Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any experience with Skrill Prepaid Mastercard?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any experience with Skrill Prepaid Mastercard?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited March 2018 in General

Seems really nice.
10€/year but FREE to top up via bank transfer and FREE to pay online/in store/restaurants..

You do pay for foreign currencies though.

Comments

• AidanAidan Member

It's alright, but it doesn't have 3D-Secure/MasterCard SecureCode so it can't be used at some online merchants.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2018

@Aidan said:
    It's alright, but it doesn't have 3D-Secure/MasterCard SecureCode so it can't be used at some online merchants.

Any particular Prepaid CC you'd recommend?

• hzrhzr Member

Why would you not just get a proper account like n26?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited March 2018

Ympker said: Any particular Prepaid CC you'd recommend?

I use this one https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/credit-cards/prepaid-credit-cards/
    Works everywhere and has same guarantees as any other MC. You don't need an account with BOM, but you do need to go to a branch once to verify. After that you can verify by phone. (once every 3 years)

Thanked by 3Ympker ehab doghouch
  • twiigltwiigl Member
    edited March 2018

How about Fidor Bank? You get a Current Account / Girokonto + Fidor Debit Mastercard Digital, free of charge!. It's Debit, but you can't get below 0 if you don't want a overdraft.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member
    edited March 2018

Why would anyone without a credit problem pay money for a prepaid CC where the card company collects interest on the float? They should pay YOU.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2018

@willie said:
    Why would anyone without a credit problem pay money for a prepaid CC where the card company collects interest on the float? They should pay YOU.

While you do not need to agree of them,
    I believe we all know that there are use cases for a prepaid credit card for me the main ones being:

1) Having more control over expenses

2) To some extent (because not linked to your bank Account) it can protect your shopping history from prying eyes.

3) For online game shopping

4) For travelling (if it gets lost/stolen and money gets withdrawn without my bank covering the abuse/theft only the prepaid balance can be withdrawn as not linked to my bank account)

5) Online Adult stores that do not accept PayPal or sites with dubious subscriptions where I don't want to use my regular CC. Sites with dubious subscriptions would be sites where you subscribe, you hand in your cancellation, but they keep charging you anyway. Oddly enough they never go after you if there is no money on your account because you acctually did cancel. With a prepaid card it's easy to stop the cash flow. With regular CC you need to contact the bank again or whatever.

6) To limit my expenses. This card will be used only for travelling and/or purchasing items/events (theme park, cinema..) that bring me joy (so not something like power, internet, food, water.). By topping it up every time I get a better glance at what money I'm spending and can limit myself better than with a CC directly linked to my bank account.

7) If you get your regular CC in the minus you sometimes have to pay high fees to pay the "debt" to your bank. It won't be like this with a prepaid CC.

Kind regards,
    Ympker

• @Aidan
    ViaBuy has 3D secure. Might be an option, too.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Ympker said: To limit my expenses. This card will be used only for travelling and/or purchasing items/events (theme park, cinema..) that bring me joy (so not something like power, internet, food, water.). By topping it up every time I get a better glance at what money I'm spending and can limit myself better than with a CC directly linked to my bank account.

This is exactly why I use prepaid cards. I have separate cards for day-to-day expenses (travel, food, coffee) and fun (servers, video games, milkshakes) so I can track both and so that if someone manages to grab my day-to-day card as I'm going through a tube barrier or something I can a) lock the card from my phone with a click and b) they'd have access to no more than a week's worth of travel money.

One really nice feature that's just been introduced for my 'fun' card is that you can have an additional 'disposable' virtual card that uses the same balance as the physical card, but every time you use it, the details change immediately after a transaction goes through. Perfect for those times where you really want something, but you really don't want to hand over card details.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Nekki said:

Ympker said: To limit my expenses. This card will be used only for travelling and/or purchasing items/events (theme park, cinema..) that bring me joy (so not something like power, internet, food, water.). By topping it up every time I get a better glance at what money I'm spending and can limit myself better than with a CC directly linked to my bank account.

This is exactly why I use prepaid cards. I have separate cards for day-to-day expenses (travel, food, coffee) and fun (servers, video games, milkshakes) so I can track both and so that if someone manages to grab my day-to-day card as I'm going through a tube barrier or something I can a) lock the card from my phone with a click and b) they'd have access to no more than a week's worth of travel money.

One really nice feature that's just been introduced for my 'fun' card is that you can have an additional 'disposable' virtual card that uses the same balance as the physical card, but every time you use it, the details change immediately after a transaction goes through. Perfect for those times where you really want something, but you really don't want to hand over card details.

Glad to hear someone else appreciates prepaid cards as well. It really helps to seperate day to day expenses and "fun" expenses.
    What Service would have that nice feature? :P

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Skrill have a lot of hidden fees. Be careful. 6 month ago we close our account from Skrill.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @DewlanceVPS said:
    Skrill have a lot of hidden fees. Be careful. 6 month ago we close our account from Skrill.

