Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress or? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress or?

Comments

• @WSS said:
    @sandro Do you come here just to ask questions that are distinctly against the entire design and ideology of the product?

Sorry my question was misleading. I meant if If the pages are more or less static, will it be OK to, like, post comments on the page? I don't get if Grav just replaces the DB with static files or it's not meant for storing data dynamically, from the "outside" mainly.

• @Amitz said:
    I love Grav. https://www.getgrav.org

A bit like Wordpress on steroids with a bit less functionality. But whenever I am not building something by hand or need a certain Wordpress feature, Grav is my go-to solution. I should add that I hate everything database related with a passion and try to avoid it as often as possible. Grav does not need a database to work.

• Not much configuration work
    • Sync it over to another server and it works without any hassle out of the box again.
    • Backups are a breeze.
    • It has a nice backend for editing, but you can as well maintain everything from command line, if you prefer to.
    • It has Themes, Plugins and Skeletons.
    • Works great with Apache, just put it on nginx for very heavy loads and it behaves like a rocket, compared to WP

Did I mention that it's free?
    Give it a try, I could imagine that you will like it.

I am in the process of creating a mini site of around 10 pages and didn't want to use Wordpress. Will give it a try.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • +1 for grav. Works beautifully on LES boxes, even.

• Sure if you have low ram vps, grav perhaps a better alternative. But if you are on shared hosting , or a shared hoster yourself , or hosting multiple website, big chance that you are already having MySQL installed. In this case avoiding WordPress because it is using Database is a silly reason. Your server already has Database , you using some flat cms or WordPress can't change that fact.

• I read a bit of the documentation of Grav and I like it, something similar but based on the DB and that can be expanded easily?

• I second Grav, use it for a few different sites and it just works. Has all the basic features you would want such as back-up built in which makes things even easier.

If you are starting out new, I would definitely suggest Grav over WordPress.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Also to note, because of flat file structure, you can have grav rsync'd on multiple servers easily for HA and/or geoDNS/anycast type infrastructure.

• @cpsd said:
    That is interesting and perhaps another project called Hugo which people says it is even faster.
    Do you know it?

I have not tried it yet.

But I think... there is no such thing as "even faster" - whatever framework you use to generate a static site, because files are generated before the client sends a request.

For me, I already feel very comfortable using jekyll + github pages. Thats all :)

• I use http://ikiwiki.info, it's pretty simple and does the job for me :)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Amitz said:
    I love Grav. https://www.getgrav.org

A bit like Wordpress on steroids with a bit less functionality. But whenever I am not building something by hand or need a certain Wordpress feature, Grav is my go-to solution. I should add that I hate everything database related with a passion and try to avoid it as often as possible. Grav does not need a database to work.

• Not much configuration work
    • Sync it over to another server and it works without any hassle out of the box again.
    • Backups are a breeze.
    • It has a nice backend for editing, but you can as well maintain everything from command line, if you prefer to.
    • It has Themes, Plugins and Skeletons.
    • Works great with Apache, just put it on nginx for very heavy loads and it behaves like a rocket, compared to WP

Did I mention that it's free?
    Give it a try, I could imagine that you will like it.

Didn't know about this, looks promising from their site.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

I've tried and failed to push wordpress alternatives, almost invariably webdevs I've interacted with want wordpress and don't care much about what happens on the server side... will it be a resource hog for no reason? Will they find more convenient to throw 1000 plugins at it even if those are not really needed? They'll bill the customer a little more and they'll get more server resources. If you're building a website for yourself you can use whatever you want obviously but if you have to interact with others in a collaborative team you're always dragged down to the lowest common denominator, which is invariably either wordpress, drupal, magento or joomla; with wordpress being the most used one and usually the winner.

The questions usually are: will the customer need (or pretend) to edit something on their own? will you need to share tools with developers skilled on platform x,y but not z? It may be very simple to learn a new tool but 99% of webdevs prefer to use the unholy homegrown PHP spaghetti armageddon they grown up with, even for a cat portfolio

Thanked by 2sandro geekalot
  • how does kirby even set a license control if you have access to the full php code?

• @sandro said:
    how does kirby even set a license control if you have access to the full php code?

They don't. If that's the case.

Someone (I guess joepie?) already gave nice explanations why encryption of code doesn't sometimes works for license. You need legitimate users

• @cpsd said:
    That is interesting and perhaps another project called Hugo which people says it is even faster.
    Do you know it?

I've been using Hugo on my personal site for a couple of years now and it is indeed very fast at generating pages

$ hugo Started building sites ... Built site for language en: 0 draft content 0 future content 0 expired content 48 regular pages created 56 other pages created 0 non-page files copied 59 paginator pages created 35 tags created 11 categories created total in 101 ms

I've been working on a new Hugo theme for a while but some of the suggestions here have piqued my interest. My personal server usually just runs a minimal nginx install with no PHP or databases but i'm going to give Grav a whirl.

• My personal favorite for years has been CMS Made Simple - https://www.cmsmadesimple.org/

• I run now Wordpress and Bolt.cm . bolt is nice too, very flexible and some useful plugins. Wordpress has a plugin for everything, in that way it's extremely versatile.

