Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Host/DC Do You Dislike The Most And Why? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Host/DC Do You Dislike The Most And Why?

Comments

• Hetzner...replacing working drives instead of the broken ones - twice!

I like Hetzner overall, but the Seagate ST31500341AS drives they were using in most of their servers until recently have a history of failing (Seagate's user forum is full of complaints about drive failures when the drives are used in a RAID array).

This is a comment I left in the Cest Pit a few weeks ago about the drives in an i7-980x I picked up on Hetzner's serverbidding:

Hetzner's ServerBidding is serving up barbecued hard drives today: 51°C-55 °C temperature, 22,000+ hours, 3 of the drives had errors, and drive #4 with 5500 reallocated sectors was toast according to smartctl. ST31500341AS=Crap drives. Server returned within an hour of receiving it. :P

@Zetta said:

I would have a mKS 2G if I didn't read all the stuff here about them. I prefer not being screwed from their one strike policy.

The mKS2G is a really good value. OVH is known to substitute better parts than the advertised specs (my mKS2G came with an N2800 processor). Uptime is really good too (228 days and counting) so the lack of support OVH provides for its Kimsufi line doesn't matter because there is no reason to contact support. OVH's support for their non-Kimsufi products is better (although not great). I wouldn't recommend OVH though if you're running a hosting company because they do enforce their abuse policies...

• LOL. Can I say I just gained another customer for staying out of ColoCrossing? :D

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Colo Crossing - No IPV6.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2013

@ShardHost said:
    A thread with a title of "What Host/DC Do You Dislike The Most And Why?" started by a host themselves is only going to end in a car crash. If you want to avoid our services for pointing that out then that is indeed a shame.

Don't be so whiny. It's just a thread on cctalk.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

We do business with HudsonValleyHost who are in CC and we've had no problems whatsoever. I would strongly recommend them...

Most seem to just want to bash CC for their amazing prices and their huge size.

@dominicl said:
    We do business with HudsonValleyHost who are in CC and we've had no problems whatsoever. I would strongly recommend them...

Do you need some chapstick?

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • @dominicl said:

You work for hudson valley host.

Thanked by 1jar

@seriesn said:

• @DomainBop said:
    I like Hetzner overall, but the Seagate ST31500341AS drives they were using in most of their servers until recently have a history of failing (Seagate's user forum is full of complaints about drive failures when the drives are used in a RAID array).

Yup - lots of random/unexplained crashes. However the Seagate's do have ERC modification which so far has made them more 'reliable' ie they just error out quicker but don't freeze the node (http://stacksetup.com/Advanced/TuningDesktopDrivesRaid).

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@seriesn said:

No I do not. I have done in the past, but I do not at the moment.

• @dominicl said:
    No I do not. I have done in the past, but I do not at the moment.

One of the recent hudson valley review hs your name plastered.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited July 2013

Colo@ was HORRIBLE. Bleagh.. Bleagh.

I know Johnston hates Incero, but to be honest I liked them. The only problem was our server was constantly messing something or another up and we didn't diagnose it as memory failure until the last day.

so the lack of support OVH provides for its Kimsufi line doesn't matter because there is no reason to contact support.

You no contact OVH support, OVH support contact you.

Thanked by 2chauffer mpkossen
  • I also had no issues with HudSonValleyHost when I used them for 10+ months, however, I was not in their CC facility, I was in the BurstNET Scranton location.

• JunJun Member

Choopa. great uptime and fast support.

• @Jun You're being sarcastic, right?

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    I also had no issues with HudSonValleyHost when I used them for 10+ months, however, I was not in their CC facility, I was in the BurstNET Scranton location.

Thanks Jeffrey.

• ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran

@dominicl said:

Thanks Dominic.

• JunJun Member

@Jeffrey I literally mean it. Why?

• @Jun You didn't read the topic. What Host/DC Do You Dislike The Most And Why?

• JunJun Member
    edited July 2013

@Jeffrey I wish the world is full of love rather than hate.

Thanked by 3mpkossen Jacob Infinity
  • RyanDRyanD Member

@Rallias said:
    Colo@ was HORRIBLE. Bleagh.. Bleagh.

I would be very interested in hearing your feedback as to what exactly was so horrible. You may of course contact me directly, or post here if you wish. Obviously there were some recent events regarding the power failures in our 34 Peachtree location but otherwise we have sustained fantastic uptime throughout our locations. I suspect this is in relation to something other than those outages.

Thanks!

• @RyanD pretty sure BlueVM changed from Colo@ before the power outages occurred.

• RyanDRyanD Member

@concerto49

BlueVM was never a customer of ours, rather they were a client of Dedidirect whom simply colo'd within our facility.

• @RyanD understood. Dedidirect eh? All makes sense then.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited July 2013

@RyanD said:
    concerto49

BlueVM was never a customer of ours, rather they were a client of Dedidirect whom simply colo'd within our facility.

Oh... I apologize... I seem to have misdirected the blame in that case. I never really paid THAT much attention... I always heard "colo@ this, colo@ that".

Honestly, the main problem was hardware failure. At the rate it was going, if it had continued the way it was, we would have lost a major portion of our customer base by now. Then there were the Latronix Spider units... those things were like the bane of sysadmins or something. There were a couple times abuse notices got delivered to the wrong folk.

Then there's the atlanta power outages once we've switched off to colocrossing which caused me to develop the 15 minute policy here. There were multiple ping failures with Backupsy with your IL location.

Ok... I'm getting confused... why y'all have to start with the same bloody letter?

• jakejake Member

@RyanD said:
    concerto49

inb4 privacy policy controversy

• RyanDRyanD Member

@jake said:
    inb4 privacy policy controversy

No violation, no information disclosed you couldn't otherwise gain from rwhois, per arin policy guidelines.

• RyanDRyanD Member

@Rallias said:
    Then there's the atlanta power outages once we've switched off to colocrossing which caused me to develop the 15 minute policy here. There were multiple ping failures with Backupsy with your IL location.

Backupsy is also not a client of ours. If I am not mistaken, they are a client of continuum

• @Rallias, go home, you are drunk!

• RyanDRyanD Member

@serverian said:
    Rallias, go home, you are drunk!

LOL, I'm just curious if anybody wants to attribute any other clients to us that aren't ours ;)

This discussion has been closed.