Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup Generation 8 Root Servers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup Generation 8 Root Servers

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Nice and tempting offers.

I purchased the Easter special Root-Server Eierkanone, which is comparable to the RS 1000 G8. The main advantage of the latter is the new processor, but otherwise the former wins with its 400 GB SAS and the three-month contract period (vs 12 months for the same price). So I'm happy with the Root-Server Eierkanone. :-)

(That said, it would be interesting to compare the benchmarks of these two servers.)

• neikneik Member

@Falzo said:

neik said: So, you will be limited to 10Mbit/s if your average is higher than 80Mbit/s for more than a hour.

but only after you burned through 80TB beforehand... who will even come close to that?

Are you sure about that? I was thinking the same and asked the support about that. Unless I misunderstood them you do not have to hit the limit before.

• athanathan Member
    edited May 2018

I've got an RS-1000-G8 (SSD); definitely fast and bold when first installed.
    Log in three hours later, performance gone down a lot, IOPS gone down a big and the whole instance stutters like it was fully swapped out to disk...

RAM doesn't look very ..."dedicated" :)

I really wanted to keep this but honestly, I'm not impressed at all

Thanked by 2NanoG6 pullangcubo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@neik said:

@Falzo said:

neik said: So, you will be limited to 10Mbit/s if your average is higher than 80Mbit/s for more than a hour.

but only after you burned through 80TB beforehand... who will even come close to that?

Are you sure about that? I was thinking the same and asked the support about that. Unless I misunderstood them you do not have to hit the limit before.

yes I am sure. in the german text it says:

Werden innerhalb eines Monats mehr als 80 TB Traffic verbraucht und zusätzlich durchgehend über einen Zeitraum von mehr als 60 Minuten durchschnittlich mehr als 80 MBit/s Bandbreite belegt ...

which essential means in addition or on top of that :-)

it's been a comparable regulation before, just with lower numbers and in addition has been discussed on their forums too. also note the can be limited phrasing - they don't limit automatically but only manually after review.

as said before that's essentially a limit to be able to do something against abuse and suspicious behaviour, but I doubt if the 80TB are now the limit, that's coming into play ever again.

Thanked by 2vimalware neik
  • @athan said:
    Log in three hours later, performance gone down a lot, IOPS gone down a big and the whole instance stutters like it was fully swapped out to disk...

Perhaps you can post a benchmark :-)

• athanathan Member
    edited May 2018

@pullangcubo said:

Perhaps you can post a benchmark :-)

Benchmarks are pointless in real life.

Timing a project build at 6pm (2:20) and 10pm (4:08) or experiencing stuttering when instance resumes from being swapped out say more than any benchmark, at least to me. :)

@athan said:

RAM doesn't look very ..."dedicated" :)

I really wanted to keep this but honestly, I'm not impressed at all

Although I don't doubt what you say, it seems strange that this would be anything but a temporary condition due to a significant number of new deployments and everyone's running benchmarks at the same time. I mean, if everyone consistently experiences what you have, the whole product line will be a massive failure. (By the way, what do you mean by "RAM doesn't look very ..."dedicated" :)"?)

Thanked by 1FHR
  • neikneik Member

@Falzo, big thanks for the clarification! Netcup offers got even more attractive.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • price is good, but i have heard alot of bad things about their billing and fees for canceling or late paying are extremely high, so when you cancel your order you be paying like 70-100 euro fee? anyone heard about it?
    plus seems like their ddos protection kind of limited and even lower than basic 5gb/s ?

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited May 2018

@Advicerxyz said:
    price is good, but i have heard alot of bad things about their billing and fees for canceling or late paying are extremely high, so when you cancel your order you be paying like 70-100 euro fee? anyone heard about it?
    plus seems like their ddos protection kind of limited and even lower than basic 5gb/s ?

Its more like a bank. If you not pay your recurring invoices, you will be kicked hard. Too hard.

If your server deactivated because of abuse problem, you have to pay 30 euro to activate it again
    If you order an additional IP and you want to move your IP to another server, 40euro

BUT

If you pay the invoices in time you will be okay.
    If you reply to abuse reports within 24 hour you will be okay
    If you cancel it correctly in the control panel you will be okay.
    If your IP get blacklisted, act quick.

Standard things, i working for a german company now, and same things. STRICT rules everywhere.

But after all.. stable network and servers.

DDOS?
    Once my server attacked and they are always defended my server without any problem.

Threshold Packets: 30000 packets/s

Sum Packets: 29655750 packets/300s (98852 packets/s)

Sum Bytes: 35.58 GByte/300s (971.54 MBit/s)

Thanked by 1atomi
  • FalzoFalzo Member

Advicerxyz said: so when you cancel your order you be paying like 70-100 euro fee?

no worries, whoever told you that, it's simply not true or missing a bigger part of the story.
    for their rootserver line-up they even give a 30 day satisfaction guarantee after the initial order which one can claim and get eventually paid money on your order back in full.

if you want to normally end an active service you still need to cancel 31 days before the renewal date. but that should be it and can be done via their control panel.

only if you miss this date or think you can let it simply expire, then indeed you are in the wrong and they will continue to charge you with the ongoing costs and probably even send a collection agency after you if you don't pay.
    so always read and understand ToS of providers you want to deal with. ;-)

• vmp32kvmp32k Member

Do they expose AVX from the host CPU? That could really help my workload.