I tried also Grav, can't say I like it. To change the header images needs already coding. In WP/Bolt you can do that from the backend.

Currently also trying CMSimple, it's very close to the delete button....

Thanked by 1sandro
  • There are too many CMSes...

• @sandro said:
    There are too many CMSes...

CMSes are like Linux distros: plentiful in number but relatively few have a significant number of users.

• Trying out Grav but failing at the first hurdle. Supplier has Ini_Set disabled in php :(

• @elofty said:
    Trying out Grav but failing at the first hurdle. Supplier has Ini_Set disabled in php :(

Shared hosting?

• @cassa said:
    I use http://ikiwiki.info, it's pretty simple and does the job for me :)

ikiwiki is a wonderful thing - a static site generator using markdown and git (or your choice of other markup and revision control system). Provides a solid wiki or blog format right out of the box, but the in-browser editing features are entirely optional.

It's been around for the better part of a decade. The core system is implemented in perl so maybe best suited for the discerning connoisseur of retro-hipster cachet, but ... whatever. It is what it is and it works really well for the programmatic stuff I need to do - on top of a nice wiki which is simple enough to get started with.

Thanked by 1cassa
  • If you are hosting simple Wordpress website only than simply purchase SSD VPS and configure it with "CENTOS WEB PANEL" and configure PHP function as per your requirement and secure website, now a days many hosting provider provides SSD VPS in a web hosting rates, so you can try it.

To secure Wordpress avoid to install older version of themes and plugins and keep scan your website with tools like https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/

Hope it will help you to secure your Wordpress.

• @sandro said:
    Shared hosting?

My host has them in dockers via Softaclous, can't get easier...

http://demo.softaculous.com/enduser/

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: Btw: With all them scripting languages having dynamic arrays, maps and whatnot plus (at least the better ones) serialisation, I'm wondering why they would use mysql instead of just dumping/reading their 300 users and 30 blog post metadata to/from a fucking file. Would be not any slower (quite the contrary) and more practical, too.

One of the purposes of an RDBMS is to act as an arbitrator between concurrent access. If the web site doesn't have comments, users, etc. then sure, a DB is not needed. But if you have a site where people can comment, eventually you'll have an editing conflict. At that point you can either use a DB or create your scheme for locking, etc. which will end up being a reimplementation of a DB.

I agree that for most people's blogs (1 unique visitor a month?) a DB is overkill, but WP is written for all.

Thanked by 2Lee sandro
  • @raindog308 Not to mention that blogs were "a thing" back when WP started off, and people had more to share than "Here's my dog farting!". Having a DB made sense not only for the dynamic nature, but it sure as hell made search a lot easier than the myriad of bizarre "Free but binary only" solutions that crawled your site and created it's own proprietary DB that were pretty much all you had before that to index static content in the mid-90s/early 2000s.

• @raindog308 said:

bsdguy said: Btw: With all them scripting languages having dynamic arrays, maps and whatnot plus (at least the better ones) serialisation, I'm wondering why they would use mysql instead of just dumping/reading their 300 users and 30 blog post metadata to/from a fucking file. Would be not any slower (quite the contrary) and more practical, too.

One of the purposes of an RDBMS is to act as an arbitrator between concurrent access. If the web site doesn't have comments, users, etc. then sure, a DB is not needed. But if you have a site where people can comment, eventually you'll have an editing conflict. At that point you can either use a DB or create your scheme for locking, etc. which will end up being a reimplementation of a DB.

I agree that for most people's blogs (1 unique visitor a month?) a DB is overkill, but WP is written for all.

Not really. For a start, there is no reason for simple blogs or even fora to be multithreading. We can nowadays handle hundreds of req/second even with shitty php.
    Moreover to handle concurrency isn't hard considering all the libs available; there are even languages that have the necessary things built in.
    Finally, it is often the very (totally overblown, e.g. mysql) db layer that slows down the whole thing so much that people chose multithreading.

And even if they feel to absolutely need a db they might choose smarter than "db == mysql". In most cases (of the kind we talk about here) sqlite would be more than plenty enough. But even that is often overkill because sql is simply not needed in many cases; a plain - and fast! - db without sql will do perfectly fine.

• How do you searches and post comments without a DB?

• @sandro said:
    How do you searches and post comments without a DB?

How does a db do it without another db?

• sandro said: How do you searches and post comments without a DB?

All posts are stored in a 'posts' folder, each post has its own folder within and a template containing the post information, images and whatever else you put in there.

Just as a database searches through a 'posts' table to find the information it needs, something like Grav will search through the 'posts' folder.

• sandrosandro Member
    edited September 2017

@Lee said:

sandro said: How do you searches and post comments without a DB?

All posts are stored in a 'posts' folder, each post has its own folder within and a template containing the post information, images and whatever else you put in there.

Just as a database searches through a 'posts' table to find the information it needs, something like Grav will search through the 'posts' folder.

is, in the end, the same? a db is just indexed files anyway...
    Witj grav can you also store data dynamically?