Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared.net - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared.net

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

./v_pass_the_dutchie_to_the_left_hand_side

Thanked by 2Amitz MasonR
  • Sounds like the root problem is wordpress being a monstrous cpu hog. Maybe you can do something to keep the hungrier plugins under control? The dedicated ips are probably also overkill for most users: I know you promised not to raise prices on existing ones, but maybe you could charge extra for them on new plans going forward.

Rather than a "fewer neighbors" premium shared plan I'd still vote for an ultra premium HA plan like we talked about earlier, maybe made from two KVM slices on separate nodes for each user at $10/month or whatever. I'd back it with SSD rather than HDD slab storage.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

willie said: ounds like the root problem is wordpress being a monstrous cpu hog.

Usually when we see Wordpress eating 100% of a core it's someone working in their admin panel.

We don't know where we'll go with any changes to the plans. I do want to perform upgrades, but to do what I really want it'd require a bump to actives as well.

The HA idea is neat but for now not something i'd want to do. It'd have to be a fully managed deal if anything.

Francisco

• Francisco said: It'd have to be a fully managed deal if anything.

Fair enough. A non-HA plan running in a slice would also have takers I'm sure. I dunno if the cpanel license structure would allow that without lots of extra cost though.

• Francisco said: The main issue shared has is more the man hours involved. Shared accounts for 80% of our ticket volume from people that need help with doing, well, anything. People not knowing how to use cPanel, or FTP, or Softaculous. Anyone on here doing a decent amount of shared will surely agree.

And being at a $5/year price point, you just aren't investing in the man-hours, and that manifests itself in the quality of your product which is being discussed (accurately) here.

I'm just trying to frame @sureiam 's expectations here. At $5/year, you don't get the same quality as you do from the great American internet giants like Yahoo! or AOL. You don't even get close to the same quality as you do from Ramnode, which is a little bit more expensive.

And IPs are indeed an opportunity cost. Makes perfect sense that you would prefer to support higher margin products than the fivers. I really don't fault you at all.

@jiggawattz's is only upset because he's banned from our IRC channel. The minute the ban flushes (restart the IRCD, someone clears it by accident, etc) he rushes into the channel thanking people for the unban. He was banned multiple times for not only shit talking staff members he didn't like, but also started asking users that entered the channel looking for help, for their root passwords. He was told not to do this and still continued to. If you go back to his posts a year ago you'll see he was generally supportive of us and even says he enjoys the product. His issue is he's being childish about a ban.

Actually I just voted for BuyVM in the "Top Providers" poll. I do love BuyVM regardless of my silly ban status on IRC. I'm not sure why you think I am upset when I have said mostly positive things about your service.

It's true that you are not patched for Meltdown + Spectre and that criticism really needs to be lodged, but otherwise I have always been a happy BuyVM customer. Remember: criticism isn't necessarily hostile, it can be sweet, loving and romantic too.

And @Aldryic liked to dish it in support tickets but couldn't take it on IRC. He called himself a troll but couldn't handle being trolled himself. Then he /quit and quit BuyVM too.

• WSS said: ./v_pass_the_dutchie_to_the_left_hand_side

Thank you for that earmworm on a Thursday morning. Now I will have to listen to some smut like Modern Talking to get it out of my mind... ;-)

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@Amitz said:
    Thank you for that earmworm on a Thursday morning. Now I will have to listen to some smut like Modern Talking to get it out of my mind... ;-)

Are you sure Pet Shop Boys aren't better in such cases...?

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

@Amitz said:

WSS said: ./v_pass_the_dutchie_to_the_left_hand_side

And here I thought we were talking about:

;)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2018

I am mighty mighty sure that we are talking about this song:

based on this one:

Keep in mind, @WSS and myself are coming from another time in space.

Shazan said: Are you sure Pet Shop Boys aren't better in such cases...?

I have to admit that I liked the Pet Shop Boys. Not overly much, but I still have some nice memories from the 80ies that are connected to one or two PSB songs. Modern Talking, on the other hand, never had any value to me at all.

Thanked by 2MasonR jvnadr
  • sureiamsureiam Member
    edited January 2018

@Amitz said:
    Keep in mind, @WSS and myself are coming from another time in space.

I have to admit that I liked the Pet Shop Boys. Not overly much, but I still have some nice memories from the 80ies that are connected to one or two PSB songs. Modern Talking, on the other hand, never had any value to me at all.

Haha, I'm well aware, it was meant as a joke.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Francisco said:

404error said: Quite honestly, that would be a bold move. Your current nodes are money makers, so unless your support resources are on the red line, I don't think the PR nightmare and the risk of the churn being way higher than you anticipate being worth not just prepare a node for a "premium" product instead.

Simple math says I would have to lose half my customer base to make it a net loss. I think if I kick some extras like more CPU, inodes, and less neighbors, will win many over.

Francisco

Could MailChannels be included at such (x2) price point?

Javlin said: Could MailChannels be included at such (x2) price point?

I think mailchannels would have to be a paid addon separate of everything else just because of the chance of losing our shirts on it. We get a dozen or so compromised SMTP accounts a month with each account dumping a 100,000 emails in queue, even though we have per domain limits (why they aren't working? no idea). Ideally I'd just write some web hooks so I could catch those right away but if a webhook doesn't work properly it's going to get ugly.

Francisco

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited January 2018

Francisco said: if a webhook doesn't work properly it's going to get ugly

Prior to mailchannels, those limitations used to work for me I just re-read the documentation for Mailchannels integration and think I missed this section before, however, single compromised accounts caused 20-30k emails being sent through mailchannels in just a night. That was the email budget for the whole node itself.

