Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One man shows LEB VPS hosts. Should we be more open? Discuss. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One man shows LEB VPS hosts. Should we be more open? Discuss.

124»

Comments

• I like being able to open a ticket knowing roughly who I'm going to speak to, this applies to one man shows also.

• HostNunHostNun Member

@viCommunications said:
    We coded a program much like seen on "Terminator" the movie. We called it LowNet, if I happen to die, LowNet takes over.

I also have a trained cat to manage all tickets.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

wych said: Can you train my cat to do that?

Well, send it to me for training, after all, I am The Cat answering tickets under John Deer nickname.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2014

It is obvious that many of you have no idea about risk assessment and are just pissed that someone else is trying to explain it to you. It of course matters whether a company is one man and maybe his dog or consisting of more people in charge. But go on having fun, kids. :-) It is quite normal that most people under the age of 20 think that they are invulnerable.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member

I think it's important to know if it is a one man show. At least you can take precautions yourself on the possible event of that one man disappearing.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2014

I am an AI.

Virtovo said: I think it's important to know if it is a one man show. At least you can take precautions yourself on the possible event of that one man disappearing.

If you mean "disappear" as in die or sick, it's much more likely for the company to just disappear (like how BurstNET abandoned Scranton datacenter) than for that to happen to person. If you mean person stops doing anything with hosting service, then I think that's no more likely than company disappearing.

Amitz said: It is quite normal that most people under the age of 20 think that they are invulnerable.

Is it normal for people over 20 to think they are going to disappear?

Thanked by 1sleddog
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited May 2014

@perennate said:

At least they become more aware of the fact that this could happen at any time... ;-)

• alexhalexh Member

@perennate said:

Transparency in general should be promoted. Here's a few things I can think of quickly:

• Renting hardware is expensive. Owning your own hardware generally results in savings being passed to the customer. Having owned hardware also means you are not at the mercy of a datacenter closing.
    • Even if you have capital to buy hardware from the beginning, profit usually won't start rolling in until months later. A consistent client base is almost required.
    • Growth is essential to any company. You need a client base to make money. Any decent-sized client base can't easily be managed by one person who is also performing other business-related tasks.
    • Larger companies are more likely to receive "bailout money." Investors may be interested in restoring a failing business, but not a failing home business.
    • Life is unpredictable. I personally cannot foresee every issue in my life that comes about; The stress from running a business single-handedly would likely, over time, increase risks of health issues also.
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

As Beyoncé would say, Question:

How many one-man shows have gone down the shitter as a result of that one man being unable to fulfil his obligations? I can think of one (24khost), but I'm assuming there are more.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Required phone verification?

Eg: If new host listed on LEB then display his phone number on offer page so visitors can call him and ask him about his age, address, country,etc..

DewlanceVPS said: Eg: If new host listed on LEB then display his phone number on offer page so visitors can call him and ask him about his age, address, country,etc..

SSN, passwords, etc.

How does all that even stop him or her from shutting company down? You can go to house and yell if it happens?

• sleddogsleddog Member

Nekki said: How many one-man shows have gone down the shitter as a result of that one man being unable to fulfil his obligations?

Exactly. The likelihood of a host failing for business reasons far exceeds the probability of a fatal bus encounter.

Thanked by 1JahAGR
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

perennate said: You can go to house and yell if it happens?

Pretty much.

• @viCommunications said:

I also have a trained cat to manage all tickets.

I've used hosts before which seem to have had doge replying to tickets

Thanked by 2JahAGR Mark_R