Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fully managed VPS Providers - KnownHost? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fully managed VPS Providers - KnownHost?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

@Ympker said:
    Aww thats too bad. Probably nail in the coffin at this point. Sure I wouldnt mind ticket only, at all but some people just wanna talk to someone about their problems on phone.
    Specifically about their account problems that is.. Thanks for the heads up though!

Nothing like those losers paying under $10/mo that have to call at least twice a week to bend your ear because they forgot how FTP worked. That certainly helps one maintain a bottom line on a budget.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@LTniger said:
    Ooo! when the LW/WT merge happen? Sorry for OT.

Let me correct your question... When LW destroyed, burn to the ground WT and gangbanged existing customers? Well its been a while. WHT is full of complains about it. Some drama in there.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

KnownHostChrisM said: As for the phone support. The primary reason to avoid phone support and why it is not provided by most providers including us. Is it can be quite challenging for both the customer and us to be able to exchange the information necessary to resolve your issue in a timely manner. Also we do not verify accounts verbally but through a ticket as part of our security precautions, so we cannot provide account-specific answers over the phone. As well as sharing useful information such as log files and configuration details.

I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could verify via ticket then call a pre-agreed phone number, which a lot of the top-tier providers do. I've also found many issues actually benefit from a conversation at some point, as opposed to endless emails going back and forth.

If you don't want to do it that's fair enough, but I think you're slightly overstating the case for not doing it.

Thanked by 3Ympker WSS Clouvider
  • @Ympker you could just ask me ;-)

Of course phone support is included in my managed offers and did you know? I speak german ... more or less :-P

Thanked by 3Ympker Junkless bersy
  • @Ympker you could just ask me ;-)

Of course phone support is included in my managed offers and did you know? I speak german ... more or less :-P

Do you have a website with your offerings and prices?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Let's be real only problematic customers use phone support. Don't waste anybody's time, just fill a ticket. If the host is good enough... by the minute or 2 you will get an answer.

Thanked by 3ChrisMiller WSS sin
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Hxxx said: Let's be real only problematic customers use phone support. Don't waste anybody's time, just fill a ticket. If the host is good enough... by the minute or 2 you will get an answer.

Nonsense.

• @Falzo said:
    @Ympker you could just ask me ;-)

Haha well yeah good point. I think you do speak German :P But he would want to use rather a "big established company" no freelancers and such :/

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited August 2017

I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could verify via ticket then call a pre-agreed phone number, which a lot of the top-tier providers do. I've also found many issues actually benefit from a conversation at some point, as opposed to endless emails going back and forth.

If you don't want to do it that's fair enough, but I think you're slightly overstating the case for not doing it.

There honestly no circumstances which speaking to someone over phone has benefits compared to a ticket. If someone wants some made up fluff and not the full and correct answer phone support is their way to go.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

KnownHostChrisM said: There honestly no circumstances which speaking to someone over phone has benefits compared to a ticket. If someone wants some made up fluff and not the full and correct answer phone support is their way to go.

That is a completely mental statement. I'm actually dumbfounded you've said that.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @KnownHostChrisM said:

There honestly no circumstances which speaking to someone over phone has benefits compared to a ticket. If someone wants some made up fluff and not the full and correct answer phone support is their way to go.

So what about this: A customer (just as mine) is a non-techy guy. No geek, like at all.
    He wants something done with his website or ahs a problem with it but he has neither the professional language nor knowledge to explain the exact issue (atleast when it comes to writing). What people usually do if there are any communication barriers is they talk (and if meeting irl give hand signs if e.g. you speak to someone with a foreign language you dont understand). By speaking to another a lot of people can come closer to describing the actual issue and step by step pinpoint the actual problem or somewhat stress out what they acctually need. Also a lot people just feel better having an actual person to talk to, like a personal agent, someone to call names if things go wrong or someone to ask again if you need something because you were happy with his work. This again does not reflect what support I need but there are people that want just that.

• That is a completely mental statement. I'm actually dumbfounded you've said that.

Only way to find a fault in my statement is if someone chooses to not accept the reality of working in this industry and abstains from providing actual quality support.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

KnownHostChrisM said: Only way to find a fault in my statement is if someone chooses to not accept the reality of working in this industry and abstains from providing actual quality support.

OK fella, I'll be sure to send a ticket (no calls!) into my account managers tomorrow and let them know to pack in the phone support and follow the KnownHost model.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@KnownHostChrisM said:

That is a completely mental statement. I'm actually dumbfounded you've said that.

Only way to find a fault in my statement is if someone chooses to not accept the reality of working in this industry and abstains from providing actual quality support.

