Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServerHand Exits the LowEndMarket - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServerHand Exits the LowEndMarket

Comments

• Is the Serverhand account being controlled by multiple people or a new person now?

• @ServerHand said:

@KuJoe said:

@angstrom said:
    For some reason, I thought that ServerHand were based in the US, but I now see that they're based in England.

Maybe they were sold? Last I checked, they were a registered LLC in Florida (although the information they filed was not valid).

Complete rubbish, my information is legal and accurate. Thank you.

A few hours ago their website was showing a default template address, it is now fixed to his company address.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @JoeMerit said:
    Is the Serverhand account being controlled by multiple people or a new person now?

Jordan in da haus!

• @ServerHand said:

I wouldnt question this for the time being and I couldnt find any British relation either - as rick mentioned that was likely the template dummy anyhow -, but some feedback on

bitswitch said: The bit however that I completely fail to understand (and which was my main point of criticism all along) was your reaction afterwards here in this very thread. Why in God's name would you have thought mere credits are the just thing in this case? Why would you even think of blaming your customers and particularly the Chinese customers for ordering and even promoting your offer? Why was there this back and forth on decisions?

and

@JoeMerit said:
    So how are those refunds coming along?

would be still nice

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@ServerHand said:

@KuJoe said:

@angstrom said:
    For some reason, I thought that ServerHand were based in the US, but I now see that they're based in England.

Maybe they were sold? Last I checked, they were a registered LLC in Florida (although the information they filed was not valid).

Except that you need to use your office address and not a post office box like you did. As you can see in the picture, the first address must be a valid street address while the mailing address is allowed to be a PO BOX.

Thanked by 1LjL
  • @KuJoe said:
    Except that you need to use your office address and not a post office box like you did.

That's silly. "Summer Hosting for Dummies" doesn't recommend mentioning your real address in case your customers will want to contact you.

Thanked by 1KuJoe

@Yura said:

@KuJoe said:
    Except that you need to use your office address and not a post office box like you did.

That's silly. "Summer Hosting for Dummies" doesn't recommend mentioning your real address in case your customers will want to contact you.

I considered that also, but if he doesn't want to be personally liable he should still get that corrected.

• @KuJoe said:

@Yura said:

@KuJoe said:

I considered that also, but if he doesn't want to be personally liable he should still get that corrected.

• TaoronTaoron Member
    edited December 2017

@KuJoe said:

@ServerHand said:

@KuJoe said:

@angstrom said:

Except that you need to use your office address and not a post office box like you did. As you can see in the picture, the first address must be a valid street address while the mailing address is allowed to be a PO BOX.

Nope, you're wrong. I have a registered agent. :) Also, my address is a physical address. Here's some research for you. https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/do-you-need-a-physical-address-for-your-business

• ArirangArirang Member
    edited December 2017

They must have blocked my country. I cannot connect to their site, but according to site online checkers, their site is online. Anyway hope the refund will be done well.

edited December 2017

@ServerHand said:

@KuJoe said:

@ServerHand said:

@KuJoe said:

@angstrom said:

Nope, you're wrong. I have a registered agent. :) Also, my address is a physical address. Here's some research for you. https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/do-you-need-a-physical-address-for-your-business

If that helps you sleep at night then so be it. Just hope you don't ever need that protection or you'll be in for a rude awakening to find out that something you found on LegalZoom is not as accurate as the print on a document you signed. ;)

Thanked by 1MCHPhil
  • @ServerHand said:

Would you still care to reply to my question above?

@Arirang said:
    They must have blocked my country. I cannot connect to their site, but according to site online checkers, their site is online. Anyway hope the refund will be done well.

Their site is online. Which IP address do you get resolved? Can you ping it? Traceroute?

• @bitswitch said:

@Arirang said:

Their site is online. Which IP address do you get resolved? Can you ping it? Traceroute?

traceroute to serverhand.com (216.155.142.205) , 5 relative hops max, 52 byte packets
    14 108.61.244.41 (108.61.244.41) 0.399 ms !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0>
    108.61.2.210 (108.61.2.210) 179.311 ms
    19 108.61.2.210 (108.61.2.210) 0.319 ms 1.360 ms *
    20 * * *
    21 * * *
    22 * * *
    23 * * *
    24 * * *

• Plot thickens.

