Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fully managed VPS Providers - KnownHost?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fully managed VPS Providers - KnownHost?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited August 2017 in General

So a friend is looking for a fully managed VPS provider for some upcoming (in a couple weeks/months) project of his. Any reason to hesitate before I point him to KnownHost?
Heard LiquidWeb has dropped in quality ever since that merge with WiredTree so I guess KH is the way to go now? NOT looking for offers just some pointers where to look at :P

Comments

• WT/LW has been a nightmare. Do checkout BigScoots and Squidix for managed VPS/Dedi.

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2017

I should mention that he does not (really) have a budget. He is gonna host 2 websites: 1x travel blog + 1x a personal web presence (he is a doctor so expect some static page) and perhaps some small other stuff ( dont know about anything else yet). He once rented a vps with shit specs for 30$/mo for about a year until I told him he could do much better so Im the scout now (more or less). "Just get me something good where I dont have to do anything." is basically what he said. He didnt mention any budget as I said.

• Why not purchase a simple webhosting package, like buyshared?

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @drivex said:
    Why not purchase a simple webhosting package, like buyshared?

He does not want to deal with it at all. And he wants to call ppl basically 24/7. He is also not a live-chat guy. Rather call or email but pref call.

• Well, but there are plenty hosting packages out there with good support. @Clouvider for example.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @drivex said:
    Well, but there are plenty hosting packages out there with good support. @Clouvider for example.

Performance would also be of importance. Not xxxx clients on one node sharing the same webhosting package.

And yeah I already had @Clouvider in mind was not too sure about their managed package though. I havent checked yet. Phone would be great though. Just saw that KnownHost only has phone 24/7 for sales and not support? Although 5 minutes initial ticket response time which is superb.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@Ympker said:

@drivex said:
    Why not purchase a simple webhosting package, like buyshared?

He does not want to deal with it at all. And he wants to call ppl basically 24/7. He is also not a live-chat guy. Rather call or email but pref call.

Your friend may should contact us ;) - We already provide some customers managed services, even 24/7 phone support and full pro-active handling of incidents is not a problem for us. For highly critical projects, we have two colocation sites, where we can provide datacenter overarching redundancy.

Thanked by 2Ympker bersy
  • Ympker said: 24/7

If it's working for him, I would rather say dont change because hardly any provider will provide 24x7 assistant under $30/m on call. Exceptions are godaddy, but he'll get assistant and not solution ;P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've used KH and was quite happy with the service. Good servers, responsive support, hand-holding if you need it, etc. They add some basic security configs (firewall, mod_security rules, etc.) to their setup as well.

Be sure to grab the current discount code from their WHT thread.

I loved WiredTree when they were indy but now they've been bought. I haven't used them since the merger so I can't really comment any more.

Thanked by 2Ympker vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Ympker said: And yeah I already had @Clouvider in mind was not too sure about their managed package though.

if your friend looks for the UK there's no better place to be than Clouvider - worry not about the prices on the site, we can work something out :).

Thanked by 2Ympker WSCallum
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2017

@Clouvider said:

Ympker said: And yeah I already had @Clouvider in mind was not too sure about their managed package though.

if your friend looks for the UK there's no better place to be than Clouvider - worry not about the prices on the site, we can work something out :).

This time price should not be of an issue although Id appreciate a fair pricing. 30$/mo was by no means meant as a limit I was rather saying he paid 30$/mo for utter crap stats + unmanaged. Being from Germany at this point unfortunately German Providers are a plus but KH isnt either so I will keep ya in mind ofc :)

@Kabeldamagment

Will check it out. Maybe I can also call you some time in the next days?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I've seen lots of things about BigScoots being really good with their managed servers, them or KnownHost are the only two I would suggest.

• drivexdrivex Member
    edited August 2017

@Ympker said:

@Clouvider said:

This time price should not be of an issue although Id appreciate a fair pricing. 30$/mo was by no means meant as a limit I was rather saying he paid 30$/mo for utter crap stats + unmanaged. Being from Germany at this point unfortunately German Providers are a plus but KH isnt either so I will keep ya in mind ofc :)

In Germany there is manitu, dogado, domainfactory and also Hetzner, which are providing really good support. Manitu is top notch, but not 24/7. All-inkl.com is also sure good enough. Or mittwald.de

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I would highly recommend @Clouvider

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • magicvpnmagicvpn Member
    edited August 2017

Hostsailor.

I'm already 1 year with them and they have a great uptime and a great management team. (Not sure if it's Fully-managed or Semi-Managed) They installed VestaCP and fixed some problems I got during the year.

(I have the 2$ VPS)
    Network:

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...

Testing from Host Sailor (185.xxx.xxx.xxx)...

