Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress or? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress or?

1235»

Comments

• I can't keep up, @bsdguy, you win. :-)

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • @angstrom said:
    I can't keep up, @bsdguy, you win. :-)

Win? There's no winning because there was no fight or competition; just a friendly discussion.

• @bsdguy said:

@angstrom said:
    I can't keep up, @bsdguy, you win. :-)

Win? There's no winning because there was no fight or competition; just a friendly discussion.

Yes, indeed, and a friendly win. :-)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2017

@angstrom said:

@bsdguy said: Talking about it, I have a "hot secret tip": Pascal. I know, it sounds crazy and many consider it uncool, but actually Pascal has lots of safety built in plus it's easy plus there are GUI IDEs and lots of tools and stuff.

Your mention of Pascal caught me by surprise. :-) Most people would sooner sing the praises of Modula-2 or Oberon.

Yeah, this is old, but it's by B. W. Kernighan:

http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-on-pascal.html

Nothing against Modula-2, please! That was the first programming language that I learned back in the days. No, wait. The first one was indeed Pascal, but I liked Modula-2 a lot more.

• WSSWSS Member

Oberon is where it's at, you know..

• @Amitz @WSS: Guys that use Modula-2 or Oberon get the girls. Pascal is passé.

Thanked by 2WSS Amitz
  • It's just Wordpress, plain old Wordpress. No "or" needed.

• @Amitz said:
    Nothing against Modula-2, please! That was the first programming language that I learned back in the days. No, wait. The first one was indeed Pascal, but I liked Modula-2 a lot more.

I agree. And unlike Oberon it was widely usable on diverse architectures.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • WSSWSS Member

@bsdguy Because MacOS, RiscOS, ARM (Cortex), Windows, Linux, Solaris, TOS, and AmigaDOS aren't very diverse, bitch?

• @WSS said:
    @bsdguy Because MacOS, RiscOS, ARM (Cortex), Windows, Linux, Solaris, TOS, and AmigaDOS aren't very diverse, bitch?

Old stuff. Newer Oberon pretty much comes with Oberon the OS only, cunning cunt.
    (And btw, I personally feel that Modula-2, maybe 2+, was the Wirth peak; oberon is interesting more as an academic language).

Oh, and, "hairy bitch", please. We want to stay polite, don't we.

• In my case: I am happy with Spring Boot and Spring Security.

@bsdguy said:
    Maybe you see better now why I'm often so pissed. We have hundreds of languages, a shitload of web programming tools - but almost nothing that cares about and supports good quality and safe web applications.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited October 2017

@cpsd said:
    In my case: I am happy with Spring Boot and Spring Security.

@bsdguy said:
    Maybe you see better now why I'm often so pissed. We have hundreds of languages, a shitload of web programming tools - but almost nothing that cares about and supports good quality and safe web applications.

Quite different level. What we are talking here is at a lower level. The java example would be ESC (annotations). Or in other words: Without proper design and verification spring is worthless (because it would be on shaky feet). I guess, though, that the spring people did their homework properly.

@all who talk about php's productivity: Pardon me, that's BS - unless you define "good result" as "not obviously crashing and more or less doing what it's supposed to do".

As soon as sensitive data or processes enter the game, however, result must mean "reliably doing always and exactly what it's supposed to do - and nothing else" and that is something that hack might achieve to a degree but php is bound to fail achieving, i.a. for the fact that besides some linters (read: very superficial checks) there is no way to properly check and verify php stuff.

My basic ruler along which I measure wrt php is whether someone uses hack and does the more sensitive stuff in strict mode. Anyone who doesn't simply disqualifies and is an amateur. Pardon me, but it doesn't get much more easy and comfortable to do better than to make the rather small step from php to hack.

• OT: I always thought Wordpress is safe if you keep it to the latest version and stick to popular plugins.

Well, fighting malicious code right now on several installations.

• @dergelbe said:
    OT: I always thought Wordpress is safe if you keep it to the latest version and stick to popular plugins.

Well, fighting malicious code right now on several installations.

My opinion is at-least 90% of the code in wordpress repos is trash. Popular doesn't mean good or secure. That applies especially to "premium" products. WordPress vanilla is the only way to have the most secure and stable site. past that vet code yourself.

Thanked by 1angstrom