Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Strasbourg Power Failure

15678911»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It is usually fiendishly difficult to keep track of all those services and how much were they really down, because some people sere impacted way beyond the timeline they put up for the incident due to leftover problems.
    If you really care for it, you should open a ticket with your evidence about extended downtime.

Thanked by 1WebDude
  • As I posted here, some of SBG servers got actually got just bit under 24 hours of actual downtime. Some clusters as SBG running VPS Cloud didn't start even 12 hours after the outage. Then I slept over night and restarted those in morning and it worked.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2017

@dynamo said:
    Its not just OVH. He bashes just everyone in the vicinity. OVH, Zare, Dada, Iomart to name a few.

I've noticed that too, expecially towards Zare, and I don't like this kind of attitude. I find criticizing the competitors highly unprofessional.

• @exception0x876 said:

@sunnyg said:
    Emails regarding SLA were just sent in. Got 12% compensation for OVH RBX and 0% compensation for SYS RBX. Anybody else in the same boat?

Got 12% for SYS and Kimsufi. RBX only.

Not sure why, but the "request SLA" webpage told me I wasnt eliglible.

Nevertheless, I received about 12% money back.

• @exception0x876 said:

@sunnyg said:
    Emails regarding SLA were just sent in. Got 12% compensation for OVH RBX and 0% compensation for SYS RBX. Anybody else in the same boat?

Got 12% for SYS and Kimsufi. RBX only.

can confirm, got a four days extension on a SYS dedi in RBX. yet I can't follow their math (seems like their months have like 30.5 days or so...) roughly 13.3% anyway.

can't tell if they did that automatically or if it's because I used the API call @Vova1234 mentioned. thanks anyway :-D

• @Falzo said:
    can't tell if they did that automatically or if it's because I used the API call @Vova1234 mentioned. thanks anyway :-D

I got an email with a link in it, in which I had to click a single button to claim the SLA.

Seems the link is https://www.kimsufi.com/fr/manager/?csid=wGTUF#/billing/sla

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, my Kimsufi in RBX got 12% = 4 Days.

• I got that link too. It's amusing that they didn't apply the compensation automatically. I have a KS-2E from the flash sale (8 euro/month) and I don't know the compensation formula, but remember something about 5% of the month, so I'd get 0.40 euro at best. I don't think I'll bother. I wonder whether and how they use the info.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

So they send our the RBX/SBG SLA before the BHS SLA from last month that they've ignored and pushed aside.

Well well!

• @willie said:
    It's amusing that they didn't apply the compensation automatically.

Some people do not want the compensation or don't care about it - so might not even request it, you can probably expect at least 10% of the customers that don't care at all - so in that case, it might be 10% saved for OVH.

I had to do compensation myself to some of our customers, it's rather often that we have customers asking to not be compensated.

There's plenty of providers anyway (I'd almost say the majority) where you have to apply for the SLA yourself.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Zerpy said: There's plenty of providers anyway (I'd almost say the majority) where you have to apply for the SLA yourself.

Aye, agreed, it's a standard business practice. Same as with insurance, if your house burns down your insurance company ain't there, just after Fire Department, to pay out on it.

• UpCloud always pays SLA compensation automatically and very quickly. Without making any annoying fuss about it. It's lot easier and nicer way to deal with it. Only if you want to dispute it you might need to have a minor chat. But 99,9% of time everything is handled without causing any trouble.

Just received sla SBG compensations. Not happy at all, or maybe they're giving the compensations out in chunks / cluster or something. Otherwise around 80% of the compensation is missing. The compensation itself is 100%, but they only listed a small part of the services we got there.

I guess I'll wait for one day and if nothing happens, then contact their support. Which is probably swamped about all this unnecessary fuss.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

WebDude said: UpCloud always pays SLA compensation automatically and very quickly.

If we have "always" there, this implies some rather high periodicity.
    While having a shitty free service (due to frequent compensations) is nice, that is hardly a standard to set for the industry.

• WebDudeWebDude Member
    edited November 2017

@Maounique said:
    If we have "always" there, this implies some rather high periodicity.
    While having a shitty free service (due to frequent compensations) is nice, that is hardly a standard to set for the industry.

Well, I haven't ever seen any organization which wouldn't have problems every now and then. When you're having hundreds of servers in multiple data centers, sooner or later one or more of those is going to have some sort of issue.

If they claim they don't have any issues, then they're probably lying. UpCloud tries to be really transparent about any problems. Which most of service provides just go and cover up and claim that it was just a small issue affecting small number of customers, nothing to worry about. SLA

I've heard that this is the way Amazon often tries to say that everything is ok. And it's your fault, if you don't have multi availability zone implementation running. Hacker News is full of complaints about this kind of situations. I guess it's reached meme level stuff. Everything's good don't worry about it.

Based on first impression about 89% of compensation was missing from their first proposal. This is just the "insurance company game", where you try to piss your customers off as much as you can. Just hoping that they will drop the claim. It's also ridiculous to waste everyone's time on such small sums.

• is it some type Affiliation with upcloud ? Bringing again and again on Ovh threads ?

this thread and

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/94181/ovh-vps-cloud-disk-i-o-performance/p1

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @hammad said:
    is it some type Affiliation with upcloud ? Bringing again and again on Ovh threads ?

Nope, but UpCloud vs OVH gives a very nice contrast, how differently some things can be handled. Those are the two providers I'm using in any meaning full scale. I've got servers on other providers too, but not in scale of several dozens and more.

I just one day wrote about ticket handling to my block. Some helpdesk handle tickets in minutes, and no, not tens of minutes, minutes 24/7. And others, well, take days, even if the ticket would be urgent and extremely simple to handle by anyone who bothers to take a look at it.

If I would have time to spare, it would be nice to run hundreds of servers on hundreds of providers, just to get a good baseline about their operations. But we're doing business, and that's not viable model for efficient business operations.