Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the brand of control panel really matter? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does the brand of control panel really matter?

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Sounds like everybody is in agreement then. SolusVM is getting the boot then. :)

• I use your service and I like SolusVM. So long as the new CP does the same thing that's okay with me.

• @KuJoe said: I plan on building my own control panel since nothing appears to be open source these days.

So will you open source yours?

• @qenox said: So will you open source yours?

Hey I open sourced mine

• As long as it has the same API as SolusVM that way I don't have to recode my monitoring utilities!

• @justinb, which is yours? I'd be willing to make funds available for a suitable opensource project.

• If Fran didn't hate making money I'd suggest Stallion.

@qenox said: So will you open source yours?

Probably not, I'm not skilled enough as a coder just yet. 90% of my security will be keeping the code hidden. :)

@luma said: As long as it has the same API as SolusVM

SolusVM is closed source so I can't look at their API code. :(

• @qenox said: @justinb, which is yours? I'd be willing to make funds available for a suitable opensource project.

I'm kidding my coding is terrible, last time I wrote a python app it didn't even pass html5 validate.w3.org

• @KuJoe said: SolusVM is closed source so I can't look at their API code. :(

You don't need to see their source to implement their API, really. You just need to know all of the possible API calls and write your own backend code that implements them.

edited January 2012

@NickM said: You don't need to see their source to implement their API, really.

But it would make it really easy to implement something I have no plans on coding myself. :)

• @NickM said: I'd like to see a command line control panel. Something that I can SSH into to control my VMs to perform the common functions (boot, shutdown, reboot, reinstall OS, change hostname, and change root password).

Go to prgrm.com, they provide exactly that. Its working like a charm.

• @japon, that's serial console and it don't provide some other important basic control panel features like OS reinstall or bandwidth monitor.

@Spirit said: bandwidth monitor

Question, is a bandwidth monitor critical if you have an unmetered plan?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: Question, is a bandwidth monitor critical if you have an unmetered plan?

As long is really unmetered without small print which cause bandwidth caps or additional payments for bandwidth overages most likely isn't critical. It's welcome for informational monitoring purpose but not critical, guess.
    But while it's possible it's not most likely that vps host will have all plans unmetered.

• Steve81Steve81 Member
    edited February 2012

@KuJoe said: that should be good enough right?

Normally I prefer solus panel mainly to use solus controller or things like that, to monitor/controll my vps from a single place.

• I don't even care if I have to use hypervm. I only login the panel when there's a problem - like when the server is offline and I don't know why.

• japonjapon Member
    edited February 2012

@Spirit said: that's serial console and it don't provide some other important basic control panel features like OS reinstall or bandwidth monitor.

No. Its the "prgrm menu" where you can perform basic tasks. But, you can also connect to the serial console through that, to reinstall any os if you want. There's some more info on the wiki how to install a fresh Ubuntu or CentOS. For traffic stats I use vnstat.

• For me, the most important thing a control panel can do is work correctly.

Broken features are (IMO) worse than not having the 'feature' available at all.

@sleddog said: For me, the most important thing a control panel can do is work correctly.

+111111111111111. This is the main reason I want to switch to something other than a commercial panel so I have the ability to fix things myself.

• @KuJoe said: Question, is a bandwidth monitor critical if you have an unmetered plan?

Of cause not, This way I know its truly unmetered if no one is checking how much im using.

• @KuJoe Hell yes on the ++

I have been waiting on "something labs" for more that two and a half months now and F*&k me,
    I think Microsoft is faster as I had a problem some time ago where Rightfax would not work on NT 3.5 and they got back to me in 8 months.

@Taylor said: Of cause not, This way I know its truly unmetered if no one is checking how much im using.

Somebody will always be checking. Even if not for billing, it's a good indicator of abuse.

• I don't give a damn about control panel brand, as long as it works.

• @KuJoe said: 111111111111111

• 11111111 11111111 11111111 11111111
            |                |                |                |
          255           255            255           255
  • I learned how to subnet in Cisco I & II. It always takes me a while to do on paper because we weren't allowed to use any cheat sheets or nothin'. I hated it.

• @Naruto said: It always takes me a while

Just do it in your head, it's simple, just keep doubling

1 /32
    2 /31
    4 /30
    8 /29
    16 /28
    32 /27
    64 /26
    128 /25
    256 /24

• People are influenced by names / brand recognition. When you think of pop (soda for all the others), do you say you want a coke / pepsi or do you say you want cola?

SolusVM is widely recognized as a VPS panel. Kind of on par with cPanel which I'm sure about everyone has heard of. A lot of times you'll find people saying they need some sort of cpanel.

So yes it does matter to some extent. Then again you can make your own and make it better than all of these big brand ones. Hell look at ramhost.us their control panel wasn't really designed but does the job pretty darn well :)

I have not tried BuyVM's panel out yet but I do know if SolusVM blows 2.0 I'm outta there. At least once I start with the KVM gig...

• @Kujoe
    For Openvz there is http://code.google.com/p/ovz-web-panel/
    i have used it in my personal openvz host nodes around the lan