Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyNode is back - and acquires Hostigation, ServerCrate, VortexUnit - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

anyNode is back - and acquires Hostigation, ServerCrate, VortexUnit

Comments

• @rds100 said:
    I miss Tim / mitgib. Is he still around?

Not anymore, he's officially retired from hosting. Apparently he just obtained his commercial driver's licensed and is becoming a truck driver. The last several months he's quit smoking, starting eating healthy and has been getting plenty of exercise. It's improved his health dramatically.

I'll pass your greetings on to him next time I chat with him.

• I don't know how the life of a truck driver is in the USA - but here, it's pure stress. Not sure whether that was a good swap...

Thanked by 1pike
  • @Amitz said:
    I don't know how the life of a truck driver is in the USA - but here, it's pure stress. Not sure whether that was a good swap...

Oh, I don't know: driving a truck out in the country sounds much more liberating than sitting in front of a computer, answering silly tickets.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2017

scaveney said: There is little I can do to make it go faster outside of completely skipping WHMCS in the future - perhaps I will do so

Don't. That delay is key. If your software doesn't do it, you'd better hope your MTA or outbound service does. At a certain number, and you won't know what it is until you hit it, Google is going to rate limit you based on content (not sending IP). Let's be honest, 90% of those emails are going to Gmail.

Anyway, strong move here and look forward to seeing what you continue to do :)

• @scaveney said:
    The queue is part of WHMCS. It sends each email individually in batches, with a delay between each. It's not like I blasted out all of them in a single big BCC. There is little I can do to make it go faster outside of completely skipping WHMCS in the future - perhaps I will do so. Thanks for the suggestion. Regardless, all emails finished sending a few hours ago now. Most customers will be waking up soon to find the notice in their inbox.

There is little you should do and honestly, you should do nothing, its best to send the emails slowly keeping the reputation of the sending IP high rather than sending them all at once only to find out that 80% of them bounced back due to your server being rate limited :)

Thanked by 2scaveney mpkossen
  • @scaveney said:
    The queue is part of WHMCS. [...]

Never mind the naysayers.

Congratulations on the new constellation. :-)

I'm an old Hostigation customer, though I don't have an active service at the moment. Would I also receive an email? (I haven't yet.)

I'm tempted to add a service but may wait until Seattle.

Good to hear that Tim is doing better.

Thanked by 1scaveney
  • I wasn't aware of the Gmail throttling, but in retrospect I should've assumed something like that happened. I am using SES which does have throttling. Still, I may move it into a separate script that will push the mail without affecting the rest of WHMCS (it likes to flock the session token when sending, making other pages block). Thank you @jarland @zafouhar for the feedback on the email issue.

@angstrom - I only sent the message to active customers, since I did not want to spam people who had cancelled or requested to close their accounts. Due to the age of the brand there are many accounts that may have cancelled services as far back as 2007 - they might not even remember Hostigation and just deem it spam.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstrom said: Oh, I don't know: driving a truck out in the country sounds much more liberating than sitting in front of a computer, answering silly tickets.

Haha, that's so 1979... :)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @Amitz said:

angstrom said: Oh, I don't know: driving a truck out in the country sounds much more liberating than sitting in front of a computer, answering silly tickets.

Haha, that's so 1979... :)

I imagine driving in a truck for a hundred miles without seeing anyone in the big, open country. That must be better than replying to tickets. :-)

But as soon as I think of Staus überall, traffic jams everywhere, the picture is less clear, so you may have a point. :-)

• @scaveney said: @angstrom - I only sent the message to active customers, since I did not want to spam people who had cancelled or requested to close their accounts. Due to the age of the brand there are many accounts that may have cancelled services as far back as 2007 - they might not even remember Hostigation and just deem it spam.

Fair enough, especially given that there's a redirect from the old Hostigation site to the anyNode site.

I was pleased to see that I was able log into the anyNode site and still have (old Hostigation) account credit. :-)

Thanked by 1scaveney
  • @scaveney said:
    I wasn't aware of the Gmail throttling, but in retrospect I should've assumed something like that happened. I am using SES which does have throttling. Still, I may move it into a separate script that will push the mail without affecting the rest of WHMCS (it likes to flock the session token when sending, making other pages block). Thank you @jarland @zafouhar for the feedback on the email issue.

That is true, WHMCS should move the mail process in the background so that it doesn't depend on the session :)

Thanked by 1scaveney
  • scaveney said: @angstrom - I only sent the message to active customers, since I did not want to spam people who had cancelled or requested to close their accounts. Due to the age of the brand there are many accounts that may have cancelled services as far back as 2007 - they might not even remember Hostigation and just deem it spam.

Thanks for doing this :) That why I didn't get any email.

btw anynode pricing just like old hostigation pricing, I remember because few day ago I check their website.

Thanked by 1scaveney
  • Hosting Holdings LLC

What is your relationship with this company?

Congrates any way, Hostigation is a reliable brand and I hope anyNode can be one too.

Thanked by 1scaveney
  • @angstrom said:
    I was pleased to see that I was able log into the anyNode site and still have (old Hostigation) account credit. :-)

Yep - all previous account balances are preserved. The only thing that may be missing is affiliate balance, which I'm writing an import script to handle since WHMCS importer failed to do so.

@sibaper said:
    btw anynode pricing just like old hostigation pricing, I remember because few day ago I check their website.