• SilvestSilvest Member

Looks very promising, I might get the SAS RS4000 G8 and see how it goes.

• twaintwain Member
    edited June 2018

Picked up the 8G/320SAS - wow, extremely impressed!

Very fast in terms of latency/network (from America no lag in ssh, no difference that I can tell from an American-based VPS for me) and disk (getting 400-490 MB/s avg disk speed on the 320G SAS).

Nice customer and server control panel, I like the fact I can upload any ISO etc. That is very customer oriented.

Can't believe Netcup hadn't hit my radar before now. Seems like a great and solid provider from everything I've read and cursory experience so far. And, amazing prices for the service/product they are offering!

BTW, the default image was Debian8 + Froxlor CP. I won't be sticking with this OS/CP (will be doing Ubuntu+LXD/LXC+HAProxy), however, I didn't realize Froxlor was still around; I hadn't played with that in probably 8-10 years.

It's definitely low footprint, even with the standard Froxlor web services running, it's only using ~600M (~200M after cache) of memory. Obviously under 0 load (no websites running), however that's still pretty memory usage with those services running.

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    101MB/s
    Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      5.20MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   13.8MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   12.2MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   11.3MB/s
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   11.1MB/s
    Tokyo, Japan        Linode      3.74MB/s
    Singapore       Softlayer   10.6MB/s
    Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     73.7MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    92.8MB/s

# netstat -antup
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program 
    name
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:3306          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      873/mysqld
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:587             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1139/master
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:110             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      443/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:143             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1/init
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:465             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1139/master
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      433/named
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      485/sshd
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1139/master
    tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:953           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      433/named
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4190            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      443/dovecot
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:993             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1/init
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:995             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      443/dovecot
    tcp6       0      0 :::110                  :::*                    LISTEN      443/dovecot
    tcp6       0      0 :::143                  :::*                    LISTEN      1/init
    tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      527/apache2
    tcp6       0      0 :::21                   :::*                    LISTEN      885/proftpd: (accep
    tcp6       0      0 ::1:53                  :::*                    LISTEN      433/named
    tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      485/sshd
    tcp6       0      0 ::1:953                 :::*                    LISTEN      433/named
    tcp6       0      0 :::4190                 :::*                    LISTEN      443/dovecot
    tcp6       0      0 :::993                  :::*                    LISTEN      1/init
    tcp6       0      0 :::995                  :::*                    LISTEN      443/dovecot
    udp        0      0 127.0.0.1:53            0.0.0.0:*                           433/named
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:68              0.0.0.0:*                           389/dhclient
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:7366            0.0.0.0:*                           389/dhclient
    udp6       0      0 ::1:53                  :::*                                433/named
    udp6       0      0 :::51016                :::*                                389/dhclient

# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          8005        636       7368         18         25        433
    -/+ buffers/cache:        177       7827
    Swap:         3899          0       3899

Thanked by 2Falzo angstrom
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@twain said:

can you do a

cat /proc/cpuinfo 

and post the output for one of the cores here? thanks! ;-)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Sven said:
    I just received my RS 8000 G8. Looks great so far.
    Here is the geekbench4 result: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/8142019

That's very impressive!

• twaintwain Member
    edited June 2018

@Falzo said:

@twain said:

can you do a

cat /proc/cpuinfo 

and post the output for one of the cores here? thanks! ;-)

============

Pasting output from 2nd processor below. Let me know if you need anything else.

processor   : 1
    vendor_id   : GenuineIntel
    cpu family  : 6
    model       : 85
    model name  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    stepping    : 4
    microcode   : 0x1
    cpu MHz     : 2294.610
    cache size  : 16384 KB
    physical id : 0
    siblings    : 2
    core id     : 1
    cpu cores   : 2
    apicid      : 1
    initial apicid  : 1
    fpu     : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level : 13
    wp      : yes
    flags       : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat     
    pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc     
    arch_perfmon rep_good nopl xtopology eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid 
    sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand 
    hypervisor lahf_lm abm 3dnowprefetch arat xsaveopt invpcid_single fsgsbase tsc_adjust 
    bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm mpx avx512f rdseed adx smap clflushopt 
    avx512cd
    bogomips    : 4589.22
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

Thanked by 2Silvest Falzo
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2018

Falzo said: and post the output for one of the cores here? thanks! ;-)

processor       : 1
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 85
    model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    stepping        : 4
    microcode       : 0x1
    cpu MHz         : 2294.610
    cache size      : 16384 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 2
    core id         : 1
    cpu cores       : 2
    apicid          : 1
    initial apicid  : 1
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 13
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 
    clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon 
    rep_good nopl xtopology cpuid pni pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic 
    movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm abm 
    3dnowprefetch invpcid_single pti fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid 
    rtm mpx avx512f avx512dq rdseed adx smap clflushopt clwb avx512cd avx512bw avx512vl 
    xsaveopt xsavec xgetbv1 xsaves arat pku ospke
    bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2
    bogomips        : 4589.22
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