Thanks mate

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited March 2018

willie said: Why would anyone without a credit problem pay money for a prepaid CC where the card company collects interest on the float? They should pay YOU.

I use prepaid MC because I don't want credit. I don't borrow money - ever. There is therefor a safety in this. And regarding interest. You've got to be kidding! I transfer in a few hundred from my bank account as I need it. The interest on a few hundred dollars wouldn't even buy a coffee where I live.

PS, and I do not have a credit problem. For one I own several fully paid for houses, and for another I don't need credit for anything.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ole_Juul said:

willie said: Why would anyone without a credit problem pay money for a prepaid CC where the card company collects interest on the float? They should pay YOU.

I use prepaid MC because I don't want credit. I don't borrow money - ever. There is therefor a safety in this. And regarding interest. You've got to be kidding! I transfer in a few hundred from my bank account as I need it. The interest on a few hundred dollars wouldn't even buy a coffee where I live.

PS, and I do not have a credit problem. For one I own several fully paid for houses, and for another I don't need credit for anything.

Basically what I was trying to say with point 7) except that I failed to use the word "credit" which would have made it a bit more clear.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ympker said:

Glad to hear someone else appreciates prepaid cards as well. It really helps to seperate day to day expenses and "fun" expenses.

Revolut.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

Revolut.

Revolut is great.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AlexanderM said:

@Nekki said:

@Ympker said:

Revolut.

Revolut is great.

Seems very similar to N26. What does Revolut charge you for top up via bank transfer?

• twiigltwiigl Member
    edited March 2018

Ympker said: Revolut charge you for top up via bank transfer?

Zero, if done within SEPA area

Thanked by 2Ympker Aidan
  • @twiigl said:

Nice :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

AlexanderM said: Revolut is great.

My only complaint is the difficulties they have working with TFL barriers. It was seamless for a couple of months, then turned into a pile of crap overnight. TFL is the ONLY vendor that they have this issue with.

• @twiigl said:

Top ups via credit card are also free of charge.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2018

Couldn't find any on the website but is there an inactivity fee like with so many other CCs? Talking about the Standard Revolut plan for 0€/mo.

@Nekki

• Revolut doesn’t charge you to keep an account open that is not in use.

https://revolut.com/help/profile/i-want-to-terminate-my-revolut-account

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

No charge for inactivity unlike a lot of the other cards.

Of limited use, but you can also use your Revolut account to speculate on certain crypto currencies; you can't transfer the currencies out but you can buy and sell back to Revolut.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2018

@Dwayne said:

Revolut doesn’t charge you to keep an account open that is not in use.

https://revolut.com/help/profile/i-want-to-terminate-my-revolut-account

Sweet! Thanks :) Just to confirm they do not charge you a monthly fee for using a physical CC with their standard (0€/mo) plan either?
    Scared that the 0€/mo only applies to their VCC.

• @Nekki said:

Of limited use, but you can also use your Revolut account to speculate on certain crypto currencies; you can't transfer the currencies out but you can buy and sell back to Revolut.

Regarding Cryptos that's interesting indeed :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Ympker said:

@Nekki said:

Regarding Cryptos that's interesting indeed :)

It is, if you just want to have a dabble in the market they currently support Bitcoin, Ether and Litecoin. I have a few quid in there just to see what happens.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker said:

>

Sweet! Thanks :) Just to confirm they do not charge you a monthly fee for using a physical CC with their standard (0€/mo) plan either?

That's right, there is no monthly fee for a physical card, just a one-time fee when ordering the card.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Dwayne said:

@Ympker said:

>

That's right, there is no monthly fee for a physical card, just a one-time fee when ordering the card.

Cool! Thanks a lot mate! :-)

@Nekki
    Nice! So how does it work? Similar to PayPal can you top up your balance and then convert to other currencies such as crypto meaning I will have a balance in €, in $ and crypto with them?

• Ole_Juul said: I use prepaid MC because I don't want credit. I don't borrow money - ever. There is therefor a safety in this.

This is the very bad position (I think so). I gues You don't understand the whole system. Since 20 years old you must to have at least one credit just for your credit reputation line. More years and stability in payments, more money you can take at a time for your business, startup and so on.

The most important thing - is how you manage your money and your credit storyline. I talk only about the case, where you work for reputation, and reputation will work for you with time and really big money. Nobody will give you ANY money if they know nothing about you. What if for example, you will need around 1mil$ for your start-up/business? Where will you take it? From mafia? Or from a bank with 1-3% / year?

Of course any financial operations very dangerous. Bensin dangerous too, but people use it as fuel for their cars and achieving new results and goals.

This discussion has been closed.