Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any experience with Skrill Prepaid Mastercard? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any experience with Skrill Prepaid Mastercard?

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Ole_Juul said:

willie said: Why would anyone without a credit problem pay money for a prepaid CC where the card company collects interest on the float? They should pay YOU.

I use prepaid MC because I don't want credit. I don't borrow money - ever. There is therefor a safety in this. And regarding interest. You've got to be kidding! I transfer in a few hundred from my bank account as I need it. The interest on a few hundred dollars wouldn't even buy a coffee where I live.

Uhm… just use a debit card?

• desperand said: This is the very bad position (I think so). I gues You don't understand the whole system. Since 20 years old you must to have at least one credit just for your credit reputation line.

I think this is a thing only in the US.

• AidanAidan Member

@rds100 said:

desperand said: This is the very bad position (I think so). I gues You don't understand the whole system. Since 20 years old you must to have at least one credit just for your credit reputation line.

It's pretty much universal - credit cards, cellphone contracts, store accounts, loans/etc all contribute to a "credit score".

Banks prefer handing out credit to people who have a proven track record of being able/willing to meet their repayment obligations.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ympker said:

@Nekki
    Nice! So how does it work? Similar to PayPal can you top up your balance and then convert to other currencies such as crypto meaning I will have a balance in €, in $ and crypto with them?

Exactly that, I currently have £, € and crypto balances simultaneously.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

@Nekki
    Nice! So how does it work? Similar to PayPal can you top up your balance and then convert to other currencies such as crypto meaning I will have a balance in €, in $ and crypto with them?

Exactly that, I currently have £, € and crypto balances simultaneously.

Revolut is great, but it, unfortunately, doesn't support 3D secure. For those transactions, having a supporting n26 card really helps.

• @rds100 said:

desperand said: This is the very bad position (I think so). I gues You don't understand the whole system. Since 20 years old you must to have at least one credit just for your credit reputation line.

He's very right, even the most financially responsible person should actively be using credit.

If you ever plan on running any type of business, even accepting payments through a payment processor is considered credit.

The balance paypal pays out to you is credit because in the future a payment you received is charged back.

Thus, why anyone who plans on accepting any payments at all needs credit. Most people plan on accepting something as essential as digital payments at some point. More cases could be named -- such as house mortgage, etc.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

GiveAndTake said: Revolut is great, but it, unfortunately, doesn't support 3D secure. For those transactions, having a supporting n26 card really helps.

That is the one drawback, but it's the same problem for all pre-paid Mastercards, right?

• FHR said: Uhm… just use a debit card?

Because that's a liability and doesn't work the same. A debit card is attached to an account.

• Seems like as of a couple of weeks Standard cards are issued as either VISA or Maestro cards only, not MasterCards (only premium users get MasterCards). Saw that in a FB post from them. Wont need it then I wanted to have a prepaid MasterCard, not Maestro or Visa :/

• Ympker said: I wanted to have a prepaid MasterCard

I'm curious, so BMO won't issue you one in your country, or what?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2018

@Ole_Juul said:

Ympker said: I wanted to have a prepaid MasterCard

I'm curious, so BMO won't issue you one in your country, or what?

I was talking about Revolut not BMO. Revoluts Standard plan does not anymore come with MasterCard but Maestro or VISA now. BMO and others ofc may still offer what they do. My comment was entirely focused on Revolut line-up :)

• So why do you care about Mastercard or VISA? They both should be accepted about the same everywhere? At least in Europe.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited March 2018

rds100 said: So why do you care about Mastercard or VISA? They both should be accepted about the same everywhere? At least in Europe.

The only reason I can think is they might already have a Visa based card and what MasterCard one, I've been in a store before were one was accepted and the other wasn't.

• @Razza said:

rds100 said: So why do you care about Mastercard or VISA? They both should be accepted about the same everywhere? At least in Europe.

The only reason I can think is they might already have a Visa based card and what MasterCard one, I've been in a store before were one was accepted and the other wasn't.

Atleast in my recent trip to Amsterdam MasterCard was way more often accepted in stores than VISA.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited March 2018

@Ympker said:

@Razza said:

Atleast in my recent trip to Amsterdam MasterCard was way more often accepted in stores than VISA.

Although I can't say that you're mistaken about this, the "way more often" nevertheless surprises me. If one tries to do some research on Visa vs Mastercard, it appears that in practice, any merchant that accepts Visa, also accepts Mastercard, and vice versa. At any rate, it's hard to find reliable figures about a significant difference in acceptance between Visa and Mastercard. In sum, in practice, it doesn't seem to matter which card you have, as far as acceptance is concerned.

Apparently, the Costco club stores in the US only accept Visa because Visa gave them a great deal if they agreed to only accept Visa, but this prominent example is the exception that confirms the rule that it generally doesn't matter which of the two cards you have.