Hosted by Speedtest Mini (fiberspeedtest.ro) [0.00 km]: 10.795 ms

Testing download speed................................................................................

Download: 928.25 Mbit/s

Testing upload speed................................................................................................

Upload: 943.92 Mbit/s

• KnownHost all the way :)

• @drivex Im a happy customer of all-inkl since 4 years?! So they are surely in the game. They have a 24/7 support hotline from their 8€/mo plans and a special hotline for business customers with their 25€/mo package. They just replied to an inquiry of mine via email within 8 minutes (which is normal) so besides them being a regular webhost and atleast 50/30 other clients on same server they are definitely in the game.

• Same experience, mittwald is in a similar range. But i don‘t know if they do 24/7

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I guess it depends what you mean by "managed". To me it means:

• I can call someone or get a response from someone in a couple minutes at 2am when I have a problem, 24x7x365. Not "open a ticket and a few hours later"...I mean they have people on staff at their desks around the clock watching systems.

• If I need to do something in cPanel and don't know how to do it, the provider will handle that.

• Backups, restores, patching, security issues, etc. - all handled by the provider.

• If one of my customers has a question and I don't know the answer, the provider can help me (though they usually don't directly take white labeled end user tickets).

The first bullet point is negotiable - you may pay less for less rapid service - but the others to me are expectations for managed service.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Bigscoots (US) or Clouvider in UK/EU will be my best suggestions.

• I have a better idea. Why don't you manage it for him ? You can have additional $30 / month.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

yokowasis said: I have a better idea. Why don't you manage it for him ? You can have additional $30 / month.

$1 a day for being on-call 24/7?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited August 2017

Bigscoots and Knownhost, you are safe with any of these.

• Ympker said: He does not want to deal with it at all. And he wants to call ppl basically 24/7. He is also not a live-chat guy. Rather call or email but pref call.

KnownHost does not offer phone support.

• LeviLevi Member

Ooo! when the LW/WT merge happen? Sorry for OT.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2017

@raindog308 said:
    I guess it depends what you mean by "managed". To me it means:

• I can call someone or get a response from someone in a couple minutes at 2am when I have a problem, 24x7x365. Not "open a ticket and a few hours later"...I mean they have people on staff at their desks around the clock watching systems.

• If I need to do something in cPanel and don't know how to do it, the provider will handle that.

• Backups, restores, patching, security issues, etc. - all handled by the provider.

• If one of my customers has a question and I don't know the answer, the provider can help me (though they usually don't directly take white labeled end user tickets).

The first bullet point is negotiable - you may pay less for less rapid service - but the others to me are expectations for managed service.

Exactly that acctually :)

@yokowasis not interested :-)
    Full time student. Definitely cant be on call 24/7

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited August 2017

wa44io4 said: KnownHost all the way :)

Hxxx said:

raindog308 said: I've used KH and was quite happy with the service. Good servers, responsive support, hand-holding if you need it, etc. They add some basic security configs (firewall, mod_security rules, etc.) to their setup as well.

I loved WiredTree when they were indy but now they've been bought. I haven't used them since the merger so I can't really comment any more.

Thanks everyone for recommending us. :)

As for the phone support. The primary reason to avoid phone support and why it is not provided by most providers including us. Is it can be quite challenging for both the customer and us to be able to exchange the information necessary to resolve your issue in a timely manner. Also we do not verify accounts verbally but through a ticket as part of our security precautions, so we cannot provide account-specific answers over the phone. As well as sharing useful information such as log files and configuration details.

You will find our ticket support to be above and beyond what you have previously experienced. Our average ticket response time is under 2 minutes and we aim to resolve support cases in a matter of minutes.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @KnownHostChrisM said:

wa44io4 said: KnownHost all the way :)

Hxxx said:

raindog308 said: I've used KH and was quite happy with the service. Good servers, responsive support, hand-holding if you need it, etc. They add some basic security configs (firewall, mod_security rules, etc.) to their setup as well.

Thanks everyone for recommending us. :)

As for the phone support. The primary reason to avoid phone support and why it is not provided by most providers including us. Is it can be quite challenging for both the customer and us to be able to exchange the information necessary to resolve your issue in a timely manner. Also we do not verify accounts verbally but through a ticket as part of our security precautions, so we cannot provide account-specific answers over the phone. Sharing useful information such as log files and configuration details.

You will find our ticket support to be above and beyond what you have previously experienced. Our average ticket response time is under 2 minutes and we aim to resolve support cases in a matter of minutes.

Aww thats too bad. Probably nail in the coffin at this point. Sure I wouldnt mind ticket only, at all but some people just wanna talk to someone about their problems on phone.
    Specifically about their account problems that is.. Thanks for the heads up though!