Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone run their own mailservers? If so, is it any good compared to gmail? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone run their own mailservers? If so, is it any good compared to gmail?

13»

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@MadSprite said:
    I have been looking into archiving gmail messages offline and have it saved either locally and yet still have it searchable in some way, you could try that. I'm still not fully sure of my plan so I can't offer something concrete.

I've been archiving using http://gmvault.org/ to backup my GMail accounts, it's not the same though because I can't search my archive easily from my phone.

• sarahsarah Member

I have been self-hosting mail using Cloudron on Digital Ocean for a while now. If you want to self-host, I recommend Digital Ocean servers since their IPs seem to be generally clean and have a good reputation (well, so far anyway....). The trick is to create 5-10 servers simultaneously on DO and then check against the IP blacklists.... and settle on one :) You can do this by setting the instance count when you create a server.