Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone run their own mailservers? If so, is it any good compared to gmail? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone run their own mailservers? If so, is it any good compared to gmail?

Comments

• @Damian said:
    I did for awhile, but found it to be too much work. The "war on spam" has made it extremely difficult to guarantee email delivery even on transactional/correspondence emails. Even if you set up SPF, DKIM, reverse DNS, and everything else, you may or may not still encounter arbitrary blocks by Google or MSN that you won't know why you're blocked and can't do anything about.

I was in the same boat as you , nothing helped... Then I switched to mailgun.

• oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Consider running mail on a cpanel host and add spamexperts mail filtering. Its not that expensive.

• EdmondEdmond Member

I want to run my own mailserver, but I just haven't figured it out how to yet.. D:

• @Edmond

This is a good place to start: ISPmail Tutorials

• @oplink said:
    Consider running mail on a cpanel host and add spamexperts mail filtering. Its not that expensive.

For $5 / lifetime. @jarland at your service.

• I did, but it was more cost effective for me to run it off of one of the mail providers offering services here.

I probably am going to run my own GNU Mailman though since I can store the emails on any provider I want. I don't care where my public lists are as long as they can be seen.

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

If you care about your privacy, you should always run your own mailserver.

Many companies, expecially the biggest one already mentioned here, scan for the email content and analyze them for "marketing" purposes... anonimously, of course...

• TomTom Member

I'm running mailcow-dockerized. Honestly it's great, very easy to add your own containers (e.g. I added rainloop) and very easy to update. Running it on a RamNode box and had no problems with deliverability. 10/10!

• @yokowasis said:

@oplink said:

For $5 / lifetime. @jarland at your service.

Can you please explain $5 lifetime deal?

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Dedicated mailservers (dedicated IP/resources, full access to logs, custom spam configuration, etc) are good if you don't mind building a reputation (2-3 weeks). Also possible to pair it w/ Premium relay addon.

Premium Mail is the only product we offer that even comes close to services like Gmail: cross datacenter active-active redundancy, triple data replication, premium relay+, cloud, video conferencing, online office, etc.

Pavin.

• cassacassa Member

postfix + dovecot + mutt & squirrelmail

• postifx + dovecot + thunderbird + roundcube

Works very well, and much faster than any cloud hosted junk.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited July 2017

For a start: What do you want? Just the mail services (smtp[s] and pops[s]) or a cozy furry clickedyclick front-end, too?

I personally consider all three options you mentioned as unsatisfactory. redmail isa fucking zoo of shell scripts, postal is ruby with lots of web front-end plus, oh yeah, some email stuff thrown in, too, and citadel is old and basically a bbs system that has been bent and perverted to become an email system.

I could add one more to the list: xmailserver. Somewhat basic, no funny gadgets but quite reliable.

Anyway I strongly advise against doing your own email system. Unless you are under certain constraints (like I am), you should just shell out some bucks to @jarland and be done with it. I've heard only positive things about his mxroute and he seems to fucking well know what he's doing.

One major reason for that advice is the state of things. That starts with having them servers running being but the first part of an ugly journey. The real work is adding and configuring (sensibly) all the stuff around a mail server; spf, dkim, spam, etc. and to then administer the whole zoo. The next problem is that pretty much all servers are a) either from the stone age or from quite clueless scripting hackzors and b) not at all funny animals that you need to make working together like in a circus. But they offer tons of stoneage shit nobody needs anymore and most never even heard of (uucp routing, anyone?)

And btw., unless you have quite a bunch of domains and at least some hundred users it's just not worth the trouble anyway. Just hand over some bucks to jarland; he seem to make a living by taming the weird creatures and to make them play together nicely.

Thanked by 1jar
  • bugrakocbugrakoc Member
    edited July 2017

I ran my own for a year and a half before buying @jarland a burger and a beer in exchange for a year of the top notch service he provides. Just go with MXroute, It's not worth the hassle unless you are paranoid or want the experience.

• Mark_O_PoloMark_O_Polo Member
    edited July 2017

I use VestaCP which is basically exim + dovecot + roundcube. VestaCP is a decent frontend GUI, but the forum and lack of updates are not confidence inspiring. Since I've been using it, only had one issue with AT&T blocking my sent mail to their customers. I wasn't on any blacklists and they never told me why. Got sorted out but took 48hrs. Otherwise all my mail arrives and goes through fine.