Have experienced this two times in which of one case, customer paid the invoice for damage other one didn't.

I can also relate to those occasional downtimes on your nodes where you know something's wrong but no clue to fix/patch.

jetchirag said: Have experienced this two times in which of one case, customer paid the invoice for damage other one didn't.

Exactly, and suddnely being on the hook for a few hundred bucks because something thought hunter2 was a good password sucks.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

jetchirag said: Have experienced this two times in which of one case, customer paid the invoice for damage other one didn't.

Exactly, and suddnely being on the hook for a few hundred bucks because something thought hunter2 was a good password sucks.

Francisco

Maybe setting a high minimum password security for cPanel could help? https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/68Docs/Password+Strength+Configuration#PasswordStrengthConfiguration-Howtosetminimumpasswordstrengths

So here's the thing with that. I don't think that's enforced at all when it comes to accounts you import from a cpmove file. Most of our compromises (PHP scripts used for spamming, popped SMTP accounts) usually comes from accounts we've imported. Not all, obviously, but a good few.

Another issue we've had is peoples home computers have malware, the malware lifts their login/password to the account, and blasts of that. This is far less likely, but I've had a dozen cases in the past year, usually in office environments.

Francisco

• @Javlin said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Maybe setting a high minimum password security for cPanel could help? https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/68Docs/Password+Strength+Configuration#PasswordStrengthConfiguration-Howtosetminimumpasswordstrengths

Usually customers running outdated scripts and using nulled ( especially Wordpress ) stuff are compromised than cPanel account

• @jetchirag said:

Usually customers running outdated scripts and using nulled ( especially Wordpress ) stuff are compromised than cPanel account

Thats like asking to get the account compromised, running off scripts that have known vulnerabilities or already are backdored... Honestly these days googling 'anything' for free is way less safer than before

Thanked by 1jetchirag

@vovler said:

@jetchirag said:

Thats like asking to get the account compromised, running off scripts that have known vulnerabilities or already are backdored... Honestly these days googling 'anything' for free is way less safer than before

Bingo.

Nulled Wordpress plugins/themes is fairly common to see and they always have some sort of backdoor/script in them for bombing this crap.

My wrapper is able to catch all of it, but still.

Francisco

• vovler said: Honestly these days googling 'anything' for free is way less safer than before

Actual cost of 'free' stuff

Thanked by 2Francisco vovler
  • @Francisco said:

@vovler said:

@jetchirag said:

Bingo.

Nulled Wordpress plugins/themes is fairly common to see and they always have some sort of backdoor/script in them for bombing this crap.

My wrapper is able to catch all of it, but still.

Francisco

Its able to catch the backdoors?

• @vovler said:

@jetchirag said:

Same goes for cheap ass websites.
    Not long ago I read an account about an ecommerce website that was sending all the accounts, payments details to the developer.
    ...not as cheap now, hein?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Francisco said:

Francisco

X emails in Y hours = sender deny in exim config. But then you're getting complaints of temporary exim outages. Can't win :P

vovler said: Its able to catch the backdoors?

No.

Our system is a simple whitelist that wraps sendmail. When someone uses sendmail (phpmail, etc) it'll check to see if you're allowed to do so. It then logs the timestamp, username, and path to the script that called. I audit the logs every so often to find compromised scripts (there's no reason a javascript folder should be sending email for instance).

I may flesh it out in the future to add some path checks, but for now it handles things really well (minus the people that complain about it on forums).

Francisco

Thanked by 1vovler
  • @Francisco Doesn't Mailchannels obviate the need to offer dedicated IPs to most customers?

Existing customers would be grandfathered - but new signups would get thrown on a shared IP + mailchannels unless they purchased a dedicated IP add-on, and you would free up a lot of IPv4 from cancellations.

• @jiggawattz said:
    @Francisco Doesn't Mailchannels obviate the need to offer dedicated IPs to most customers?

Existing customers would be grandfathered - but new signups would get thrown on a shared IP + mailchannels unless they purchased a dedicated IP add-on, and you would free up a lot of IPv4 from cancellations.

As a buyshared customer I can live with this as long as we would still be able to get our own ipv6.

jiggawattz said: @Francisco Doesn't Mailchannels obviate the need to offer dedicated IPs to most customers?

Mail was a smaller reason for giving the IP's. I offered them more to deal with DDOS attacks since I didn't want to start drawing every kid in wanting to DDOS protect their garbage for $5/year, they can pay the full price of a VPS + filtering there.

Francisco

VirtualByte said: As a buyshared customer I can live with this as long as we would still be able to get our own ipv6.

v6 isn't automated at all in cPanel, nor was there API hooks last I checked.

Most nodes should have a /64 available to it so you can ticket and I'll assign whatever accounts you want an address. Obviously each account gets its own IP.

Francisco

• Francisco said: since I didn't want to start drawing every kid in wanting to DDOS protect their garbage for $5/year

I recommend @MikePT for EU time order checking.

You, @MikePT , Val Raulet and Karen would make a fucking A-Team.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Francisco said:

VirtualByte said: As a buyshared customer I can live with this as long as we would still be able to get our own ipv6.

v6 isn't automated at all in cPanel, nor was there API hooks last I checked.

Most nodes should have a /64 available to it so you can ticket and I'll assign whatever accounts you want an address. Obviously each account gets its own IP.

Francisco

I already have a v6 on my account and had no problem with it being assigned manually thru ticket. Communication was very prompt and clear.
    Bummer that cpanel doesn't offer automated v6.