Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fully managed VPS Providers - KnownHost? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fully managed VPS Providers - KnownHost?

13»

Comments

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited August 2017

KnownHost also offers "Managed Wordpress Hosting", where they manage the VPS as well as the wordpress installation. They don't have it on their website in detail (just a page) but they will have it up soon.

Also, Quadranet's people are quite friendly to deal with, although I haven't used their services for hosting stuff.

• There's Hetzner managed for 29euros/m https://www.hetzner.com/managed-server/mc40

Guess not many have tried this option

Thanked by 2Ympker Hetzner_OL
  • @Ympker said:
    So a friend is looking for a fully managed VPS provider for some upcoming (in a couple weeks/months) project of his. Any reason to hesitate before I point him to KnownHost?
    Heard LiquidWeb has dropped in quality ever since that merge with WiredTree so I guess KH is the way to go now? NOT looking for offers just some pointers where to look at :P

managed VPS = knownhost or bigscoots nowadays. Bigscoots are only managed host I know that actually supports my Centmin Mod LEMP stack instead of standard cpanel/whm setups. Some of my Centmin Mod users reported that with Bigscoots they can request a managed VPS setup with Centmin Mod instead of cpanel/whm and Bigscoot techs have the know how to support Centmin Mod. Surprised me as I don't think there's any other managed web host out there that does that yet (though I know a few have similar plans) :)

• HxxxHxxx Member

@eva2000 Didn't know about them supporting your script. That's a premium.

• Hxxx said: Didn't know about them supporting your script. That's a premium.

Yeah surprised me too when my Centmin Mod users told me. Apparently, Bigscoots use Centmin Mod themselves too - their official site is powered by Centmin Mod LEMP stack !

As to ticket vs phone support, thinking about it the last time I used phone support was probably back in 2000-2001 when I started with a managed dedicated at rackspace - the noob years never used linux before heh. These days tickets are preferred due to timezone differences. Though I can see how phone support can come in handy i.e. billing issues which you need dealt with/clarified ASAP.

Harambe said: Had issues lately with WiredTree (LiquidWeb) support.

I dodged a bullet there, was customer of Wiredtree for 9+ yrs but left before LiquidWeb could migrate my server. I took all my clients' servers with me and migrated off of Wiredtree/LiquidWeb to better web hosts for managed VPS and managed dedicateds.

Thanked by 2Junkless Hxxx
  • @eva2000 said:

Hxxx said: Didn't know about them supporting your script. That's a premium.

Yeah surprised me too when my Centmin Mod users told me. Apparently, Bigscoots use Centmin Mod themselves too - their official site is powered by Centmin Mod LEMP stack !

As to ticket vs phone support, thinking about it the last time I used phone support was probably back in 2000-2001 when I started with a managed dedicated at rackspace - the noob years never used linux before heh. These days tickets are preferred due to timezone differences. Though I can see how phone support can come in handy i.e. billing issues which you need dealt with/clarified ASAP.

Harambe said: Had issues lately with WiredTree (LiquidWeb) support.

I dodged a bullet there, was customer of Wiredtree for 9+ yrs but left before LiquidWeb could migrate my server. I took all my clients' servers with me and migrated off of Wiredtree/LiquidWeb to better web hosts for managed VPS and managed dedicateds.

I use it for some clients when they do not want access to anything. It is easier to set it and let it go and usually just works.

When they want access I do things by hand use a standard Cpanel set up. Some of my clients have "some" knowledge others do not have a clue and do not want one.

Yes I provide phone support for clients and some times that can be a pain. In the end though I find I connect better with them and can judge better what they want and or need from it. Do I like the 3-4 am calls? Not really but you have to what you have to do sometimes and if that means sleeping later then fine by me.