Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spamhaus lists Digital Ocean's entire /20 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spamhaus lists Digital Ocean's entire /20

Comments

• There have been discussions on LET in various threads that DO just gives a fuck to what you do with your servers, which I've read on other few forums as well. Lack of strict SPAM control measures have always refrained me from using DO.

Providers that are strict and intolerant towards abuse and SPAM may be rough to work with for the lesser seasoned guys, but I believe they ultimately prove better over time to admins who control, audit and secure their systems keenly.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • @Aidan said:

Really? Post the ticket and shame :P

I replied to them (albeit 24 hours later) & they ignored my complaint to the point where they never responded back.

Same thing happened a few months later - relating to a rather nasty DoS attack.

Not exactly a customer-focused reply.

For me that's the issue with a lot of companies these days: the customer doesn't come first. It's always their internal this or their internal that. It's the reason I don't do business with DO but I do with Prometeus and Frantech.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

@mpkossen said:

@Aidan said:

I replied to them (albeit 24 hours later) & they ignored my complaint to the point where they never responded back.

For me that's the issue with a lot of companies these days: the customer doesn't come first. It's always their internal this or their internal that. It's the reason I don't do business with DO but I do with Prometeus and Frantech.

That wasn't a support ticket - it was an abuse ticket?

I don't know of many (any?) companies that run their abuse department the same as any of their customer facing departments.

Abuse reports help you identify abuse of your service, nothing more; nothing less.

• @jackb said:

@mpkossen said:

@Aidan said:

I don't know of many (any?) companies that run their abuse department the same as any of their customer facing departments.

Abuse reports help you identify abuse of your service, nothing more; nothing less.

Why shouldn't an abuse department be customer-focused?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@mpkossen said:

@jackb said:

@mpkossen said:

@Aidan said:

The person reporting abuse normally isn't a customer.

Thanked by 2jar Pwner
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@mpkossen said:

Kindly point me to your support ticket where you felt we were not customer focused when speaking with you as a customer. I would very much like to review it to provide feedback to anyone involved.

• @jackb said:

@mpkossen said:

@jackb said:

@mpkossen said:

@Aidan said:

The person reporting abuse normally isn't a customer.

How can you tell?

• Pardon me, is this the "evil DO isn't hard enough on spammers" or the "fucking spamhaus terrorizing half the internet" thread? Just asking

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited September 2017

@Rhys said:

@Damian said:
    Probably not "ignoring" but just volume-based; Spamhaus' expectation for response/action is not within the realm of reality of any host.

There's 193 IP's listed from DigitalOcean, 91 of them in August 2017 alone they definitely goofed. Spamhaus also list their contact attempts:

Date: 2017-08-02

Date: 2017-08-13

Date: 2017-08-17

It was definitely ignored.

We also ignore anything that comes from Spamhaus. The fools who comply with Spamhaus only do it because Spamhaus is blackmailing their organization by blacklisting all their networks and their upstreams' network or because they have a spam service and want to cooperate with Spamhaus.

Spamhaus also never provide any evidence for their claims, only would they send you, sometimes, an email that contains a link to their website or they would list something that has no relation with spam. That's not how you report an abuse and help a provider fix the issue.

It's also a shady company operating a vast chain of shell companies founded by a scammer who suddenly acquired multi-millions villas, yachts and cars in different countries and who also uses Spamhaus to stifle freedom of speech.

Therefore any decent organization should stand against their blackmail tactics, disclose their exactions to the public and inform the fools who use Spamhaus blacklists to filter their email servers.

TL;DR: don't trust an external organization to filter your emails on your behalf and don't use that for your users.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bsdguy said:
    Pardon me, is this the "evil DO isn't hard enough on spammers" or the "fucking spamhaus terrorizing half the internet" thread? Just asking

Yes.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Harambe Pwner
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@bsdguy said:
    Pardon me, is this the "evil DO isn't hard enough on spammers" or the "fucking spamhaus terrorizing half the internet" thread? Just asking

Maybe.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited September 2017

@bsdguy said:

I thought this was the Jarland gives me free DO credit thread tbh.

Thanked by 3jar vimalware Pwner
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

While not the SBL Microsoft considers DigitalOcean's ranges to be spam anyway.

