Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To buy a MacBook Pro or a Razer Stealth
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

To buy a MacBook Pro or a Razer Stealth

6ixth6ixth Member
edited January 2018 in General

I am practically split 50/50 between a MacBrook Pro 2017, the model without the touch bar thing and an i5 processor and a Razer Stealth that has an i7 and 16gb of ram. They are generally the same price and I am afraid I may need to run a Windows program on my MacBook.

So, I'll let LET decide for me, which laptop do I buy?

Poll not found

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

If you're going to run Windows a MacBook is a mistake, and I'm not one of those "pc and Mac are football teams and you have to like mine" virgins, to put context around that. I love Apple, I do not love running Windows on Apple devices. The trackpad always performs like trash and the Apple trackpad spoils you with how great it is.

• If it has to be one of those two, then I'd choose the Razer Stealth personally. Better specs for the same price? It doesn't sound like you're dependant on any Mac applications, but could be dependant on Windows applications down the line. Whichever one you choose, you could almost definitely get the opposing operating system to function anyway.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
    • @Wolveix said:
      If it has to be one of those two, then I'd choose the Razer Stealth personally. Better specs for the same price? It doesn't sound like you're dependant on any Mac applications, but could be dependant on Windows applications down the line. Whichever one you choose, you could almost definitely get the opposing operating system to function anyway.

I'm not necessarily dependant on either, it's more the design of the Apple that is appealing to me and the fact I kind of want to try something new (I've never used a MacBook before).

@jarland said:
      If you're going to run Windows a MacBook is a mistake, and I'm not one of those "pc and Mac are football teams and you have to like mine" virgins, to put context around that. I love Apple, I do not love running Windows on Apple devices. The trackpad always performs like trash and the Apple trackpad spoils you with how great it is.

I won't be doing this, no way. I just imagine one day needing to magically need a program that specifically only works on Windows. Have you ever encountered that?

Yeah for that I just have both honestly. I'm on a Windows kick this month so the iMac is in the closet.

• @6ixth said:

@Wolveix said:
      If it has to be one of those two, then I'd choose the Razer Stealth personally. Better specs for the same price? It doesn't sound like you're dependant on any Mac applications, but could be dependant on Windows applications down the line. Whichever one you choose, you could almost definitely get the opposing operating system to function anyway.

I'm not necessarily dependant on either, it's more the design of the Apple that is appealing to me and the fact I kind of want to try something new (I've never used a MacBook before).

@jarland said:

I won't be doing this, no way. I just imagine one day needing to magically need a program that specifically only works on Windows. Have you ever encountered that?

I've definitely encountered situations on a Mac where I've needed to run a Windows application. You could always utilize a virtual machine or even Boot Camp, but eh.

It just sounds silly to spend more money for less power. Personally, I feel that Razer's products generally possess a high design quality, so if it's just that you want to try something new, I can almost promise you that the novelty will wear off.

• @jarland said:

Agreed on the trackpad, and is why I own an standalone trackpad for my hackintosh. For general usage it so much better than a mouse. Gaming? use a mouse :)

Thanked by 1Wolveix
    • Where did my poll go lmao.

'Poll not found'

Thanked by 1Wolveix
    • @6ixth said:
      Where did my poll go lmao.

'Poll not found'

Yeah, it wasn't there from the beginning haha.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

6ixth said: I won't be doing this, no way. I just imagine one day needing to magically need a program that specifically only works on Windows. Have you ever encountered that?

For this rare occasions, you might boot Windows natively via Boot Camp. If you plan to do it frequently though it doesn't make any sense.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
    • Poll not found... Damnit Anthony

• I have a macbook pro and I use bootcamp for windows because their is no good way for me to do Math or Programming on my screenreader with OSX.

I love the build quality. A mac in my experience is usually quite sturdy. I am a person who almost needs military grade laptop because my hands sometimes get really well sweaty and that tends to destroy keyboards.

I almost destroyed a desktop keyboard I bought in like less than a month was crazy.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
      edited January 2018

@jarland said:

Apple's trackpad is sooooooooooooooooooooo smooth. Scrolling is far superior than any Windows laptop that I've ever seen.

• Razer blade stealth early 2016 user here.

The laptop itself is top notch. Combined with an external gpu (in my case, aorus gaming box) you'll have a pretty decent machine to play with. Plus, you can change the color pattern of ur keyboard lol

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
      edited January 2018

The current generation of MacBook Pro with the touch bar has turned to crap. The build quality is not even close to what it previously was. So, if you are comfortable switching to Mac, and really are able to find the 2017 model sans touch bar, go ahead and snap it up ASAP!