I have it 1 month and I am really impressed. Do anyone want any bench?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2018
    Benchmark started on Sun Jun  3 23:35:57 EEST 2018
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    CPU Cores       : 2
    Frequency       : 2294.610 MHz
    Memory          : 7976 MB
    Swap            :  MB
    Uptime          : 25 days, 2:34,

OS              : Debian GNU/Linux 9
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 4.15.15-1-pve
    Hostname        : xxxxxxxxx

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 185xxxxxxxx

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        79.9MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         20.7MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        78.2MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 206 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 453 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 462 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 373.667 MB/s

Thanked by 1dev_vps
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@jvnadr
    wanna do a serverscope.io bench? :P

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Ympker said: @jvnadr wanna do a serverscope.io bench? :P

Sure, when ready I'll post the results

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2018

Se, here are the tests. I also did a test to my G7 similar specs server for comparison:

NETCUP gen8, 2 DEDICORES ROOT SERVER

Test results for root g8 at Netcup
    Server specs:
    2 × Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    8 GB RAM / 326 GB disk space
    Debian 9.4
    Germany
    Benchmark results summary:
    UnixBench - 1614.1
    Disk Read - 5 MB/s
    Disk Write - 938 MB/s
    Bandwidth - 584.47 MB/s
    More: https://serverscope.io/trials/aYmD

NETCUP G7, 2 DEDICORES ROOT SERVER

Test results for root g7 at Netcup
    Server specs:
    2 × Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz
    6 GB RAM / 318 GB disk space
    Debian 8.10
    Germany
    UnixBench - 1948.4
    Disk Read - 4 MB/s
    Disk Write - 195 MB/s
    Bandwidth - 695.77 MB/s
    More: https://serverscope.io/trials/EVrx

Both servers are in production state, both have proxmox and 2-3 instances on them (LXC), but Gen8 server do have more load carrying a much more loaded WP site on it, so, benchmark is not that fair compared to the latter gen7 server.

Thanked by 3Falzo Ympker ariq01
  • twaintwain Member

Proxmox on top of KVM eh? Any issues or caveats for installing on KVM? Did you use the Proxmox ISO, or the installer post-Debian-install?

edited June 2018

Good find, but note that the contract is for 6 months, so one would still have to pay for 3 months (9,99€/month). Nevertheless, it's a good deal if one would need the server for (say) no more than 6 months, but for a longer period of time (say, >1 year), it may be better to go with their (present) regular pricing, which is less than 9,99€/month.

Thanked by 1dergelbe
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

twain said: Proxmox on top of KVM eh? Any issues or caveats for installing on KVM? Did you use the Proxmox ISO, or the installer post-Debian-install?

It works like a charm, but for LXC only. If you want to enable nesting virtualization for KVM, then, IIRC netcup will charge you for that (you have to ask support to enable it for your vps and there is a monthly fee). If you try to create a vm without virtualization flags enabled, then, it will work but it will be slow.
    I am using NAT environment, so I have a single ipv4 on the g8 vps. I purchased an extra ipv4 for the older server and it is also works like a charm.
    I used debian installer, but you can upload proxmox iso thru netcup client area to do a bare metal install.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@jvnadr said:

Se, here are the tests. I also did a test to my G7 similar specs server for comparison:

NETCUP gen8, 2 DEDICORES ROOT SERVER

Test results for root g8 at Netcup
    Server specs:
    2 × Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6140 CPU @ 2.30GHz
    8 GB RAM / 326 GB disk space
    Debian 9.4
    Germany
    UnixBench - 1614.1
    Disk Read - 5 MB/s
    Disk Write - 938 MB/s
    Bandwidth - 584.47 MB/s
    More: https://serverscope.io/trials/aYmD

NETCUP G7, 2 DEDICORES ROOT SERVER

Test results for root g7 at Netcup
    Server specs:
    2 × Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz
    6 GB RAM / 318 GB disk space
    Debian 8.10
    Germany
    UnixBench - 1948.4
    Disk Read - 4 MB/s
    Disk Write - 195 MB/s
    Bandwidth - 695.77 MB/s
    More: https://serverscope.io/trials/EVrx

Both servers are in production state, both have proxmox and 2-3 instances on them (LXC), but Gen8 server do have more load carrying a much more loaded WP site on it, so, benchmark is not that fair compared to the latter gen7 server.

Thanks mate! Some nice benchmarks for sure :)

• Is there a minimum contract period on these servers?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@rchurch said:
    Is there a minimum contract period on these servers?

depends on what you choose while ordering. from one month up to yearly. you need to cancel 30 days in advance through their control panel...

only their new generation VPS range is billed hourly, but you still need to prepay for three months or so and get the rest refunded, if you remove the instance earlier.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • I need to buy my Netcup account again. Do you sell me!

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92