Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To buy a MacBook Pro or a Razer Stealth - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To buy a MacBook Pro or a Razer Stealth

Comments

• I guess I'll ask the obvious question, what do you use your laptop for?

• partymongerpartymonger Member
    edited January 2018

Once you get into Mac will be hard to go back to windows. Some of the stuff is just pretty great. With a few more apps you have a system that you never want to be tweaked with.

I don't even use any other apple devices, just this OS on my laptop, my hackintosh workstation with apple wired kb and trackpad and hackintosh office machines. Runs like a dream. Once setup even the hackintosh can be restored via a clonezilla in half an hour. Less time than it takes to setup Windows

• @Jebing said:
    I am using MacBook pro currently. It looks cool and different compared to Windows laptop.

However for the same prices, I feel Windows laptop get better hardware and as a result it has better performance.

Unfortunately better hardware don't always resemble superior performances. It's a matter of integration and Apple is better at this.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@FoxelVox said:

@FHR said:
    You should also consider Lenovo ThinkPad X-series, much higher build quality than MacBooks.

HAHA, No.

Try to spill some water into a MacBook Pro and a Lenovo X or T series laptop. I think you would be surprised.
    Also checkout Louis Rossmann on YouTube, he repairs Apple things for a living and constantly points out quality and hardware design issues with Apple.

• I wish the fucking poll didn't break so I could get a clear consensus here.

I feel I've made the choice harder LOL.

• Macs have build quality definitely. If you need Windows and are used to using Windows buy a Windows machine.

It's really not a difficult endeavor. I personally would buy a Mac and throw SlackWare on it, but that's just me.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

I looked at buying a razer, never did, now I am not saying Apple support is amazing but this kind of thing really put me off.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.razerzone.com

I mean 159 reviews and 70% one star. That is shocking whatever way you want to read it.

I had a good look into it at the time and the bottom line is, good as long as it works, you will regret it if something goes wrong.

• In my opinion, Razer isn't a manufacturer - they're an overhyped Chinese reseller with extremely poor build quality in the majority of "their" products.

Thanked by 2Lee FHR
  • Macbook pro sucks.
    Had 2, none took long to break.

Issues; keyboard and battery.

Also had one of those big iMacs, 6 months in and when I got back from lunch it had died. Apple support said it was a defect with the HD or whatever and took weeks to replace it.

Custom desktops and Asus laptops is what works for me without a glitch.

Thanked by 2FHR TheKiller
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

If you have never used Mac then I would always tell people to stick to a Windows-based machine unless you have a specific reason to move.

You all always get differing opinions, @404error has had the issues noted above, for me, never had a single issue with any Apple Laptop or iMac. On the other hand, Asus, good machines but the batteries for me have always been shit. The Zenbooks I have used draw far too much power for the battery to last more than a few hours.

Rather than a Razer I would go for an XPS, all-day battery, a degree of upgrading potential and reasonably modular should it need to be repaired.

The Razer is marketed to gamers, that does not sound like the OP, not when also considering a MBP.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @Lee
    I agree. In fact if I didn't get the mac I would have gotten an Xps.
    Or something that is military grade.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2018

@hammer said:
    @Lee
    I agree. In fact if I didn't get the mac I would have gotten an Xps.
    Or something that is military grade.

There is really very little you can say negatively about the XPS, Dell found a great formula and have stuck with. However the customer service is shit :)

• Well, how do you use windows laptop with resolution like 1920x1080? Do you have good eyesight?

• Well, how do you use windows laptop with resolution like 1920x1080?

Eh? If you're blind, just increase the text scale to above 100%.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • trnjtrnj Member
    edited January 2018

@Aidan said:
    Eh? If you're blind, just increase the text scale to above 100%.

Windows scaling is horrible crap. This resolution is too small for me even on 17.3'' screen. The text is obviously small.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • trnj said: Windows scaling is horrible crap.

Can't argue with that.

Thanked by 1trnj
  • Lol
    @Aidan
    What scale is needed for me to see it.
    Once I increased a faunt in microsoft word as much as I had time for and in the end all I saw was a dark blob.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Just got a Macbook Pro 13 2017 and I love it.
    Can definitely recommend it!

• @hammer said:
    What scale is needed for me to see it.
    Once I increased a faunt in microsoft word as much as I had time for and in the end all I saw was a dark blob.

You spend too much time with your computer.

• TomTom Member

@Lee said:
    https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.razerzone.com

I mean 159 reviews and 70% one star. That is shocking whatever way you want to read it.

Fucking hell... That's awful

• @Lee said:
    If you have never used Mac then I would always tell people to stick to a Windows-based machine unless you have a specific reason to move.

You all always get differing opinions, @404error has had the issues noted above, for me, never had a single issue with any Apple Laptop or iMac. On the other hand, Asus, good machines but the batteries for me have always been shit. The Zenbooks I have used draw far too much power for the battery to last more than a few hours.

Rather than a Razer I would go for an XPS, all-day battery, a degree of upgrading potential and reasonably modular should it need to be repaired.

The Razer is marketed to gamers, that does not sound like the OP, not when also considering a MBP.

I have a Dell XPS 15 9530, but I feel the fact it is so overpowered that it's making it last 1 hour and 30 minutes when watching YouTube.

16GB Ram, i7 4712HQ, 1TB HDD, 4K Touch Screen, 750M GPU, 32GB SSD.

It's either that or the battery is fucked, 100 quid to replace it.

• @6ixth said:

@Lee said:

I have a Dell XPS 15 9530, but I feel the fact it is so overpowered that it's making it last 1 hour and 30 minutes when watching YouTube.

Might also be a 6 cell battery. They don't tend to last for crap. See if there is a 12 cell available maybe it would help.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@6ixth said:

@Lee said:

Could do worse on a part replacement at least, for something clearly up to date on specs.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I'm a total Apple shill at this point because of how smooth stuff generally runs, build quality and support.

Took my 3.5 yr old retina MacBook Pro in for a battery replacement, cost $199 but took 24 hrs and got a free keyboard & trackpad replacement (gotta love glued-down batteries), will get me at least another 3 years out of it.

If I had a gun to my head and had to pick a PC, probably an XPS or something from Asus's lineup. Maybe a Microsoft Surface Laptop, but I'd need to spend more time with one than just a couple mins with a display model.

• LeeLee Veteran

6ixth said: 16GB Ram, i7 4712HQ, 1TB HDD, 4K Touch Screen, 750M GPU, 32GB SSD.

Yeah, that's not going to last long on battery watching video, to be honest. But as @AuroraZ mentions, if it's a 6 cell try getting a 12 which will make a significant difference.

I bought one of the kids a Dell XPS 13 for university and he loves it, says the battery easily lasts all day, most of it if he watches an average length film. But then it's not a 4k screen.

• No one mention hp spectre? It's beautiful

• LeeLee Veteran

NanoG6 said: It's beautiful

Sounds like my wife's method of purchasing.

• I’ve got a 2006 uni-body MacBook and a 2010 MacBook Pro; the former gets about 4 hours a day of use at work (developing, , the other 2-3 at home. Both are still going strong, neither have needed anything doing to them bar a battery replacement on the MacBook after 8 years and having to stick a couple of the non-slip feet back onto the Pro last night.

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited February 2018

Not an Apple fanboy at all here but I still they think they make the best laptops. Refurbished prices are reasonable vis a vis every other laptop I have tried. I wish there were a good Linux alternative but they are all expensive.

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited February 2018

@Nekki said:
    I’ve got a 2006 uni-body MacBook

Sir, Internet troll is a well-paid job in Russia. Also, you get new Macbook 2017.