Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a server for CPU mining
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a server for CPU mining

Budget around $20/month
the more core, high freq(>2/6Ghz, support avx), the better.
Any recommendation?

Comments

• Travel to 2035 when decent current technology will be about $20/mo.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Honest question, do you expect to make more than $20 a month CPU mining or is this just for fun?

• Definitely expect more than $20. I optimized the code so it is quite possible I could make more than $20 as long as the coin price maintains in the same level.

• coolguycoolguy Member
    edited September 2017

This is not a joke :) . I am expecting 8-16 cpu (>2.6Ghz with avx support ). Any recommendation?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2017

@coolguy said:
    This is not a joke :) . I am expecting 8-16 cpu (>2.6Ghz with avx support ). Any recommendation?

And I expect to get a lambo off my collection of shitcoins, we're all a little fucked in a head in our own special way.

Francisco

• AidanAidan Member
    edited September 2017

coolguy said: Any recommendation?

I'll give you 48 8-16 vCores @ 100Mhz each for $20.

Exceeding a load of 1 for more than 15 minutes will get you terminated though.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @Aidan said:

coolguy said: Any recommendation?

I'll give you 48 vCores @ 100Mhz each for $20.

Exceeding a load of 1 for more than 15 minutes will get you terminated though.

Thanks for your offer. The cpu freq is too low. Also I do not know how to guarantee the load. Using cpulimit? Anyway, thanks, I will not take it.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited September 2017

coolguy said: Thanks for your offer. The cpu freq is too low. Also I do not know how to guarantee the load. Using cpulimit? Anyway, thanks, I will not take it.

Thanked by 2joeri FlamesRunner
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@coolguy said:
    Definitely expect more than $20. I optimized the code so it is quite possible I could make more than $20 as long as the coin price maintains in the same level.

I admire your optimism but isn't the mining algorithm the bottleneck and not the mining software itself? How can having a more optimized mining software make "solving" the hash easier?

• There are some specific cpu minable (asic/gpu resistant) coins. I am only interested in two of them and do a profit switch code and optimized one of the hashing algorithms to get 5-10% speed advantage.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

If it fits a dedicated

Dual Xeon E5640 8/16 cores 2.66/2.93 GHz - $ 20.00/m free setup

8GB RAM

2X146GB 15K 6Gbs SAS

10TB BW @ 1Gbs port

/29 IPV4 block

/64 IPV6

Please check at https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/124496/vps-and-dedicate-at-low-prices-see-inside#latest

Thanked by 1coolguy
  • coolguycoolguy Member
    edited September 2017

It seems scaleway is cheap. Anyone has experience with it? Does the starter vps allow cpu mining? What is the cpu freq for x86 64bit Cores? Thanks in advance. I could give it a try.

• coolguycoolguy Member
    edited September 2017

@vpsrus said:
    If it fits a dedicated

Dual Xeon E5640 8/16 cores 2.26/2.93 GHz - $ 20.00/m free setup

8GB RAM

2X146GB 15K 6Gbs SAS

10TB BW @ 1Gbs port

/29 IPV4 block

/64 IPV6

Please check at https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/124496/vps-and-dedicate-at-low-prices-see-inside#latest

This looks interesting. I will go check.

• ... let me guess. Monero and ZCash?

• At least 50% right. Use Monero as a backup for profit switch.

• @coolguy said:
    It seems scaleway is cheap. Anyone has experience with it? Does the starter vps allow cpu mining? What is the cpu freq for x86 64bit Cores? Thanks in advance. I could give it a try.

Scaleway's Starter VPS runs on Avoton C2750 @2.4GHz and it does not support AVX you asked for. The whole idea is quite fishy, especially the part about "coin price maintains in the same level"

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

No.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I can't imagine any VPS provider giving you an offer for this. You can try the dirt-cheap OVH dedis, but I feel like even they'll get pretty upset at you for drawing that much power.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Indeed. If you Max out a CPU, power costs would be around $30-$40/Month.

• Go fuck yourself. If mining is profitable, why providers sell you servers instead of mining on their own?

How can you determine the hash-rate of a CPU miner for Monero?

edited September 2017

levnode said: Go fuck yourself. If mining is profitable, why providers sell you servers instead of mining on their own?

Well as a provider, mining may add additional workload that may not be profitable from a labor perspective.

For one, there are hundreds of Cryptocoins out there and some may be profitable to mine and others may not. It's certainly easier to just rent out servers and not think about it rather than trying to find which coins are best mined by which CPU. And then you still have to sell those coins for real money to pay all the electricity bills.

If $20 /month server rental yields $10 profit, then maybe it's worth it to someone who's making it his/her work to actually earn a living off that, but not necessarily the for the Data Centre.

Think of it this way.

People rent dedicated servers to sell shared hosting and Virtual Servers? Why do Data Centres still rent out dedicated servers when they can make more selling shared / virtual servers directly to the end users? It's actually kind of similar.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

randvegeta said: For one, there are hundreds of Cryptocoins out there and some may be profitable to mine and others may not. It's certainly easier to just rent out servers and not think about it rather than trying to find which coins are best mined by which CPU.

Welcome to https://www.nicehash.com/

Isn't this just for Windows?

@randvegeta said:
    Isn't this just for Windows?

It is possible to use linux mining software with their stratums.

• StrikerrStrikerr Member
    edited September 2017

@randvegeta said:
    How can you determine the hash-rate of a CPU miner for Monero?

https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig#download compile and run

exception0x876 said: It is possible to use linux mining software with their stratums

Oh it's no issue to get mining. I just wanted to know if there was an easy and simple to use app that I could use to effectively 'benchmark' various CPUs to see what kind of hashrate is possible.

I setup an i3-4130 and now getting 90.61H/s. Probably not profitable :-)

Interesting.. I'm getting a lower hash rate from an E3-1230v5 than I am from an i3-4130. The E3-1230v5 is 2 years newer, has twice as many cores and threads and cost more than twice as much.

How odd..

@randvegeta said:
    Interesting.. I'm getting a lower hash rate from an E3-1230v5 than I am from an i3-4130. The E3-1230v5 is 2 years newer, has twice as many cores and threads and cost more than twice as much.

How odd..

something is off with your software config....

Thanked by 1Aidan

exception0x876 said: something is off with your software config....

I'm using identical config for both test rigs. Everything but hardware is identical.