Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oversold Brand in Chicago [8GB KVM] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oversold Brand in Chicago [8GB KVM]

Comments

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Looking further in to this I could also do the same in the UK, Germany, Netherlands and possibly even Dallas but that may be pushing it.

Dallas is fine. What's wrong with Dallas? Can probably do this in Dallas.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Nope, I came to that conclusion myself too, no one does care, the market wants RAM with a stable enough connection, the other oversold brands have proven this.

Yeah it's sad. It seems to be the case in low end plans in general - not just oversold stuff. Look at Firehub and HE + Cogent blend - it gets praised, whereas some that have better blends get ignored.

• markmark Member

I would be interested in this, here's my thoughts:

• Ability to get extra IPv4 with justification at additional (but reasonable) cost would be very good.
    • A ban on game servers would be nice because we all know they would absolutely drain the CPU and I'm sure there would be enough demand to make it economically viable without them.
    • If you are going to go KVM, would you allow Windows to be installed? That strikes me as something that would suck up the memory very quickly.
    • Would SSD cached really make much difference in this sort of application?

Mark.

• @concerto49 said:
    Yeah it's sad. It seems to be the case in low end plans in general - not just oversold stuff. Look at Firehub and HE + Cogent blend - it gets praised, whereas some that have better blends get ignored.

+1 Someone finally told the truth about Fiberhub.

• rds100rds100 Member

I want unlimited RAM VPS or gtfo :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

im in

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Include cPanel for another $10/month and I'll get one.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@mark said:
    I would be interested in this, here's my thoughts:

• Ability to get extra IPv4 with justification at additional (but reasonable) cost would be very good.
    • A ban on game servers would be nice because we all know they would absolutely drain the CPU and I'm sure there would be enough demand to make it economically viable without them.
    • If you are going to go KVM, would you allow Windows to be installed? That strikes me as something that would suck up the memory very quickly.
    • Would SSD cached really make much difference in this sort of application?

Mark.

Thanks for the feedback, Not sure if a total Ban on game servers would be put in place, perhaps just lower CPU priority on those that run then 24x7, Windows will not be allowed as I am not SPLA registered and don't intend to purchase DC edition for this, SSD's always help and 6 x 3TB drives gives more than enough space and with the SSD's it will perform better than 8 x 3TB drives.

@rds100 go to digital ocean :)

• @MikHo

Not happy with an 8GB KVM for $7, you want cpanel for $10/month....

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Boss anthony, i will just run Java webapps for low traffic

• @serverian said:
    +1 Someone finally told the truth about Fiberhub.

I thought they had Tinet / TW Telecom actually, but Fran told of the truth recently. I mean earlier with Tinet it wasn't so bad.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited July 2013

@MikHo

Get $7/mo 8GB KVM from Anthony, add $10/mo cPanel from BlueVM. Should do wonder.

• EvoEvo Member

Sounds great, @AnthonySmith

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited July 2013

I assume Minecraft is not allowed :P

• I'd be careful with KVM. Yes you can oversell ram via KSM, but the overhead on Memory is a lot higher than that with OVZ. Best of luck with the offer though :)

• @concerto49 said:

I mean, you are paying way less than a liquidweb 1GB vps for a 8-16GB dedi, what is there to complain? Most of the everyday users care less about geek facts and more about physical aspect like ram and storage.

I mean, I work for t-mob but I will say this in public, AT&T has better network than t-mob but only reason t-mob is making a huge impact because they offer everything unlimited* for 50$/mo where basic att bill goes above 100. Oh well.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    perhaps just lower CPU priority on those that run then 24x7,

This would be perfect!

• BK_BK_ Member

No windows? D:

• awsonawson Member

Not sure if serious, but I can imagine a very limited AUP.

@BK_ said:
    Thank you for no windows? :-)

I fixed that for you!

AUP would not be limited at all, no real need for it there would only be 50 - 70 people p/node so everything should be fine.

• TravTrav Member
    edited July 2013

I'm in! I love overzold, but since it's based in Italy and I'm in the US, it was a little bit slower than I would of liked. Chicago would be perfect though!

Edit: Not sure on how many people would actually need 100 IPv6 addresses though. :P

• Where's the order link? :-P

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @mpkossen said:
    Where's the order link? :-P

+1, and +2 if Windows is allowed, I will definitely think of just getting a remote workstation that I can login using my tablet anywhere I need.

• Awesome idea. Would totally get one.

• @AnthonySmith: you could also do this and not oversell it. 4GB RAM for $7/month is a killer of a deal anyway. People would probably buy that as well, even if you offer it without support. You would even make more money off it ($441 with 63 machines). OK, it may not be a very profitable plan, but still.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@BenND said:
    MikHo

Not happy with an 8GB KVM for $7, you want cpanel for $10/month....

The original price was $5 / month and I would be happy with that but would be happier if cPanel was extra cheap with the vps.

Not sure where you got the impression that I wasn't happy with the price?

• GunterGunter Member

Honestly, I imagine that if this does become a legitimate offer, soon other providers will try and match that offer even further.

What I'm concerned about is the possibility of a small provider mixing these allocations with the smaller, originally less-oversold packages.

• What about Windows with user supplied licenses?

• GunterGunter Member

@Magiobiwan said:
    What about Windows with user supplied licenses?

Will that include Dreamspark licenses perchance?

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited July 2013

@AnthonySmith said:
    I fixed that for you!

Haha :(

@Magiobiwan said:

^ That's sort of what I meant.
    /don't ask me how you could've answered that earlier with my two-word post :P

@Magiobiwan said:

If the user wants to send evidence of authenticity i.e. not MSDN/Technet then it could be considered and would be activated pre hand over to end users then I do not see why not.