Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared.net - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared.net

Comments

• @sureiam said:

@jetchirag said:

@Ympker said:

@sureiam said:

@jiggawattz said:
    @sureiam Are you paying $5 / year ?

The total for the account is much higher than $5 a year as I've added multiple accounts for end users vs just putting them all under one account. Unfortunately that didn't protect vs downtime as they all ended up on the same node. However at this stage I'm thinking a VPS would be much more reliable.

You would definitly have more direct control however keep in mind the licenses you'd need to pay with a vps though.

VPS + cPanel + JetBackup + CloudLinux + Softaculous + KernelCare(?)

Softwares themselves will cost him above 35$ then cost for Good VPS separately

Naa. I have solutions for those that won't cost much. SFTP would be enough for their needs. They don't needd cpanel or softaculous as i previously assumed. Cloudlinux and Kernalcare are also unnecessary with proper configuration and management. Only if your dealing with very large number of users which I'm not. Backup also isn't an issue. I can get it done for about the same cost but now i have to manage it which i didn't want to do. However it seems the alternative isn't as dependable as I'd hoped.

If you are willing to pay more but dont want to manage it try ramnode shared. Nothing but awesome so far. Only downtime was announced and it was the meltdown/spectre patch.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

@Ympker said:

@sureiam said:

@jetchirag said:

@Ympker said:

@sureiam said:

@jiggawattz said:
    @sureiam Are you paying $5 / year ?

The total for the account is much higher than $5 a year as I've added multiple accounts for end users vs just putting them all under one account. Unfortunately that didn't protect vs downtime as they all ended up on the same node. However at this stage I'm thinking a VPS would be much more reliable.

You would definitly have more direct control however keep in mind the licenses you'd need to pay with a vps though.

VPS + cPanel + JetBackup + CloudLinux + Softaculous + KernelCare(?)

Naa. I have solutions for those that won't cost much. SFTP would be enough for their needs. They don't needd cpanel or softaculous as i previously assumed. Cloudlinux and Kernalcare are also unnecessary with proper configuration and management. Only if your dealing with very large number of users which I'm not. Backup also isn't an issue. I can get it done for about the same cost but now i have to manage it which i didn't want to do. However it seems the alternative isn't as dependable as I'd hoped.

If you are willing to pay more but dont want to manage it try ramnode shared. Nothing but awesome so far. Only downtime was announced and it was the meltdown/spectre patch.

Yup age old question. Pay more work less. :) I'm leaning towards the VPS though. I'm not reselling the services for a profit just doing this as a favor close family friends. I guess i could use another vps lol

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2018

jetchirag said: VPS + cPanel + JetBackup + CloudLinux + Softaculous + KernelCare(?)

And more on a dedicated.

On the topic of "all my stuff ended up on one node", that's true for shared plans. We generally segregate our plan types, that way we don't end up with a node making far less than it should.

Between cPanel, Litespeed, JetBackup, Softaculous, Cloudlinux, you're talking $70/month+ in licensing alone. If we suddenly end up with a mixed node with a limited amount of ip's, we could end up with a node barely covering its costs because we balanced things incorrectly.

When we first started we merged nodes since that brand was still growing and we wanted to get a feel for things. Over time as it grew it was obvious reorganizing was needed or we'd have really lop sided setups.

I doubt we'll be adding much in the way of more nodes just because we lose a lot of potential cash selling IP's with those plans. That doesn't mean we won't do an upgrade to the rest of the nodes, that's a guaranteed to happen, but past that we're likely to just open stock for whatever cancellations we saw that month.

Francisco

• Fran, can you reproduce these blips on a test server? That might make instrumentation a little easier.

@willie said:
    Fran, can you reproduce these blips on a test server? That might make instrumentation a little easier.

No, we have nodes that don't even do it.

We have some nodes with heavier domain counts that don't do it, so what's the difference?

The only thing I could see maybe causing it is that most nodes didn't have deferred HTTP restarts for LetsEncrypt work. I enabled that globally ( le-cp config set --key deferred_restarts --value true for those interested). I don't know if it's enabled in new installs of the LE plugin by default, but it wasn't on most of ours.