If I were you and you otherwise like Revolut, I would go for a Visa card and then see whether it really makes a difference for you in practice.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @angstrom said:

@Ympker said:

@Razza said:

Although I can't say that you're mistaken about this, the "way more often" nevertheless surprises me. If one tries to do some research on Visa vs Mastercard, it appears that in practice, any merchant that accepts Visa, also accepts Mastercard, and vice versa. At any rate, it's hard to find reliable figures about a significant difference in acceptance between Visa and Mastercard. In sum, in practice, it doesn't seem to matter which card you have, as far as acceptance is concerned.

Apparently, the Costco club stores in the US only accept Visa because Visa gave them a great deal if they agreed to only accept Visa, but this prominent example is the exception that confirms the rule that it generally doesn't matter which of the two cards you have.

If I were you and you otherwise like Revolut, I would go for a Visa card and then see whether it really makes a difference for you in practice.

Guess I will do that :P Give it a try^^

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2018

Starling Bank is great. Can recommend. Free account, free top ups, some balances get even small interest, free international payments and no commission on FX (MC rate).

Thy are one of the better challenger banks in the UK. Everything is done via the app

https://www.starlingbank.com

Thanked by 2Ympker Razza
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited March 2018

Clouvider said: Starling Bank is great.

I got a account with them too and would recommend them too.

Clouvider said: free international payments

probably better if you said no foreign transaction fee since most user would classify international payments as meaning bank transfer which they do change a small free of £0.30 if it a international one.

@Clouvider said:
    Starling Bank is great. Can recommend. Free account, free top ups, some balances get even small interest, free international payments and no commission on FX (MC rate).

Thy are one of the better challenger banks in the UK. Everything is done via the app

I took a quick look at their FAQ:

Can I open an account if I’m a Foreign Tax Resident?

At the moment, a Starling account is designed for UK tax residents. If you don’t have an account and wish to open one, you must confirm that you are a UK tax resident only. Starling are not currently accepting new customers who have a tax residency outside of the UK. If this applies to you, unfortunately you won’t be able to open an account at this time.

So this may not work for @Ympker or for many others on LET. (Otherwise, Starling looks good.)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I've had an Skrill Mastercard for a few years (a physical one) and can not recommend it, there was like a 20% chance that a seller would accept it, kinda felt like it never worked when I needed it. Also fees everywhere, it costs like 5€ to transfer money back. I've heard good things about https://privacy.com/ , never tried it tho since its murica only.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS

@angstrom said:

@Clouvider said:

At the moment, a Starling account is designed for UK tax residents. If you don’t have an account and wish to open one, you must confirm that you are a UK tax resident only. Starling are not currently accepting new customers who have a tax residency outside of the UK. If this applies to you, unfortunately you won’t be able to open an account at this time.

So this may not work for @Ympker or for many others on LET. (Otherwise, Starling looks good.)

Yep. It’s UK only at the moment, but I heard they are opening in their countries soon enough!

@Clouvider said:

@angstrom said:

@Clouvider said:

Yep. It’s UK only at the moment, but I heard they are opening in their countries soon enough!

I wonder whether Brexit will cause a delay. (Oh, wait, forget that I said that!) :-)

edited March 2018

@angstrom said:

@Clouvider said:

@angstrom said:

@Clouvider said:

I wonder whether Brexit will cause a delay. (Oh, wait, forget that I said that!) :-)

They are starting up, I bet they’ll open an EU based entity. Ireland seems to be the logical choice given its the same language.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • I can recommend Entropay.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2018

@IFightCode said:
    I can recommend Entropay.

Read about scenarios where they wouldnt close acc on request and keept charging inactivity fee

• @Ympker said:
    Read about scenarios where they wouldnt close acc on request and keept charging inactivity fee

I use Entropay VCC rarely, once in 3/4 months. And they don't charge me for that. I'm not sure how long you were inactive and how much they charge you.

And if you don't use the account, then wipe wallet balance and leave that. They won't charge with 0 balance account.

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • @IFightCode said:

@Ympker said:

I use Entropay VCC rarely, once in 3/4 months. And they don't charge me for that. I'm not sure how long you were inactive and how much they charge you.

And if you don't use the account, then wipe wallet balance and leave that. They won't charge with 0 balance account.

They charge at 6 months inactivty.

• @Ympker said:

As long as they don't have any yearly charges, they can expect a little usage from the users right? Otherwise, how they will run their business?

• @IFightCode said:

@Ympker said:

As long as they don't have any yearly charges, they can expect a little usage from the users right? Otherwise, how they will run their business?

Like Revolut :P

• Revolut doesn't allow to fund using credit card :(

This discussion has been closed.