

Well, yes, how much? Free!? Otherwise probably wasn't the best bet.

• Those old P4s will probably end up costing you more in electricity and cooling than you saved by not buying a new PC. ;)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I had to check my calendar to see if it was still 2001... I really hope you didn't pay more than $50 for that whole setup.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2012

It actually runs pretty smooth, I paid £70 for it today and have some old computers to trade into my local PC guy.

I traded him my old Advent 5611 Laptop, Intel celeron D, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD and he gave me £25. Ideally I wanted £30 it needed the DC Power Block replacing but this was only a assumption by me so he may strip it and proberly get double his cash back.
    (He Previously Quoted me £70 to fix the laptop, Paid £329 from PCWorld 3 years ago).

@yomero said: ROFL ROFL! XD
    Well, yes, how much? Free!? Otherwise probably wasn't the best bet.

• I think this conversation is going to go offtopic alot :P
    Anyway, It runs and works like a dream so It was worth the money and I found the guy on gumtree.

@KuJoe said: I had to check my calendar to see if it was still 2001... I really hope you didn't pay more than $50 for that whole setup.

• I have that case. It's housing a P4 3.2ghz. He must have broken into my garage, stolen it from me, then sold it to you!

• Lies! I'll give it you back next year..When I replace the ram sticks with dynamite.

@Damian4IPXcore said: I have that case. It's housing a P4 3.2ghz. He must have broken into my garage, stolen it from me, then sold it to you!

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • Looks good :).

When you get some extra cash, you can pop in a Intel Atom and 4GB of ram.
    Dual Core, 4 threads, 4GB of ram for $90 ;).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226025

It will look real new then :).

Since we're talking about "new" PCs... here's my new desktop PC's specs I built for free over the weekend (people never strip their old PCs when they throw them out so everything was found except for the WD drive that I got from school):

Gateway tower case w/Intel mobo, PSU, and DVD+-RW.
    HANNS-G JW199D LCD
    Intel Core2 4300 (1.8GHz)
    1GB DDR2 (additional 2GB in the mail)
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB SATA (only 38MB/s write speeds)
    Western Digital Caviar 80GB SATA (80MB/s write speeds)
    nVidia GeForce 7300 GT 256MB GDDR2
    OR
    AMD Radeon HD 5450 1GB GDDR3

I have both video cards to test out and see which one runs my games better (so far the 7300 GT runs Fallout 3 and L4D in the highest res without a problem but the HD 5450 provider better video playback). I have both hard drives in a RAID0 setup which only gives me 113MB/s write speeds but it's good enough for gaming and makes the Seagate usable, if it fails I don't care since it's only for gaming and streaming movies.

Total cost: $27.99 to add 2GB of RAM to it.

I still use my HP Mini 210 as my primary workstation though, just without the dual monitors. :(

• I plan on keeping this for 3 Months atleast, Hoping the next one I get is a Quad Core but I really bought this because the case looked amazing on the picture and the Fans and the LEDs...Just completes it, Ofcourse the Amazing "Pentium 4" aswell.

@Derek said: Looks good :).

When you get some extra cash, you can pop in a Intel Atom and 4GB of ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226025

It will look real new then :).

• That is next on my list, Dual Monitors... I'm sick of these little cramped workspaces! IT'S TIME TO EXPAND!

@KuJoe said: I still use my HP Mini 210 as my primary workstation though, just without the dual monitors. :(

• My current desktop:
    Gigabyte MiniITX w/core i3 (HD3000 graphics) and 8gb DDR3
    2 hard drives, just pick which one I want to boot in the bios.
    1st hard drive boots OSX Lion, 2nd boots Windows 7 or Ubuntu 10.04 via grub.
    Was actually pretty cheap, only have a few hundred USD into it, and the Intel graphics are actually quite good. Started off just as a project to get OSX without paying Apple prices :)

• @Derek said: When you get some extra cash, you can pop in a Intel Atom and 4GB of ram.

Sadly there's no newegg in europe and electronics seems way expensier than in States.
    @Jacob I am glad that you enjoy in your new toy :) Recently I sold my old IBM thinkcentre 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (something like http://i43.tinypic.com/20qmjyb.jpg) to co-worker which I don't like much (that's important part!) for unbelievable 50euros.