Source: We have operated our low volume mail server from AMS-2 for over 3 years (same IP) and still have trouble with Hotmail/Live absorbing our mail only for it to be rejected. Often the responses don't even come back for many hours/days.

• Microsoft blacklisting is the most terrifying of all. New IP no problem you are blacklisted until we feel it is ok :)

edited September 2017

@SplitIce said:
    While not the SBL Microsoft considers DigitalOcean's ranges to be spam anyway.

Source: We have operated our low volume mail server from AMS-2 for over 3 years (same IP) and still have trouble with Hotmail/Live absorbing our mail only for it to be rejected. Often the responses don't even come back for many hours/days.

I'm afraid that description continues to be fitting of more and more IP space as time goes by. Eventually people have to recognize that the common thread there belongs to one company, which they continue to fund.

When everyone is blacklisted, no one is blacklisted. Then it's just a list of the IP ranges that exist.

• @Aidan That's both hilarious and pathetic.

@doghouch said:
    @Aidan That's both hilarious and pathetic.

What would you do differently?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited September 2017

@jarland said:

@doghouch said:

I said that it was hilarious because DO knew what the customer was doing on the server. On that note, it wasn't really pathetic. I'd probably do the same.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

jarland said: When everyone is blacklisted, no one is blacklisted. Then it's just a list of the IP ranges that exist.

Force people to pay for whitelists.

Mountains of spam gets through hotmail, and I'm sure all of it is from whitelisted companies.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jar

@Francisco said:

jarland said: When everyone is blacklisted, no one is blacklisted. Then it's just a list of the IP ranges that exist.

Force people to pay for whitelists.

Mountains of spam gets through hotmail, and I'm sure all of it is from whitelisted companies.

Francisco

The new protection racket.

@doghouch said:

@jarland said:

@doghouch said:

I said that it was hilarious because DO knew what the customer was doing on the server. On that note, it wasn't really pathetic. I'd probably do the same.

Yeah I feel bad for people who run large VPN services. No solid way to prevent all abuse, and you really need an understanding provider.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @jarland All it takes is one d*ck that uses the VPN to scrape the whole damn WWW. I guess that it's the nature of running a VPN service, but it's just a PITA for the provider and their uplinks.

Thanked by 1jar
  • FeelsGoodMan ColoCrossing doing an excellent job with their IP space. Just a few minor listed: https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/colocrossing.com

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited September 2017

@jarland said:
    Yeah I feel bad for people who run large VPN services. No solid way to prevent all abuse, and you really need an understanding provider.

Surprised DO took a fairly reasonable approach with that guy's VPN stuff. I'm not saying I thought bad of DO, but when I think of big cloud brands "understanding" is not the first word to come to my mind.

Thanked by 2Hxxx jar
  • I'm surprised by this too.

@Setsura said:

@jarland said:

Surprised DO took a fairly reasonable approach with that guy's VPN stuff. I'm not saying I thought bad of DO, but when I think of big cloud brands "understanding" is not the first word to come to my mind.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: When everyone is blacklisted, no one is blacklisted.

Thanked by 2Amitz Riz

@Setsura said:

@jarland said:

The more customers you have, the more stories people will put out there that are tailored nicely to their audience, for the purpose of generating negative opinions and outrage. Then, too, every provider makes legitimate mistakes, and bad decisions, that justify those negative stories.

In the end though, our internal culture of caring about the customer first is a very strong culture with influence all the way to the top of the company. Doesn't mean we don't make dumb mistakes, I'll surely do that until I'm dead, but there hasn't been a time where I didn't agree with a decision after talking it out, or that we didn't collectively agree that a mistake was a mistake.

Always think about the customer first.

Thanked by 1cociu
  • @jarland said:
    Always think about the customer first.

That's not how CC's built their empire.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Hxxx said:
    FeelsGoodMan ColoCrossing doing an excellent job with their IP space. Just a few minor listed: https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/colocrossing.com

Doing our best here.

I am sure Digital Ocean will get the problem under control too. They have plenty of talented people able to development the needed tools.

Thanked by 3MikePT jar Hxxx
  • LeviLevi Member
    edited September 2017

Needed tools won't help them to efectively resolve spam problem. This task needs legion of abuse department monkeys. And that's a pain.

I like online.net approach - they just smile when you complain about listed IP. If you don't like this - GTFO.