Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone run their own mailservers? If so, is it any good compared to gmail?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone run their own mailservers? If so, is it any good compared to gmail?

As title says, I'm thinking of running one of the complete mail suites.. My choices are:

iRedMail http://www.iredmail.org/

Postal https://github.com/atech/postal

Citadel http://www.citadel.org/doku.php

What are your opinions on these suites? Which of them is the best one for self hosted mailserver?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member

I did for awhile, but found it to be too much work. The "war on spam" has made it extremely difficult to guarantee email delivery even on transactional/correspondence emails. Even if you set up SPF, DKIM, reverse DNS, and everything else, you may or may not still encounter arbitrary blocks by Google or MSN that you won't know why you're blocked and can't do anything about.

Thanked by 1madnoob
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

You will never compete with GMail in terms of spam and stability, it's just not possible to do with a limited budget and the tools available. Even other paid solutions struggle to handle spam and deliverability as well as GMail. That's being said, I run my own mail servers for my personal e-mails because even with a 100GB upgrade my GMail still fills up relatively quickly for me.

• I have run one using iredmail with around 50 active users.
    Once you get rdns, spf, dkim setup etc, everything runs pretty smoothly.

Thanked by 2HostinganID raynor
  • @GlideServers said:
    I have run one using iredmail with around 50 active users.
    Once you get rdns, spf, dkim setup etc, everything runs pretty smoothly.

right, i think iredmail is good if you have think about your rdns, spf, dkim and other.

• edfoxedfox Member

I've been using Zoho (free) on multiple domains for 4 years with no issues at all.
    Last time i tried to host my own mail server it worked but got blocked by Hotmail and Yahoo for some reason despite having all the SPF/rDNS/DKIM bullshit set up correctly and the SpamAssasin score being really low.

• Right now I'm thinking between Postal and iRedMail.

• spf rdns, dkim etc even if you setup that correctly you wont easily landed in inbox on all email provider, EVEN spammer use SPF RDNS DKIM nowdays, so stop complan

• I run my own mail server, for my friend and family

In few week I want to test rspamd as spam filter

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

One option to help deliverability is using a transactional mail provider via SMTP with whatever mail suite you choose. Quite a lot of providers offer a quota of free emails. Some have pretty bad free IP pools reputation wise but I've come across some that are willing to move you to a better IP pool after a while of seeing what you send.

• Just pay $5 to @jarland and be done with it.

• bluesegabluesega Member
    edited July 2017

@KuJoe said:
    You will never compete with GMail in terms of spam and stability, it's just not possible to do with a limited budget and the tools available. Even other paid solutions struggle to handle spam and deliverability as well as GMail. That's being said, I run my own mail servers for my personal e-mails because even with a 100GB upgrade my GMail still fills up relatively quickly for me.

Sadly, even Google's paid apps for using other domains doesn't guarantee a delivery, sent a mail to my other mail account (being Hotmail Japan), and it still was in Spam folder (everything set up correctly, spf, dkim, dmarc, etc.), yet this was the only case until now, because for some reason, at Hotmail in Europe, US, etc. this IP address from Google sending the mail is not blacklisted, while there it is. Nowhere else blacklisted luckily though.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • WSSWSS Member

I use OpenSMTPD. It does al'ight.

• MalinMalin Member

I'm with mailcow.email. Works smooth!

• I'd be using OVH IP ranges.. How fucked am i?

• busbrbusbr Member

@stefeman said:
    I'd be using OVH IP ranges.. How fucked am i?

Mailcheap uses OVH, FWIW.

• I used iRedMail for a couple of years with my outbound going through SendGrid. Worked great for personal stuff.

• AidanAidan Member

Not at all, just make sure the IP's you get are clean before setting up anything on 'em.

• Go for Google.

• @Aidan said:

Not at all, just make sure the IP's you get are clean before setting up anything on 'em.

Any place I can check for their cleaniess?

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited July 2017

If you just want a simple and reliable IMAP email service go with @mxroute. If you want more advanced features (collaboration, antivesync, etc..) go with @mailcheap

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • I'm using roundcube and for a 256MB RAM/ 256MB SWAP VPS it almost handled 3000 mails.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:

My mail server runs on OVH and has for over two years, have no problems. Once with Hotmail but it was fixed after contacting them 2-3 times.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@MikeA said:

@stefeman said:

My mail server runs on OVH and has for over two years, have no problems. Once with Hotmail but it was fixed after contacting them 2-3 times.

Ever since they started using vade retro their IP reputation has skyrocketed.

• @jarland said:

Do you mind to explain better? Thanks

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

We are using Rackspace Email Hosting in our company. It works very well, no major complaints but I have been thinking to run our own mail server.
    Anyway, @jarland mxroute and @mailcheap seem to be very recommended here and worth the buck.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • Been with @mailcheap for nearly 7 months now and I couldnt have been happier so far. Great support, and they just introduced new features for old customers for free as well.

I can definitely recommend them.

I do host a secondary mail server for spam mail (the receiving, not sending kind) where I dont actually send email from. I dont enjoy needing to be always available to fix shit if my mail server craps out. Which I would need to do if I had my main email on it.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • WSSWSS Member

As long as I setup a handful of secondaries on different networks- I always get my mail.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@nqservices said:

@jarland said:

Do you mind to explain better? Thanks

OVH has a network layer spam filter to reduce outgoing spam. Their IP space is no longer consistently dropped by major email providers.

Thanked by 2JustAMacUser karjaj
  • @jarland said:
    OVH has a network layer spam filter to reduce outgoing spam. Their IP space is no longer consistently dropped by major email providers.

That sounds great!