Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is best free to use Control Panel for VPS. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is best free to use Control Panel for VPS.

Comments

• I'd definitely argue webmin

• Super-bump-combo achieved!

• Virtualmin :)

• i-MSCP all the way! Vestacp doesn't even install for me.

• kerouackerouac Member
    edited December 2013

Following are just my humble opinions:

Kloxo ... looks old, feels old, can get buggy, supports only centos 5 x32

ISPConfig ... it's hard to describe how weird this one is, things are not where you expect them to be, it feels a bit too german

VHCS ... no idea, its website marked as malicious by uncle google

OpenPanel ... tried once, looks good (visually), didn't work out for me though

Webmin & Virtualmin ... only for more advanced guys, or ppl with a bad taste for design and focus on geekiness, not to mention some features are not free

The ones you did not mention:

EHCP ... a bit outdated, especially with documentation, but easy to get up and running, a little like kloxo. i'd say it's somewhere between kloxo and openpanel

Webuzo !!! ... The clear winner for me, I always use it. You pretty much don't need the paid-for license. The free license is more than enough. You can do anything easily, for example you can remove the LAMP stack with one click and stick a LEMP stack in there with another click. Highly recommended.

• Hmm, is there any panel that could do master and slave servers? For example, have Server A as the master and Server B as slave so I could make websites on server A and provision them on server B? I want to do this because it seems like i'm collecting more and more VPS then ever and having one panel to manage them all would be complete bliss!

I know Kloxo can do it, but I could never get it working properly.

cPanel can do it, but i'm not rich.

The almighty Webmin can probably do it, but it's way too complex for me to understand.

Someone here mentioned making a SSH script to do it in VestaCP, but dear lord I don't even know where to begin with that..

• skybucks100 said: Hmm, is there any panel that could do master and slave servers?

ISPConfig can do this. It supports as many servers as you want. You can set servers as mirror or manage them independently using only 1 panel.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @agonyzt said:
    ISPConfig can do this. It supports as many servers as you want. You can set servers as mirror or manage them independently using only 1 panel.

Haven't given ISPConfig a shot yet, i'll probably set it up on a spare server and see how everything goes. Thanks for the recommendation :)

• agonyzt said: ISPConfig can do this. It supports as many servers as you want. You can set servers as mirror or manage them independently using only 1 panel.

ISPConfig 3 requires one to have a minimum system admin skill to be able to set the server configuration to be used in a master-slave cluster mode, but when everything is in place and configured properly, ISPConfig 3 is a beast.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited December 2013

kerouac said: Kloxo ... looks old, feels old, can get buggy, supports only centos 5 x32

It also works with CentOS 5.10 x64.

What hinders plain Kloxo to move to CentOS 6 is the qmail toaster and the lxphp as they are Kloxo custom compile.

• For hobbyist, http://baifox.org/ is worth to try. :)

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2013

jvnadr said: and I did't hear someone being hacked with ZPanel (some incidents of their sites last summer were due to other factors, not hacked panel as the authors claimed. Of course, there isn't even one piece of software or panel that is completely secure, there will always be vulnerabilities sitting there till they will be known).

Hi. The guy here who actually -found- a bunch of these well-publicized security issues.

The whole "nothing is secure" argument is typically brought up in the defense of software with sub-par security, and ZPanel is no exception to that. The issues with ZPanel are not because of mistakes, but because of unwillingness of the developers to put effort and care into securing their software. Their response to security issue reports is, to put it mildly, not satisfactory.

There's a whole thread on /r/netsec (these are the guys who do know security and usually do it for a living) about ZPanels poor handling of the issue, and their overall poor attitude towards security.

The vulnerabilities and ZPanel not being safe, are not a matter of "opinion". This is a proven and (by now) well-peer-reviewed fact. The attitude of the developers has slightly improved since the last drama, but is still not solid enough.

Final note: if you have to say "yeah well, everything has vulnerabilities" in a discussion, that almost certainly means that you're trying to justify a poor security model or attitude - no matter what software is the point of discussion. If the developers did security correctly, you'd never be making the above argument - instead, you'd be pointing at the bugfix, and saying "see? They fixed it straight away!".

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    For hobbyist, http://baifox.org/ is worth to try. :)

Wow looks like a great panel!

but i saw in the screenshots some weird language.. is the panel itself also in english?

edited December 2013

@Mark_R said:
    but i saw in the screenshots some weird language.. is the panel itself also in english?

No está en español. Pero mis ojos se torna verde cuando veo el dinero.

It's Spanish not fully translated to English, and according to the developer, there will be no further version. Since it is open source one could continue developing it after seeking permission from the originator.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @vRozenSch00n said:
    It's Spanish, and according to the developer there will be no further version. Since it is open source one could continue developing it after seeking permission from the originator.

there goes my boner D;

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Mark_R said:
    there goes my boner D;

Yes it's a pity, and I haven't test it with Debian 7.0 yet, but I think it should work.

edited December 2013

This one is a long timer also http://www.gplhost.com/software-dtc.html
    Not very easy, but worth it.

Another one is xpanel, it is a dead project, but the latest version still possible to download here: http://www.xpanel.com/download/XPanel/xpanel-2.0.3.tar.gz

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • vestacp is very awesome. I am loving the remote FTP backups. just take a backup and instlal it and you are good to go.

• @vRozenSch00n just how many languages do you speak? :)

• @rds100 Several. I speak Bahasa, English, Sundanese, and Javanese fluently, sufficient French, some Dutch, some Mandarin, some Arabic, but basically I love music and I try to find the meaning of the foreign song I found. :)

Some language are hard to learn because they have specific alphabet (need some time to get used too), but some language have similar root such as Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and French and so on. :)

Thanked by 1rds100
  • anyone tried using CentOS Web Panel ? seems to be new

http://centos-webpanel.com/

• Will try to use it , if i buy a new vps

@Bruce said:
    anyone tried using CentOS Web Panel ? seems to be new

http://centos-webpanel.com/

• MelonMelon Member
    edited January 2014

A stupid question, but which of these panels is best for someone to provide access to a non-root user?

I'm hosting a site for a friend, and I was thinking of setting up something like cPanel (but free) so they can have their own pseudo-shared hosting experience without me doing everything manually for them.

I'd just dedicate one of my spare VPSs to it. Which panel would you recommend?

I'd never use panels to configure anything for my own needs, I'd rather do it by hand, but this is so someone else with no *nix experience can have some sort of administrative access to their site so I don't have to take control panels to change something with MySQL or whatever.

• After good words of @jarland I have tried http://vestacp.com/ for something similar, and must say VestaCP is great.

• I currently use Webmin/Virtualmin. Does anyone know if any of these other control panels, such as zPanel, support UI integration for CSF?

• @5n1p said:
    After good words of jarland I have tried http://vestacp.com/ for something similar, and must say VestaCP is great.

Did fire up an Test KVM server and installed vastacp on it. The installation was without any issu.

But after a couple of hours playing with my conclusion is that I will sty with Virtualmin/Webmin on my servers. I have use it for around two years now.

• I used webmin and it's fine. To be honest I don't need one. Most control panel takes lots of ram

• Vesta CP panel-great!

• wluchawlucha Member
    edited January 2014

For me: Froxlor

Clean, simple, stable.

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited January 2014

I always use ISPConfig + Webmin. But been trying (testing) few vps panel as used by other members.

@vRozenSch00n I wonder why Bahasa Indonesia sometime referred as Bahasa, can you explain it for me mas bro.