• Honestly, You can either spend £50 on a horrible case and a P4 or I can spend more and get a awesome case. The guy originally wanted £85 but I got him down to £70.

• I still use a Pentium 4 at 3.40 ghz as my main desktop. I have had no issues with it what so ever.

• See, These old computers are more reliable in my opinion. If you know how to tweak it to get it running smoothly then nothing wrong with them.

@TheHackBox said: I still use a Pentium 4 at 3.40 ghz as my main desktop. I have had no issues with it what so ever.

• @Jacob said: See, These old computers are more reliable in my opinion. If you know how to tweak it to get it running smoothly then nothing wrong with them.

Did I mention that I installed up to 6 linux distros on it, OS X and Windows XP/7.

• I couldn't imagine running a p4!

• @Kairus said: I couldn't imagine running a p4!

My laptop is a single core @ 2.20 ghz. Can do anything I want really.

• +1 nothing wrong with a Pentium 4 at all, I am actually selling my old Dell Optiplex GX270 on eBay P4 in it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320848775844?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

@TheHackBox said: @Kairus said: I couldn't imagine running a p4!

My laptop is a single core @ 2.20 ghz. Can do anything I want really.

edited February 2012

There is a difference between using a P4 and paying for one. Older hardware will usually be more expensive than newer hardware when it comes to replacements and upgrades. How much does a 512MB stick of DDR cost these days?

• I guess I should not mention that I donate Core2Duo's (including Wolfdales) on a weekly basis at work? 2-4GB ram (no drives though) DVD burners and all.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2012

Ha! I've got you beat! My laptop that i'm typing to you on right now, and is my main computer, is a Toshiba C655D-S5133, running a single-core 1.5ghz AMD E-240 processor. This wimpy processor is just fast enough to view youtube/dailymotion videos, but is low-power enough to give me a netbook-like 8+ hours of battery life, in a package with a full size screen and a keypad.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck running Windows 7 on it, because the retarded Insyde H20 BIOS isn't fully supported under Linux yet. Sigh.

• I tried using the RAM out of my Optiplex since it is all DDR PC2700, All same makes but it was not having it unfortunately.. Not sure why but I need some new sticks and will get my hard drive soon.

@KuJoe said: There is a difference between using a

P4 and paying for one. Older hardware will usually be more expensive than newer hardware when it comes to replacements and upgrades. How much does a 512MB stick of DDR cost these days?

• @Damian4IPXcore said: Ha! I've got you beat! My laptop that i'm typing to you on right now, and is my main computer, is a Toshiba C655D-S5133, running a single-core 1.5ghz AMD E-240 processor.

Mine is the AMD V120 at 2.20 ghz. About the same actually. However, I run linux and windows 7 on mine. Also Virtualbox somehow works on it.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Mine is Lenovo AMD E-300 (dual core), 4GB RAM, 320GB DD, $368 dollars minus 61 dollars rebate... 18 months 0 interest financing... it is not a netbook, it is a notebook

• @Damian4IPXcore said: Unfortunately, I'm stuck running Windows 7 on it, because the retarded Insyde H20 BIOS isn't fully supported under Linux yet. Sigh.

Hey? Try out Ubuntu on it, they have a official Flash Drive Image installation kit. I run a Toshiba NB505 and it works flawlessly.

CentOS 6 on the desktop through.

I used my HP Mini-Note 2133 for years as my primary PC (VMWare, video editing, and gaming). VIA C7-M 1.6GHz with 2GB of RAM and a Chrome9 IGP. I ran Windows XP Pro for a few years then switched to Fedora then to ArchBang then Windows 7 before buying my Mini 210. Still use the 2133 for development and network testing.

My home server is only an Intel Atom 230 with 2GB of RAM but it costs me less than $15/year to run 24x7 shell scripts and backups. My current server replaced my 8 core Opteron with 14GB of RAM. Like a boss! :)

• @KuJoe said: I used my HP Mini-Note 2133 for years as my primary PC (VMWare, video editing, and gaming). VIA C7-M 1.6GHz with 2GB of RAM and a Chrome9 IGP.

So apparently some of us have low end systems too :P