Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One man shows LEB VPS hosts. Should we be more open? Discuss.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One man shows LEB VPS hosts. Should we be more open? Discuss.

asterisk14asterisk14 Member
edited August 2013 in Providers

As title. Hope thread won't be deleted.
After the deadpooling of another one man show Carstensz pyramid (deadpool) server, should hosts have to provide more information to potential clients regarding themselves. It is very easy to give off the sense of a 'major' company from a well made website when the person running it could be 14 years old running the 'business' off a PC in their mum's cellar.

Thanked by 1kerouac

Comments

• Why would it be deleted?

Thanked by 2DeletedUser Janevski
  • ztecztec Member

Would be nice if you at least give your own opinion first instead of just waiting for stuff to happen.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @asterisk14 why did you start another thread - You had a thread already on this topic :(

Seems like your just asking for people to start stuff with you.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • There's no rule. Things can go wrong with one man show the same as with company with more employees however by my experience being long term clients of various hosts I noticed less long term consistecy with "one men show", especially those who concentrated their business around those pages. Before I go further into explanation I must say that this can't be generalized to every "one man show" appeared here and after years and years using their service I am still their happy client of some but that's sadly not always my experience.

By my experience are one man companies usually more passionate about business, they care for their public image and try to accomodate every client but as much as some of them do this at beginning those things don't always work long term. Motivation is a big factor and sadly through time many of them lose it - as opposite with bigger companies which don't depend from one person motivation.

Fighting for peanuts can be long term very tiresome and in years to come some people want something more and that's not necessary their little hosting business related. That's another potential vulerability of one mans business. It's easier to get away. Service with more employees usually don't suffer because one of their employees decide that he want to spend more time with his family.
    But again - that's not a general rule as there are also other factors (investment into own gear would be one, as example).

In general I can expect more user friendly personal dealings from one man shows and that's great but in case this one person lose motivation, don't answer ticket in reasonable time manner that's usually alarm for me to pack my bags and find some other decent host.

• @WebSearchingPro said:
    asterisk14 why did you start another thread - You had a thread already on this topic :(

Seems like your just asking for people to start stuff with you.

Probably deleted because it was clear his intentions was far from advising users but rather creating a negative atmosphere for the hosts he mentioned.

He seems to only want to create negative impact against others, as someone called the thread useless and them to the list of providers in his old topic yesterday which just comes to show he had no real intention of creating a genuine topic of discussion but just to try harm other hosts

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

Hey, I actually invested some time and effort to answer within topic! :)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Spirit said:
    Hey, I actually invested some time and effort to answer withing topic! :)

... tl;dr

;)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2013

@WebSearchingPro yeah, I know that it's too hard for some people to actually read and discuss and rather waste our and their own time with nonsense low quality reponses ;-)
    Signatures play big factor here, guess.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@ztec said:
    Would be nice if you at least give your own opinion first instead of just waiting for stuff to happen.

I put up a decent thread which DETAILED my opinions. But it was deleted. I feared another thread deletion for airing an opinion. So much for freedom of speech, democracy, etc that people go on about here.

@INIZ said:
    Probably deleted because it was clear his intentions was far from advising users but rather creating a negative atmosphere for the hosts he mentioned.

Rubbish. I laid out my many reasons which can be summed after the deadpooling of yet another one man show carstensz pyramid server. It was not to hurt anyone, but I do feel one man shows should be identified so people can make an informed choice, like we do in any other market when purchasing a service. You sound butthurt-ed. I wonder why that is?

• @Spirit said:
    WebSearchingPro yeah, I know that it's too hard for some people to actually read and discuss and rather waste our and their own time with nonsense low quality reponses ;-)
    Signatures play big factor here, guess.

I feel that replies to a thread should be of equal value as the initial post itself.

Discuss.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @SkylarM so I can't use Crissic Solutions v1.0 as clear example of this what I posted above?

• c0yc0y Member

You demand us to discuss something we have nothing against. If you want to express your opinion so badly, do it in the Cest Pit (although your arguments are pretty irrelevant).

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Spirit said:
    SkylarM so I can't use Crissic Solutions v1.0 as clear example of this what I posted above?