There are places for both, tickets are helpful to keep an official record and keep track of things as well as certain types of requests. I've found with some of my bigger clients the telephone generally keeps them a lot happier, and in fact a lot of tickets I end up picking the phone up and calling the client because it can make resolving issues faster.

Thanked by 3Nekki vimalware MattKC
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Infinity said: I've found with some of my bigger clients the telephone generally keeps them a lot happier, and in fact a lot of tickets I end up picking the phone up and calling the client because it can make resolving issues faster.

Exactly. It's incredibly rare in any support ticket you get every single bit of information you need upfront to enable you to deal with a problem effectively. There are always questions, which lead to answers, which lead to more questions. There is no way on earth it's always faster to send tickets back and forth getting all the information than it is to have a quick call to figure out the situation.

• I think you need some SaaS-based VPS with control panel and technical support like ServerSuit.

• @3606202 said:

@Ympker you could just ask me ;-)

Do you have a website with your offerings and prices?

sorry to disappoint, but I don't have a website at all.
    management often is more about individual expectations and terms then standard offerings ;-) and while I sometimes feel the need to put something up for marketing purposes I am running fine so far without.

of course I have some basic grid to offer from, feel free to ask for whatever you are looking and I am pretty sure we should be able to work something out.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Until you are stuck with a dumb AF customer on the phone. Dealing with the usual autistic OCD customer through phone is just a waste of time.

@Nekki said:

Infinity said: I've found with some of my bigger clients the telephone generally keeps them a lot happier, and in fact a lot of tickets I end up picking the phone up and calling the client because it can make resolving issues faster.

Exactly. It's incredibly rare in any support ticket you get every single bit of information you need upfront to enable you to deal with a problem effectively. There are always questions, which lead to answers, which lead to more questions. There is no way on earth it's always faster to send tickets back and forth getting all the information than it is to have a quick call to figure out the situation.

Thanked by 2ChrisMiller sin
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

For the people I do management for they're perfectly content with ticket/IM contact as long as it's fast and it's not a canned response or "could be this could be that" reply. I don't think I'd ever considering doing phone support or hiring someone else to do it, doubt most actually enjoy offering technical support for hosting via phone...

• YuraYura Member

@Hxxx said:
    Until you are stuck with a dumb AF customer on the phone. Dealing with the usual autistic OCD customer through phone is just a waste of time.

I wish you and your family to always stay healthy, physically and mentally.

Thanked by 3Hxxx imok Ympker
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Thanks , you too buddy

@Yura said:

@Hxxx said:

I wish you and your family to always stay healthy, physically and mentally.

• Tickets are fucking overrated. I tried to contact my ISP a week ago and they don't even have a support email address. Fuckin c!owns handle everything by ticket.

• WSSWSS Member

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Tickets are fucking overrated. I tried to contact my ISP a week ago and they don't even have a support email address. Fuckin c!owns handle everything by ticket.

They hate their customers. They know what it takes.

Thanked by 2Hxxx AuroraZ
  • @WSS said:

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Tickets are fucking overrated. I tried to contact my ISP a week ago and they don't even have a support email address. Fuckin c!owns handle everything by ticket.

I know they do for sure. They're pure evil. And they probably collaborate with CC as their network is Ipv6 ready but they refuse to provide it as well.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • WSSWSS Member

@Saragoldfarb said:

@WSS said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

I know they do for sure. They're pure evil. And they probably collaborate with CC as their network is Ipv6 ready but they refuse to provide it as well.

Well, they've got my vote!

• @WSS said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

@WSS said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

Well, they've got my vote!

Approved by @WSS. I'll suggest that for their next marketing campaign.

• Debate about ticket vs phone support aside... why not have the best of both worlds?

QuadraNet offers phone and ticket support, and have just launched our new proactive server management service!

https://blog.quadranet.com/quadranet-releases-imp-a-highly-anticipated-intelligent-monitoring-platform/

• LeviLevi Member

KH has same level of support quality as it was with wiredtree some says. And this is a massive advantage. Go with them. Another options: hivelocity, rackspace, unmanaged VPS with rack911 support (that is super premium).

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2017

@Hxxx said:

@Nekki said:

So because some customers can be problematic on the phone, you shouldn't offer it at all? Couldn't the same be said for tickets?

For fucks sake, how are people so narrow minded in this day and age?

I get not providing a more expensive means of support if it's on the basis of keeping costs down, but making out it that it's unnecessary and causes too many problems is just lazy and demonstrates are real lack of awareness.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Your guys' unmanaged support (network issues w/ colo) was stellar, so I imagine managed would be pretty great.

@ OP

Had issues lately with WiredTree (LiquidWeb) support. KH has been great, haven't really needed to ticket - although I'd love to see if they could optimize a client's VPS with them because I'm too damn lazy/don't have the patience (or budget) to fuck around with cPanel.