Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should we reinstate the account?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should we reinstate the account?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep
edited February 2018 in General

2 weeks ago we got an order for our HK$50 (US$6.5) /year NAT VPS in HK with direct China route.

We make as clear as possible that service is non-refundable.

Client was unhappy with the performance of the server, expecting 10Mbit+ guaranteed connectivity to China (we do not guarantee performance) and was upset with only getting a few Mbit. Our own speed tests show that it was most likley his own ISP that was the cause of the slow down as actually when using bench.sh and speedtest.net, average speeds were around 30Mbit (including to China).

Client demanded a refund. After informing them that the service was non-refundable, client opened a Paypal dispute. At this point we shut down the service and disputed their claims. Fast forward to today, and Paypal ruled in our favour. Now client wants us to reactivate the account.

The back and forth between us, the client and paypal has been at least 45 mins. I offered to resume the service if they closed the dispute. In Paypal they were, shall we say, less the genuine (they lied) in the complaint to Paypal.

Now that Paypal have ruled in our favour, they demand that we reactivate the account. I'm inclined to deny them the VPS altogether given the fraudulent dispute claim, time wasted, and the fact that we gave them an opportunity to close the case if they wanted the VPS reactivated. Certainly the time spent dealing with it cost more than the HK$50 so we lose no matter what.

But what are the opinions here? Should we reactivate the server or not?

Poll not found

Comments

• AidanAidan Member
      edited February 2018

I've reactivated users who opened a PayPal dispute due to them thinking it's "less of a hassle" than a support ticket, but...

randvegeta said: fraudulent dispute claim

I wouldn't allow such a user back onto my platform.

• LeeLee Veteran

Nope, on the basis the cost to manage the dispute being in excess of the amount paid.

• Nope, he surely will create bigger damage to your system or server load with such attitude

Thanked by 1ucxo
    • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

I've provided a link to this thread for the buyer. If he so chooses, I've offered him the opportunity to come here, tell his side of the story, and see how many people agree with him. If people agree with him, I agreed to give him his refund. Obviously I'm partial to my own side, so inviting him here should be more than fair.

Though I now worry that I'm inviting yet another troll to the forum, only to annoy us all.... Damn... I should have thought this through.

Thanked by 2lazyt Plioser
    • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Nothing better than bringing disputes with your Client to the public realm.

• LeeLee Veteran

randvegeta said: I've provided a link to this thread for the buyer. If he so chooses, I've offered him the opportunity to come here, tell his side of the story, and see how many people agree with him. If people agree with him, I agreed to give him his refund. Obviously I'm partial to my own side, so inviting him here should be more than fair.

Though I now worry that I'm inviting yet another troll to the forum, only to annoy us all.... Damn... I should have thought this through.

Pretty disgusting attitude and approach from a provider. It's one thing to ask for an opinion, something totally different to do this.

Deal with it yourself.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

That does sound rather odd. What happened to privacy and customer data protection?

@BunnySpeed said:
      That does sound rather odd. What happened to privacy and customer data protection?

i haven't revealed anything about the client.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
      edited February 2018

Poor wording on my side. But if he decides to come here everyone will pretty much accuse him and he would argue with a provider on a public forum. I’d feel rather awkward if someone did that to me, especially if he’s an existing member.

Thanked by 2cassa J1021
    • @randvegeta said:
      I should have thought this through.

Indeed.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@BunnySpeed said:
      Poor wording on my side. But if he decides to come here everyone will pretty much accuse him and he would argue with a provider on a public forum. I’d feel rather awkward if someone did that to me, especially if he’s an existing member.

Really up to him if he wants to come here or not.

• LeeLee Veteran

Thread should be closed, it should not be allowed to get to that stage.

Thanked by 1Junkless

@Lee said:
      Thread should be closed, it should not be allowed to get to that stage.

I disagree. No damage was done yet (to the Customer) and it so far allows members to make their own judgement against the provider.

This is one of those self-harming threads to me

Thanked by 1qrwteyrutiyoup
    • IF only he didn't lie on the dispute, I'ld have voted yes.
      But since I get a "poll not found" error I can't vote at all.