You're more than welcome to use Crissic 1.0 in whatever example you want. I'm not one to lie or sugarcoat what happened then.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • Just because one or two one man companies deadpool, doesn't mean there is going to be an apocalypse all of a sudden with all one man businesses.

I do however with just about everything @Spirit says.

When you get down to it, one-man shows are driven by personal motivation that is not otherwise seen in a larger company of many. The fact of the matter is, when your small the magnifying glass is on you - depending on the person that helps build the self-drive and determination required to be better than the big boys.

Then again, once that determination and drive is gone and things pose a threat in the persons life whats next for the company?

@Asterisk14

I don't think its the fact that you brought it up - it is a valid and general concern. I think its the way you brought it up and the manner you were speaking down at these one-man companies.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
    edited August 2013

@Frost said:
    You demand us to discuss something we have nothing against.

What about the people that post on here just looking for a 'deal' and then get recommendations, do they not have the right to know if they may be putting their data at risk (and don't give me the rubbish re:backup) on a one man show.

I like you have been a lurker for a while and so know a little bit of background of the various hosts, someone just looking for a 'deal' one time poster may not realise what the game is.

Obviously having this info in the public is not good for the 'one man shows' or for some other vested interests, so these people rush to 'flag' posts and thread deletions ensue.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited August 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    What about the people that post on here just looking for a 'deal' and then get recommendations, do they not have the right to know if they may be putting their data at risk (and don't give me the rubbish re:backup) on a one man show.

How about instead of use your head and have backups, you use your head and research the provider you want to host with? It's your own fault if you blindly sign up to some provider you've never heard of without at least searching the forums you are finding the offer on for feedback, testimonials, outage threads, so forth.

I think your initial thread where @serverian made a statement that you didn't like and you added him to your "list" speaks volumes for your maturity and your goal with these types of threads.

Thanked by 1Trulime
  • @asterisk14 said:
    What about the people that post on here just looking for a 'deal' and then get recommendations

Sorry to say, but the people who just want a deal aren't going to shovel through 20 pages of threads to find this obscure piece of material. All they do is look on the front page of LET - look for the cheapest deal then leave.

• c0yc0y Member

@asterisk14 said:
    As title. Hope thread won't be deleted.
    After the deadpooling of another one man show Carstensz pyramid (deadpool) server, should hosts have to provide more information to potential clients regarding themselves. It is very easy to give off the sense of a 'major' company from a well made website when the person running it could be 14 years old running the 'business' off a PC in their mum's cellar.

I see you changed the title. I still think you don't get the picture.

You wrote "should we be more transparent", but whatever you or the community thinks about that is not at our discretion, it's the provider's. (not to mention you're just another butthurt person who lost $2 on a deadpooler)

Now, let's be honest, is that all you could come up with in the hope to start a valid discussion? You honestly are pathetic, you are desperately seeking for a reason to start a thread and try look down on providers who are ran by a single person.

And god, now we're talking about you, remove that retarded picture and signature. This is lowendtalk, we're here for hosting/servers, not politics, we can browse to any random news website ourselves if we wanted to know.

• I am suggesting to keep company names, same as thread's starter name out of the thread and talk with topic. I personally see + and - in dealings with one man shows LEB VPS hosts and also my personal experience vary.

edited August 2013

@WebSearchingPro said:
    Asterisk14
    I think its the way you brought it up and the manner you were speaking down at these one-man companies.

Possibly. I did ask some of the one man shows as to their crisis handling plans, how many people have access to their nodes. They may have 10 people doing the tickets but if there is only one person with access to the nodes what good is that?

All if takes for the whole thing to do down to deadpool land is if that person loses the energy/motivation as @Spirit said above or them getting ill, hit by a bus/Tomahawk cruise missile (if there are any Syrian LEB providers please stand up), or some other personal problem like divorce and that it's. Many Customers ****ed.

Don't we have the right to know how 'secure' our data is. Regulars on here may be able to make the informed choice, but what about newcomers or people that just see an advert on LEB?

edited August 2013

@Frost said:
    you are desperately seeking for a reason to start a thread and try look down on providers who are ran by a single person

Like I wrote in my previous thread, I've got no problem with one man shows, people working from home in a self emplyed capacity. Many of the worlds top businesses started up this way. The difference is that customers could 'see' what the 'deal' was when they dealt with these 'people' as the internet did not exist then and things were more face to face and transparent.