As for the Razer stealth, its more of a novelty item geared towards gaming. If you want to stick with Windows running on reliable hardware, there are much better options in the form of Dell Precision 15 - 3000 Series, or the Lenovo ThinkPad X or W series. Sure, they don't look as pretty, but they'll certainly last a while.

I have been in your exact situation. Bought a previous gen fully loaded Macbook Pro, used it for a few months and then went back to my (then) 5y/o i7 based, SSD driven ThinkPad, from which I recently (and happily) switched to the Dell Precision 15 - 3520 laptop.

Thanked by 1FHR
    • Get AfterShock or MSI instead of Razer. But Macbook Pro can satisfy you for most stuff.

• Check out the description for a pro/con list.

Cheers!

• I am using MacBook pro currently. It looks cool and different compared to Windows laptop.

However for the same prices, I feel Windows laptop get better hardware and as a result it has better performance.

If you are a gamer, it is better to use Razer Blade. MacBook Pro is not really good for gaming. And if you are used to Windows there will be some pains when moving to Mac OS.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
    • @jarland Do you use the gestures on the trackpad? I use them pretty often — it makes doing things like opening Launchpad a lot faster. :)

edited January 2018

@doghouch said:
      @jarland Do you use the gestures on the trackpad? I use them pretty often — it makes doing things like opening Launchpad a lot faster. :)

Oh yeah, honestly MacOS with Apple trackpad and gestures have been kind of my sweet spot since about 2006. Using anything else for daily work was like driving a stick shift for the first time, nothing technically wrong with it but it slowed me down.

It's only recently I've begun using Windows, ChromeOS, and Linux for daily work to expand my comfort level with different workflows so I could be platform independent. I'm sure I'll end up right back on that trackpad though, and better off for it.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
      edited January 2018

@jarland Have fun with Windows Update. Hopefully you didn’t get Microsoft’s broken Meltdown patch.

Unrelated:

From the Macintosh to the first iMac, I’ve had them all. After getting my first iPhone 4-5 years ago, I was shocked to see how everything was so intertwined. I can’t imagine a day without ex. iCloud. Everything just works. No questions asked. To any new Apple users: you will get what I mean by ‘intertwined’ when you get more than one Apple product. tl;dr <3 Apple

Thanked by 1jar
    • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I would get the razor, or get the mac on lease, if you realise it was a mistake, then get the razor instead.

edited January 2018

@doghouch said:
      @jarland Have fun with Windows Update. Hopefully you didn’t get Microsoft’s broken Meltdown patch.

On that note I learned something very valuable. Do not, under any circumstances, use the Windows 10 ISO that MS provides right now. The updates it contains are fine if you update to it, but debilitating when installed clean. I have a license, I had to download a pirated ISO to fix my system after screwing that up (multiple installs, downloaded ISO again, all the user side issues ruled out).

A bit off topic but hey, if I can save someone somewhere a few hours of their life...

• @jarland said:

@doghouch said:

On that note I learned something very valuable. Do not, under any circumstances, use the Windows 10 ISO that MS provides right now. The updates it contains are fine if you update to it, but debilitating when installed clean. I have a license, I had to download a pirated ISO to fix my system after screwing that up (multiple installs, downloaded ISO again, all the user side issues ruled out).

A bit off topic but hey, if I can save someone somewhere a few hours of their life...

I’m a student so I have Windows Education free. The ISO provided is screwed as well, but I have backup USBs just in case. What’s cool is that it lets me defer updates for a whole year :]

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
      edited January 2018

Personally I think a Razer (and an i7) is overkill, but I don't know what's the expected usage of this laptop nor what's your workflow and maybe I'm concerned more about batter life, so I'm biased. Some people suggesting Razer reference gaming capabilities, check if that's a priority of yours for a laptop. I'm not really a fan of Apple's design, yet their monitors are top notch. I wouldn't be concerned about a single, occasional Windows program you may run once a year (if ever) when making this buying decision

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

You should also consider Lenovo ThinkPad X-series, much higher build quality than MacBooks.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
    • @FHR said:
      You should also consider Lenovo ThinkPad X-series, much higher build quality than MacBooks.

HAHA, No.

Thanked by 3Aidan doghouch Stradale
    • WHTWHT Member

Seems you have a luxus problem. I do avoid apple products since years. You just pay the brand and not the hardware quality.