The plan pricing, servers, SolusVM etc are all remaining the same as they were last week under Hostigation, it's effectively just a name change as it stands.

@tianyi said:
    Hosting Holdings LLC

Webhosting Holdings LLC is the legal name of the organization, you'll see it in our PayPal and credit/debit payments. There are a few legal hurdles on Tim's side preventing us from acquiring the Hostigation name officially, which is another reason why we rebranded.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

All I know is, if Tim trusts you then so do I. Anynode will be around for quite some time.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jarland said: All I know is, if Tim trusts you then so do I. Anynode will be around for quite some time.

Pretty much this ^, iirc Tim pretty much started in this game in the dial-up days, I used to speak to him a fair bit on irc years ago, stand up, no-nonsense guy who did not suffer fools, if he has trusted you with this then that is all anyone should need to know.

• scaveneyscaveney Member
    edited October 2017

@jarland said:
    All I know is, if Tim trusts you then so do I. Anynode will be around for quite some time.

I go back a few years with Tim as I was a client with him early on. I wasn't an employee but I did a few contract jobs for him in 2010-2011, helping him transition to his own BGP routers on the cheap as well as building an RTBH script for him.

• @scaveney

It is very worth celebrating the moment, can you offer some unique limited discounts? Maybe $ 10/year, in any case to congratulate you :)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

scaveney said: Not anymore, he's officially retired from hosting. Apparently he just obtained his commercial driver's licensed and is becoming a truck driver.

As someone who works in the USA in the transportation industry...WTF was he thinking? Being a truck driver sucks and the profession will vanish in the next decade.

Being a truck driver in the 1960s was awesome...low regulation, high wages, union protection, retire at 50, very little competition for companies, bennies and hookers every 30 miles.

Being a truck driver in 2017 is a lot less awesome...high regulation, mediocre wages, no union, extreme competition after deregulation, no retirement (heck no retirement for you even if you were a truck driver in the 1960s), and drug testing. Also tons of competition for jobs because of immigration, and everyone in the industry is trying to eliminate your job as soon as possible. At least there are still hookers.

Well, I hope it works out for him. I truly do - Tim was always a good provider. Glad to hear he's doing better.

Thanked by 3sin Amitz mpkossen
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

scaveney said: urns out, it's none other than Robert Clarke, and the brands for sale were ServerCrate, VortexUnit and his Minecraft brand NetherBox. We negotiated the deal for a while and eventually came to an agreement with all three brands, the physical infrastructure and IP assets included in the acquisition.

"I'll sell them for a new skateboard and a week of lunch money. But I want it all in cash because the school cafeteria doesn't take Paypal."

Thanked by 3scaveney sin doghouch
  • scaveney said: We'll have a special once Seattle is available

Looking forward to this, I'll get one =]

• WSSWSS Member

Congrats @scaveney. No idea why you'd quit a real job to return to the cesspool that is hosting, but congrats!

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • KuJoe said: Any idea when Hostigation clients will be informed of this change? I personally hate having to read this kind of news on a public forum before my host informs the actual clients. :(

I got the mail before, and my account is fairly new.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Jones said:
    @scaveney

It is very worth celebrating the moment, can you offer some unique limited discounts? Maybe $ 10/year, in any case to congratulate you :)

If you want to congratulate, buy something without a promo.

Thanked by 3WSS Clouvider maverickp
  • can you share test ip of your service?

• WSSWSS Member

@mikho said:

Did you forget where you are for a moment? Are you feeling OK?

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@mikho said:

Did you forget where you are for a moment? Are you feeling OK?

Headache and in a bad mood.
    It’s probably best for all of us if I took a break, I am alone for a couple of hours so we all know that wont happen.

Perhaps I should throw in a 50% promo somewhere?

• WSSWSS Member

@mikho said:
    It’s probably best for all of us if I took a break, I am alone for a couple of hours so we all know that wont happen.

Perhaps I should throw in a 50% promo somewhere?

There ya go. LET is back in order. If you find my belt, please send it home. I miss it. :(

Thanked by 1mikho
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: As someone who works in the USA in the transportation industry...WTF was he thinking?

He used to be a truck driver a long time ago supposedly so it wasn't anything new for him. Late last year into this year he was doing some Uber/Lyft driving to relax i'm guessing, so he seems very much at home behind the wheel.

Francisco

Thanked by 1scaveney
  • LeeLee Veteran

bsdguy said: More importantly, though, I strongly dislike the attitude behind your way of going about it. Informing your customers is in their interest; putting you message here at LET is in your interest. In other words: You are more interested in creating new business than in caring about existing customers.

Everyone is entitled to a view in all this, but yeah, pretty much that ^^ is the first impression I got. Going to the hostigation site I was met with a redirect to AnyNode with a "stay tuned" or "I have nothing to put in here but will leave it anyway" box. An icon for ServerCrate and so on. All a bit Slap Dash and rushed.

But then the people you are here for won't care.

It's not Tim that is for sure, but then things change, never had much contact with Tim over the years, was not needed and that is what made it so good. One of my original VPS providers, maybe that is why I am peeved, never nice to see a host go that you put trust in.

In honesty though it's no longer such a big concern, I left an active service there because it was worth supporting the provider, no need now so will move it elsewhere at the next renewal.

It could have been handled better, Hostigation and ServerCrate in the same title did it for me :)