Now, a 14 year old can pull together a professional looking VPS/LEB website, that on first glance looks like a 'major' company. They can write any old codswallop on it and the client has no way of determining what is true and what is not.

How are we to make a choice about who to buy from? For example I couldn't give a hoot if my Host1Free VPS goes to hell, because I KNOW it is not reliable and not to put critical stuff on it. One the other hand, if I bought something from here, I would expect a reliable service that lasted a year. But if I was a normal person and bought from here, there is no way for me to judge the risk.

And stop with the personal attacks @Frost. Keep on topic.

• (if there are any Syrian LEB providers please stand up)

None, closest VPS provider to Syria is LFAIT in Beirut, Lebanon...not low end, cheapest plan is 1GB RAM/55GB disk on a 128KB connection for $100 monthly +$100 setup.

If you don't mind the extra latency to Syria, I'd recommend Hosthink in the Radore DC in Istanbul, Turkey. They do have a LEB offer. I've used them and their service is excellent...and OMFG Pure SSD!

...oops, sorry for the thread derail :)

edited August 2013

@DomainBop said:
    I'd recommend Hosthink in the Radore DC in Istanbul, Turkey. They do have a LEB offer. I've used them and their service is excellent..

Not too sure that's a safe option, if Turkey join the USA aggression against Syria, then Turkey may be on the wrong end of a few Scud missiles.

Besides the servers could be in USA/EU but the person running them could be in Syria as we have some Indian and Egyptian running VPS in USA, so if this person is on the receiving end of USA 'humanitarian aid' like the 1 million dead Iraqi's, then your server could be at risk.

• @asterisk14 said:
    Not too sure that's a safe option, if Turkey join the USA aggression against Syria, then Turkey may be on the wrong end of a few Scud missiles.

go away with your political nonsense

• c0yc0y Member

@asterisk14 said:
    Don't we have the right to know how 'secure' our data is.

No, you should choose a transparent provider if you want that. Noone is required to adhere to your childish demands.

@asterisk14 said:
    Now, a 14 year old can pull together a professional looking VPS/LEB website, that on first glance looks like a 'major' company. They can write any old codswallop on it and the client has no way of determining what is true and what is not.

1. If they can do that, you're probably better off than some 26 year old with absolutely no skillset desperately looking for money, maybe even with mental disorders -> age is irrelevant
    2. How do you expect any business to succeed if you judge by their size and if you want them to be completely honest about their size?
    3. You are free to choose which provider to use, nobody is forcing you to use a provider that isn't transparent
  • @Frost said:
    Noone is required to adhere to your childish demands.

Don't think it's childish to discuss it. It's probably childish to resort to personal attacks like you're doing though.

age is irrelevant

I would disagree, I think LEB providers being run by <16 yrs old one man shows are more risky than ones run by >30 years and with >5 people at the helm. To believe otherwise is just silly.

You are free to choose which provider to use

Choice is based on information. That is what I am opening this thread about. You seem to think that we don't need information/discussion. Strange position.

How do you expect any business to succeed if you judge by their size and if you want them to be completely honest about their size?

So they should lie to pretened to be something they are not and obtain customers by deception. A great way to do business. I hope you're not in the trade!

Some people may not care, for example like having a host1Free server, I know the risks. Some people will be happy to deal with them, especially as they can be more responsive and provide personalised care rather than a huge faceless corp. Horses for courses as we say here.

• age is irrelevant

Not true. A 14 year old can't sign a legally binding contract so the contract you (the customer) enter into with them when you agree to their TOS (a contract) is basically worthless.

edited August 2013

@DomainBop said:
    Not true. A 14 year old can't sign a legally binding contract so the contract you (the customer) enter into with them when you agree to their TOS (a contract) is basically worthless.

You may be signing a contract with his Mum, who knows nothing about computers, let alone VPS, and is just 'fronting' for the 14 year old. Robert Clarke springs to mind.

Thanked by 1Trulime
  • So minimum requirement for VPS providers is 2 people?

• @doughmanes said:
    So minimum requirement for VPS providers is 2 people?

But what if they both get hit by a bus? asterik14 logic

Thanked by 1doughmanes