Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the brand of control panel really matter? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does the brand of control panel really matter?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2012

@karl I actually have that installed and was going to use that as the foundation for my control panel if I were to use an external one. At this time I am looking at just integrating it into WHMCS to avoid having to use an extra server or requiring another login for our clients.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited February 2012

@Coastercraze said: SolusVM is widely recognized as a VPS panel. Kind of on par with cPanel which I'm sure about everyone has heard of. A lot of times you'll find people saying they need some sort of cpanel.

I don't think comparing it to cPanel is a fair comparison, they're totally different beasts, it's kind of hard to replace cPanel as far as ease of use goes, but a VPS control panel only really needs a few functions to make 99% of customers happy.

I know as long as I can reboot my server, check my bandwidth, and check the VPS status, it's good enough for me, I expect a lot of other people share the same sentiments.

@karl that is only for setup. There are no controls in it.

• Ah, i should have read a bit more on that link before posting it here

Actually it gave me an idea. Thanks!

• @KuJoe if you were looking an idea check on opennode or archipel project.

and maybe you can make a try ganeti.

• @KuJoe

If only OpenVZ had a built in API we could just write a WHMCS module and have done with it, but that's just not the case. Its even more of a pain for providers offering different virtualization types.

• @Coastercraze said: When you think of pop (soda for all the others), do you say you want a coke / pepsi or do you say you want cola?

I believe that's more an example on regional terminology. Having lived in the south for some time now, I'm in the habit of simply saying "Coke" or "soft drink"; my wife (who lived most of her life in New York), however, uses 'soda' or 'pop'.

• I dont think i have ever heard anybody over here use the word 'soda', its just pop :P

• I grew up in Chicago, it was always 'pop', then when I moved to St Louis, it became 'sodi' and now in the deep south I can't really make out what they call it.

• @miTgiB said: and now in the deep south I can't really make out what they call it

"whiskey additive"

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge

@Mon5t3r said: if you were looking an idea check on opennode or archipel project.

and maybe you can make a try ganeti.

I looked at them but was impressed with how OWP worked and how they already have a WHMCS module.

@VMPort said: If only OpenVZ had a built in API we could just write a WHMCS module and have done with it, but that's just not the case. Its even more of a pain for providers offering different virtualization types.

Very true. Since we offer both OpenVZ and Xen it makes it more difficult.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe

I think the Xen/KVM side of things could be easily solved with some work on a stand-alone WHMCS module (Less overhead on the nodes too).

I have approached a few other providers who i get on with and discussed us all putting in the time or more be it cash together and having something built which we can all use.

We all need it, we all hate SolusVM and it would be more cost efficient. So if your interested drop me a message and get involved :)

SolusVM are probably going to give us the boot anyway since i just stuck it to Phill for outsourcing support to people that dont even read your tickets (Along with a few other things)

I might post screenshots actually, its a good read.

• And just after posting i recieve an update to the ticket telling me to remove the screenshot at WHT as apparently disclosing the truth is against SolusVMs TOS*
  • Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: I looked at them but was impressed with how OWP worked and how they already have a WHMCS module.

yeah, they really impressed me as well.. but i didn't touch them since years ago, but still ruby is always be my first choice (for API etc purpose) ~ waiting for your review about them then.. :P

• CoastercrazeCoastercraze Member
    edited February 2012

@Kairus said: I don't think comparing it to cPanel is a fair comparison, they're totally different beasts, it's kind of hard to replace cPanel as far as ease of use goes, but a VPS control panel only really needs a few functions to make 99% of customers happy.

You missed my point. Its about brand recognition. End users will recognize the name "cPanel" much faster than "Kloxo's lxAdmin".

Same goes for SolusVM, they'll recognize it much more quicker than a 3rd party knockoff.

As for the pop example, I mean people refer to it by the brand name. They don't simply call it cola, they ask for it by name either Coke or Pepsi.

• @Coastercraze said: Same goes for SolusVM, they'll recognize it much more quicker than a 3rd party knockoff.

If you judge by quality of code, and how magically quick it was put together after the... dev of restrictive rope met his end.. it seems more apt to call Solus the 3rd party knockoff.

• lbftlbft Member
    edited February 2012

The only SolusVM feature I'll miss is the API. I know Solus is a piece of crap but it's handy to have a standard interface if you hoard VMs from different providers ;)

But this is the low end of the market. Considering what I'm paying I'll get over it.

• WHMCS and SolusVM do what I need currently.

WHMCS is actually pretty good, I don't see another option out there, for the price it's awesome, as well as constantly updated.

I'm constantly frustrated with SolusVM, but that affects the admin side of things and not necessarily the client where they have made vast improvements in the end user UI.

• @SonicVPS said: WHMCS is actually pretty good

I only started using WHMCS about a year ago, AWBS is still a perfectly valid option and is quite a bit better than WHMCS, but the plugin community is much more active for WHMCS, even if it is in competition with SolsuVM as the worlds poorest written script.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB Why did you switch to WHMCS?

• bobinfobobinfo Member
    edited February 2012

There is not any good & free (as freedom) customer/stock/payment system?

Might be pretty easy to write in php though...

• @bobinfo said: There is not any good & free (as freedom) customer/stock/payment system?

http://whoiscart.net/

• @Aldryic said: If you judge by quality of code, and how magically quick it was put together after the... dev of restrictive rope met his end.. it seems more apt to call Solus the 3rd party knockoff.

I suppose HyperVM is the 1st party... :D

• @Fransisco did you have problems with solus?

• @prometeus said: Why did you switch to WHMCS?

Like I said, WHMCS has a much more active plugin community. I had my hopes up for a plugin to interact with the cPanel.net API for partner NOC's, but it never materialized.

• TheHackBoxTheHackBox Member
    edited February 2012

I honestly don't care what the control panel is as long as it works. Also it needs to be able to do a serial console very well as I use it a lot.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@mitgib thanks. Any experience with the big brothers like ubersmith?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Corey said: @Fransisco did you have problems with solus?

We didn't like the software at all in the end. They had beef with us as well :P That seems to be over which is nice. it gives me time to just develop it.

Francisco