Its been calmer. I have a single node thats done a few reboots today but I've also had a few people clearing out literal thousands of their domains so it could just be cPanel catching up to itself.

I've not had any coredumps yet either, but we'll see what comes.

Francisco

• Francisco said: I doubt we'll be adding much in the way of more nodes just because we lose a lot of potential cash selling IP's with those plans.

... and there it is, the Great Confession, the confirmation of what I have been saying all along: there are constraints and realities on $5/year plans.

edited January 2018

@jiggawattz said:

Francisco said: I doubt we'll be adding much in the way of more nodes just because we lose a lot of potential cash selling IP's with those plans.

... and there it is, the Great Confession, the confirmation of what I have been saying all along: there are constraints and realities on $5/year plans.

Well, given this is the LE community, I know it's very surprising that a provider owns a calculator.

I don't operate a charity here.

Francisco

Thanked by 3MrObvious kkrajk FHR
  • LeeLee Veteran

jiggawattz said: there are constraints and realities on $Enter any price/year plans.

FTFY.

• Francisco said: I don't operate a charity here.

I am not besmirching you...

I am a very content BuyVM customer who pays exactly $3.50 every month for a VPS that is worth far more, imho, than its price tag. I'm just telling @sureiam that YGWYPF.

• @jiggawattz said:

Francisco said: I don't operate a charity here.

I am not besmirching you...

I am a very content BuyVM customer who pays exactly $3.50 every month for a VPS that is worth far more, imho, than its price tag. I'm just telling @sureiam that YGWYPF.

Trust i know all the great features included and their value. But as an end user I'm getting about 1 hour average downtime a week and experienced 5-7 hours last week. I understand it's cheap. I understand i can't host dynamic sites. I understand i can't expect email service to be reliable. But then they can't expect to keep simple users that just need a web presence long term. All it has to do is keep a static page online reliably. I don't think it's asking much. It's ok I'm sure my slots will get swooped quickly by users without any monitoring and no clue what's happening to their hosting.

• These guys have too much first-byte time. I tested for my static site it's showing 7.xx sec

• These guys don't have a stable server.

• Now it's showing 1.1x first-byte time.

https://ibb.co/fUXtrm

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2018

@someshzade Did you open a ticket? Are you losing money?

• PieNotEvenEaten said: Are you losing money?

Millions of it

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:

I did..!! Every time they say try this try this -- But all those things didn't work --

@someshzade said:

@PieNotEvenEaten said:

I did..!! Every time they say try this try this -- But all those things didn't work --

The last change seemed to help plenty unless I missed something else?

Anyway, Haveged didn't restart so SSL connections were all fighting for entropy. I booted that up and it seemed to help cut your TTFB by a lot. If it's still acting up, let me know in the ticket.

sureiam said: But as an end user I'm getting about 1 hour average downtime a week and experienced 5-7 hours last week.

We use nodeping with 1 minute checks for the time being for our external monitors and I've not had anything for lv-shared04 since I made some of the changes I mentioned.

Keep me posted.

Francisco

• I am on lu02 and the speed and responsiveness of my sites have definitely improved since last week or so. Webpagetest shows a significant decrease in first byte time. Thanks for the improvement Francisco. WP still seems to hit the CPU max quite often, especially when I am working in the back-end.

• WSSWSS Member

"first byte-en, next shyster."

edited January 2018

@luper769 said:
    I am on lu02 and the speed and responsiveness of my sites have definitely improved since last week or so. Webpagetest shows a significant decrease in first byte time. Thanks for the improvement Francisco. WP still seems to hit the CPU max quite often, especially when I am working in the back-end.

Yeah, I'm aware of the wordpress thing. The 1 CPU limit is too easy to hit, so I need to bump the amount of cores a user gets.

The plan right now is to bump the core count of each node to 40 threads (or maybe 32 x 3Ghz+ threads) and then increase the threads per user that way people don't get rate limited so easily.

Francisco

• Any ETA on the upgrade of the lu nodes?

• WSSWSS Member

@luper769 said:
    Any ETA on the upgrade of the lu nodes?

Get a better immune system.

Thanked by 2Shazan Aidan
  • XeiXei Member
    edited January 2018

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    @jiggawattz Did you feel the burn? I sure did!