• bitswitchbitswitch Member
    edited December 2017

@Arirang said:
    traceroute to serverhand.com (216.155.142.205) , 5 relative hops max, 52 byte packets
    14 108.61.244.41 (108.61.244.41) 0.399 ms !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0> !<0>
    108.61.2.210 (108.61.2.210) 179.311 ms
    19 108.61.2.210 (108.61.2.210) 0.319 ms 1.360 ms *
    20 * * *
    21 * * *
    22 * * *
    23 * * *
    24 * * *

IP address is the right one, for me it also times out after 108.61.2.210. Ping worked before but now not anymore, site is still up though.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Seems like people are going a bit far now, a witch hunt is not going to help, I think the important thing here really is when people start getting refunds or service honored over the next 30, 60, 90 days.

Thanked by 3Clouvider 404error Epve
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Seems like people are going a bit far now, a witch hunt is not going to help

Agreed.

I think the important thing here really is when people start getting refunds or service honored over the next 30, 60, 90 days.

Thats what I have already asked twice recently but again without any reaction.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2017

Isn't it illegal to not give people the option of a full refund via the original payment method in most EU countries?

CConner said: Isn't it illegal to not offer a full refund via the original payment method in most EU countries?

Sort of but that is a bit of a big question to give a general single answer too, aside from that Florida is not an EU country :)

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: CConner said: Isn't it illegal to not offer a full refund via the original payment method in most EU countries?

Sort of but that is a bit of a big question to give a general single answer too, aside from that Florida is not an EU country :)

Doesn't really matter where the business is based, if you are selling to a certain country you must make sure you adhere to their laws when selling to customers from there.

• @CConner said:
    Doesn't really matter where the business is based, if you are selling to a certain country you must make sure you adhere to their laws when selling to customers from there.

Maybe but even if that's the case how is this going to be enforced? Yep, not at all.

• LeeLee Veteran

mksh said: Maybe but even if that's the case how is this going to be enforced? Yep, not at all.

Indeed, the same applies to paying $10 for an annual service and not getting the service or a refund, what you going to do? Nothing. Aside from this thread.

• @Lee said:

mksh said: Maybe but even if that's the case how is this going to be enforced? Yep, not at all.

Indeed, the same applies to paying $10 for an annual service and not getting the service or a refund, what you going to do? Nothing. Aside from this thread.

Do not underestimate black magic. :-|

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @Lee said:

True. At least it's pretty sure that counts as foul play regardless where he is located. But in the end you are right. I just don't like the idea of people having to adhere foreign laws.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited December 2017

@CConner said:

Wait until @jarland reads that...

Thanked by 2Yura Lee
  • @Amitz said:

@CConner said:

AnthonySmith said: CConner said: Isn't it illegal to not offer a full refund via the original payment method in most EU countries?

Wait until @jarland reads that.

Oboy...

love your new sig, Amitz.

• @angstrom said:

Sorry, false alarm on my part, but when the new web site went live, there was an English address given as the contact address. Didn't realize that it was a fake address that came with the template!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited December 2017

CConner said: Doesn't really matter where the business is based, if you are selling to a certain country you must make sure you adhere to their laws when selling to customers from there.

Not at all. You have to comply with the laws of the country you are based. Exclusions are only when there are certain trade agreements between your and the client's country (in that case, your country forces you to fulfill the trade agreement) and in taxes agreement between your country and your client's country (e.g. if you sell vps from Pakistan to an EU citizen, you are not obligated to add VAT but you are forced to use your country's tax system because there is any VAT collection agreement between Pakistan and EU).

TL'DR It's the opposite. The client must make sure he follows the laws of the country the server is based.

CConner said: Doesn't really matter where the business is based, if you are selling to a certain country you must make sure you adhere to their laws when selling to customers from there.

Actually, it really does, if you as a customer chose to make an overseas purchase then you are pretty much bound to the consumer laws of the country you buy from.

Thanked by 2Lee CConner
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited December 2017

@angstrom said:
    For the record, yesterday I backed up what I needed to back up, I turned off my VPS, and then I fill out the Google docs page requesting a refund.

Given the crisis of confidence regarding the near future of ServerHand, I decided not to keep my VPS. And there was also no incentive to prefer account credit over a refund.

I'll see how this plays out.

I decided to move on and to accept @ramnet's refugee offer at tinykvm.com, which means that I gave up my claim for a refund from @ServerHand.

This concludes my active role in the ongoing drama.