Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress or? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress or?

Comments

• No. A db is an extra layer while the filesystem operations are part of the OS.

• Anyway if I got it right Grav caches the "db" in the RAM once you build it right? so how much RAM is needed usually? or the ideal for a medium blog? (~ 300 pages)

• Wrong question.

No halfway reasonable system caches everything in memory. Also note that some of the programs discussed here are static site generators, not servers.

• sandro said: Anyway if I got it right Grav caches the "db" in the RAM once you build it right? so how much RAM is needed usually? or the ideal for a medium blog? (~ 300 pages)

From what I remember Grav caches all the front matter, it only passes that back to the memory when a page is requested. For 300 pages I doubt it would use even 100mb.

• Grav is a YAML parser. It doesn't really cache, per-se. In fact, they suggest you use APCu or another PHP opcache to speed things up. Of course, using the PHP native YAML will make things faster, too.

But we're kind of talking apples and oranges. It's basically just a pretty lint.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Minor trivia: both MySQL and PostGreSQL were available at the start of the dot-com boom (and the emergence of blogs). MySQL won because it supported full-text searching with its crappy MyISAM tables, while Pg of that era didn't.

Pg is a much better DB overall (heck, back then MySQL didn't even support transactions and foreign keys!), but speed and features won out over correctness.

Since then Pg has gotten faster and MySQL has gotten more correct. Alas, they're both still light years beyond commercial RDBMS systems.

• @raindog308 I used to refer to MySQL as being "Linux Coder Compatible", in relation to PostGres being robust but having a slightly stronger learning requirement. I think the whole "What? I can't change my Schema on a whim!?" was the nail in its' coffin.

• out of curiosity i just tried to run grav with the built in server, is it normal it just hogs the 128MB VPS?

• elofty said: Whats the best system to use these days? I have used wordpress for years but it seems to be alot more unsecure these days.

I use a plugin to generate static from the wp site... then host plain static

• You can Check Drupal or modx CMS application if you dont wish to use WP.

• @jcaleb said:

I use a plugin to generate static from the wp site... then host plain static

What plugin is that?

• JustAMacUser said: What plugin is that?

Simply Static

• jcaleb said: Simply Static

That's a great plugin, one just has to keep in mind that everything PHP related (e.g. comments, contact forms, eCommerce) will not work then. Not that there are no alternative solutions to still have a full functional website, just wanted to mention it.

• @Amitz said:

jcaleb said: Simply Static

That's a great plugin, one just has to keep in mind that everything PHP related (e.g. comments, contact forms, eCommerce) will not work then. Not that there are no alternative solutions to still have a full functional website, just wanted to mention it.

It could be possible to trap for any dynamic code marked as such and still interpret it, but obviously that's not going to make WP any faster or more safe by only taking about 20 SQL calls off the top.

• @Amitz said:

You can use disqus for comments, something like formspree for contacts and other alternative for other purposes.

I always like to stick codeigniter on website and include page cache. I've always got low load + highly responsive (in terms of speed) and fast sites. Since you don't add much functionality, sites are generally secure.

• @jetchirag said:

@Amitz said:

You can use disqus for comments, something like formspree for contacts and other alternative for other purposes.

I always like to stick codeigniter on website and include page cache. I've always got low load + highly responsive (in terms of speed) and fast sites. Since you don't add much functionality, sites are generally secure.

have you tried laravel?

• @sandro said:

@jetchirag said:

@Amitz said:

have you tried laravel?

Indeed I have. Codeigniter is just simple for small sites. You won't need laravel for them.

• jetchirag said: You won't need laravel for them.

Lumen

• @Lee said:

jetchirag said: You won't need laravel for them.

Lumen

I'm wanting to test it from some time now. I just happen to always forget or sometimes lacks enough time.

For it's worth, I don't think it would be able to convince me to replace it on production sites.

• Don't get me wrong, CI is good for small projects, I used to use it but use Lumen now as I also use Laravel so it's easy to keep up with both.

• Has anybody used CraftCMS, version 3 in particular?

• @elofty said:
    Hello,

Whats the best system to use these days? I have used wordpress for years but it seems to be alot more unsecure these days.

Joomla, Drupal, Magento, Ghost,...

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited September 2017

WP. It remains the most widely used of the major CMS.

• Tried grav after reading this topic, it's pretty nice and a solid alternative to WP in my opinion, thanks guys for the recommendation!

• @elofty said:
    Whats the best system to use these days? I have used wordpress for years but it seems to be alot more unsecure these days.

You need to keep it updated. Most out of date are unsecure without updates.

And I know what I'm talking. I had a domain with an idle Joomla CMS that I didn't look after for years. Then got notified by my host that the received complains that my site had a login page for a bank in South America.

For my CMS search I'm back with WP. GRAV looks nice, but you need actual coding to change i.e. the header image. CMSimple also didn't really was up to my liking.

• recently I found Modx much better CMS.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

I use pagekit.com on some projects an am happy with it.

• I really don’t get the logic with so many people.

WordPress is bloated, insecure, blah…

Use Grav, it’s has no database, is faster and more secure…

Actually if you use WordPress core, no or only battle tested plugins and themes then it’s fast, secure and offers more functionality than any static site generator.

The most significant element about static for those that appreciated it was that you could build locally, deploy and all it had was a bunch of folders and files, nothing to hack, inject into and so on.

But hey Grav is better, it has this great admin panel, lot of plugins and free themes. So it's potentially got security and performance issues as it has a panel like WP, plugins like WP, themes, like WP.

Oh wait, Grav, it’s WordPress without a database but with all the same potential issues, albeit to a lesser degree.

Thanked by 1JustAMacUser
  • @elofty said:
    Hello,

Its not secure only if you use plugins / theme which didn't updated since long time.

Have you tried Joomla??

• @Lee

Not really. For a start, one of the holy rules of safety/security is to avoid complexity, in particular unnecessary complexity. A dynamic system is inherently way more complex than a static one and a software with DB is inherently more complex than one without.

But granted, I'm also amazed by much I read here. For instance about using only battle-proven WP plugins. Pardon me but that's nonsensical. For quite some reasons, two of which I'll spell out: a) according to that "logic" a new plugin, no matter how secure, would have no chance to be picked up vs. a shitty but considered "battle-proven" plugin. b) php.

php is a disease. We would be well advised to remember it's raison d'etre: to give amateurs a chance. That's a nice and worthy goal but professionals creating massively used software should use more professional languages.
    facebook had a bloody reason to create their hack language. And, indeed, static typing is an important ingredient for any kind of professional programming, particularly in terms of safety/security (which boils down to: i.a. everything on the internet).
    google had a bloody reason, too, and they went much further (and acted much more professionally) in creating go (they also fucked up big time in some points but then go was primarily meant to scratch their own itch).

If your local bakery has a php website they are "modern" and technically savvy. If, however, a big league company uses or provides software written in php then that's simply a declaration of incompetence and an invitation to major problems.