Jiggawattz has brought up some valid points though. I have used countless VPS providers and despite how well BuyVM trends in polls their actual service was the
    absolute worst (deadpooled hosts provided better service). I think Fran is a nice guy but that only takes you so far if you're unable to deliver a properly working service. My time with them was incessant and debilitating packet loss over a period of time in both locations. All I can recall was excuse after excuse and I believed Fran because he seems very sincere and speaks with conviction. Eventually I came to my senses as literally no provider had issues of that nature (in history of VPS's). I vaguely recall it was actually in part if not completely BuyVM's fault (whether it was custom tools, custom routing, or something else custom I can't remember and don't frankly care). I will say I've never looked back and I have been much more cautious with provider polls going forward. As far as I can tell business as usual for BuyVM is to make excuses for their shortcomings and blame others. Even if they eventually take some personal responsibility it's hard to take it as anything more than lip service. I do feel sorry for people who end up with poor experiences because they trust the LET polls. I figured they'd have really gotten their stuff together and maybe they have (it seems unlikely given threads like these persist) but it's unfair to really bash jiggawattz for calling out truths IMO. I only really read one post of his and it was spot on (pg 4 post 1). I really dislike talking negatively about anyone or any company but it'd be a disservice to not share my experience because it wasn't positive. I feel like you get jumped by others if you don't have the best feedback for certain providers because of their emotional investment/perceived friendship/likability/etc.

• WSSWSS Member

@Xei Although I've never used Fran for shared hosting- if everything is this bad, why hasn't everyone just moved somewhere else?

Also, according to @jarland, Polls and "Top Provider" tags are not to mean to endorse any specific company- I was confused by that, myself.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • @WSS said:
    Also, according to @jarland, Polls and "Top Provider" tags are not to mean to endorse any specific company- I was confused by that, myself.

LET likes to talk trash WHM, yet they are the same. The difference is that LET is trashy in the sense that you can just get a good laugh, and say whatever. Which is why I like to hang around here lot more than in WHM, but I do it purely on a personal level thus why I decided to drop my other account.

But the reality is that both forums fully understand that when they slap a tag like "provider" they are already letting these providers capitalize on the trust the forum build up for itself. Let alone "top provider" how the heck is that not endorsing a company?! it is, but we can all pretend it isn't.

The polls are more of a grey area.,..

...let alone the obvious bias and protection some providers get around here, including from the staff.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @Xei said:

I get it, but what I don't get is why people insist, it sounds like BuyVM is not even into selling this shared account due to potential profit loss. what I could get from this topic is that people WANT to buy from BuyVM despite what BuyVM does or doesn't do.

If you need to beg for a provider to make you feel he's worth it, take your money, or pay attention to you, its time to move somewhere to else.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2018

404error said: The polls are more of a grey area.,..

Yes, there are many ways people can influence votes . we have thousand customers with 0 votes (not many complaints either , guess I have customers outside LET more from local google ads who do not come here to vote ) and while once upon a time , dewlance was also top provider . So use caution and judgement while purchasing , so I agree with jarland and wss in this .

plus users vote it means they have more happy users possibly in vps hosting which vote happily :)

cheap shared hosting is painful for hosting companies to manage , on top of that reseller hosting ...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2018

@404error said:

@WSS said:

LET likes to talk trash WHM, yet they are the same. The difference is that LET is trashy in the sense that you can just get a good laugh, and say whatever. Which is why I like to hang around here lot more than in WHM, but I do it purely on a personal level thus why I decided to drop my other account.

But the reality is that both forums fully understand that when they slap a tag like "provider" they are already letting these providers capitalize on the trust the forum build up for itself. Let alone "top provider" how the heck is that not endorsing a company?! it is, but we can all pretend it isn't.

The polls are more of a grey area.,..

...let alone the obvious bias and protection some providers get around here, including from the staff.

How is @Dillybob btw? Haven't heard from him in a while.

• @jarland said:

You tell me, I don't know who that is.
    Past lover?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@404error said:

@jarland said:

You tell me, I don't know who that is.
    Past lover?

Thanked by 2hostdare 404error