Personally, if needed, would try MXRoute over Oogle. Jarland probably cares more...

• Curious as to why no one has mentioned Zimbra and would love to hear any reasons people might recommend against its use.
    I use it personally (24 accounts, a few for me and some for friends/businesses I'm hosting) as well as for my main job (138 accounts).
    It has fairly high requirements but has a ton of features, is easy to use, and fairly well documented imo. Simple install and has built in webmail with some collaboration functionality.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@CircusMusic said:
    Curious as to why no one has mentioned Zimbra and would love to hear any reasons people might recommend against its use.
    I use it personally (24 accounts, a few for me and some for friends/businesses I'm hosting) as well as for my main job (138 accounts).
    It has fairly high requirements but has a ton of features, is easy to use, and fairly well documented imo. Simple install and has built in webmail with some collaboration functionality.

Java, not a very low end friendly app.

• YuraYura Member

@bsdguy said:
    Just hand over some bucks to jarland; he seem to make a living by taming the weird creatures and to make them play together nicely.

Yes, that's what he does - he is an admin on LET, the weirdest zoo of IT world.

• Set a ptr record for the authorized domain and it worked fine for me.

• @CircusMusic said:
    Curious as to why no one has mentioned Zimbra and would love to hear any reasons people might recommend against its use.

too much memory wasted, not to mention bloatware for basic email. (sending and receiving only)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited July 2017

I run Mailcow, standard version 0.14, combined with a simple cheap OpenVZ hosting from @cociu of 10$/year (you can probably find cheaper servers, but Mailcow standard needs at least 800MB RAM).

I do not recommend Mailcow dockerized version because it needs more RAM (about 2GB) and can't run on OpenVZ, heavily increasing cost requirements.

Thanked by 1cociu
  • Honestly google should make GMail for Business's server available for people to self host their own gmail for their business, so they could run it on their own servers.

They could still charge for this, but it means that you could selfhost your own email that'll be reliable, as good as dealing with spam/mailbombing like GMail is, and everything else.

My personal gmail catches phishing, spam and fraud emails every time while putting all my important stuff in my main mailbox and all those emails from Amazon, eBay Promotions, etc in a "Promotions" tab, and all those Twitter, YouTube, etc emails in the "Social" tab.

I've only had 1 miscategorization I can remember, and it was with a humble bundle steam code, everything else has been 100% flawless with gmail. I have several iCloud/MobileME emails (where my facebook and stuff is) and omg it's horrible scrolling through a flooded inbox where things like social, etc aren't categorized, it just feels like a mess, my mom has a Comcast.net email, same thing just a flooded messy inbox. GMail is the only mail service that makes it elegant to check your email.

• @KuJoe said:
    You will never compete with GMail in terms of spam and stability, it's just not possible to do with a limited budget and the tools available. Even other paid solutions struggle to handle spam and deliverability as well as GMail. That's being said, I run my own mail servers for my personal e-mails because even with a 100GB upgrade my GMail still fills up relatively quickly for me.

I have been looking into archiving gmail messages offline and have it saved either locally and yet still have it searchable in some way, you could try that. I'm still not fully sure of my plan so I can't offer something concrete.

• ethancedrik said: They could still charge for this, but it means that you could selfhost your own email that'll be reliable, as good as dealing with spam/mailbombing like GMail is, and everything else.

Pretty much all their IP is in how intelligently they filter mail, so I don't see how they'd want to give that away unless there's a 'call home' to Google with the contents of your email.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • just use protonmail.com its switzerland and there filters are perfect.

• busbrbusbr Member

@ritsu93 said:
    just use protonmail.com its switzerland and there filters are perfect.

Last time I checked, it's just a SpamAssassin with no Internet connection.

• ritsu93ritsu93 Member
    edited July 2017

@busbr said:

@ritsu93 said:
    just use protonmail.com its switzerland and there filters are perfect.

Last time I checked, it's just a SpamAssassin with no Internet connection.

huh what?

• WSSWSS Member

If you setup your MTA properly, SPF records, rDNS, and actually spend a little time not letting people abuse the fuck out of it, the care and feeding is relatively low after the initial setup.

That said, I run my own because SMTP is insecure enough as it is- I don't need it passing through a SummerHost However I tend to divert the routing through MXRoute because I only run my own as a backup.

• I run my server at OVH without any problems, never saw any issue with it. SpamAssassin is good as SPAM filter but it will eat some resources on your machine.