But, he doesn't seem he's worth it. So NO!

And to me, you're just asking opinions from others. You didn't share anything about the client except that he's asian.

• Do you really care about $6.50 that much to go through all this? In the future just refund the client in full or pro rata (regardless of your no refund policy) and tell them they are no longer welcome. Case closed, everyone's happy

Thanked by 1qrwteyrutiyoup
    • LeeLee Veteran
      edited February 2018

Clouvider said: This is one of those self-harming threads to me

Perhaps, who is the provider here, website details please.

@Lee said:

Clouvider said: This is one of those self-harming threads to me

Perhaps, who is the provider here, website details please.

Aye, good point.

@vedran said:
      Do you really care about $6.50 that much to go through all this? In the future just refund the client in full or pro rata (regardless of your no refund policy) and tell them they are no longer welcome. Case closed, everyone's happy

With fraudulent chargebacks or disputes ? Always. Fraud has to be taken seriously and fought back with full force.

@Nomad said:
      IF only he didn't lie on the dispute, I'ld have voted yes.
      But since I get a "poll not found" error I can't vote at all.

But, he doesn't seem he's worth it. So NO!

And to me, you're just asking opinions from others. You didn't share anything about the client except that he's asian.

I revealed nothing about the client, including ethnicity. I made no mention of being Asian or not.

@Clouvider said:

@vedran said:
      Do you really care about $6.50 that much to go through all this? In the future just refund the client in full or pro rata (regardless of your no refund policy) and tell them they are no longer welcome. Case closed, everyone's happy

With fraudulent chargebacks or disputes ? Always. Fraud has to be taken seriously and fought back with full force.

Indeed.

Thanked by 1Nomad
    • @Clouvider said:

But this one didn't start as a fraudlent dispute, it was just a client asking for a refund for a service which didn't do what they expected and (from what I understand) was hardly even used, if at all. If I was a provider I'd just refund them at that point and be done with it.

Thanked by 2Falzo Clouvider
    • LeeLee Veteran

randvegeta said: Indeed.

Which service do you run, link to site please.

• @Lee said:

http://hosthongkong.net/

Thanked by 1Lee
    • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

BunnySpeed said: But if he decides to come here everyone will pretty much accuse him and he would argue with a provider on a public forum.

Totally agree on this. A public forum is not the place for a dispute between a client and provider. To many users here that have no clue on the situation.

If the client would have spoken to do you directly before opening a dispute this would be a whole other situation.

A paypal dispute opened by the client means (in my world) that he is no longer welcome at my place anymore.

@Lee said:

The service in question is an HK$50/yr NAT VPS that is strictly non-refundable.

Thanked by 1lazyt
    • LeeLee Veteran
      edited February 2018

It's bad enough that we get so many provider threads, however, that is a clients right to complain.

But starting to allow providers to open a thread and invite clients to effectively beg for a refund, no.

Thanked by 3mikho Clouvider MCHPhil
    • I don't think randvegeta did something bad by inviting his ex-customer to a public discussion. Also no private info shared.

Thanked by 1that_guy

@Lee said:
      It's bad enough that we get so many provider threads, however, that is a clients right to complain.

But starting to allow providers to open a thread and invite clients to effectively beg for a refund, no.

Okay. I'll keep that in mind for the future

• LeeLee Veteran

erkin said: I don't think randvegeta did something bad by inviting his ex-customer to a public discussion. Also no private info shared.

He is inviting a client he clearly no longer wants (good reason) to argue his case on a public forum and the community decides whether he gets it.

Nobody, sensible can consider that anything but @randvegeta being a dick. Man up, make the decision and move on.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@vedran said:

@Clouvider said:

But this one didn't start as a fraudlent dispute, it was just a client asking for a refund for a service which didn't do what they expected and (from what I understand) was hardly even used, if at all. If I was a provider I'd just refund them at that point and be done with it.

If you don't agree with a no-refund policy, why order it in the first place?