Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is my server is on right DC? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is my server is on right DC?

13»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yura said: One could argue that playing any amount of D&D is too much, period. But having read W40K books in the past, I can't bring myself to nerd shame a fellow geek. It's all guilty pleasures, right.

Been playing since '79 when someone told me it was a good way to meet girls. Still waiting for that to pay off but I'm sure it will soon...

Thanked by 1Yura
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Bopie said: as for remote hands what the fuck, its not like he has to go into the DC and physically move a wire etc ita all done via the management module and it takes no time at all,

Erm, whatever you need an engineer for should realistically be expected to be chargeable. I dunno how big your organisation is, but generally labour ain't free, and the labour that actually knows what they are doing is very expensive. On top of that you actually have to pay the engineer to be available even when your company doesn't have a job since the Customers don't expect to have to wait X hours for the support, hence where the remote hands charges come from.

You'd go to Equinix and you'd be charged £150 / hr + VAT for every started hour from the moment they opened the ticket and started to think about responding, through them preparing a flash with the OS, using the lift to go to your rack. Opening it, installing it, going back and writing a report, yet you expect the server provider to do it for free?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017
    1. Companies do not pay vat.

2. Equinix does not bill full hour from start. Neither does Interxion.

3. They have ILO so could fix his access with no one local. No one does local installs if the server has remote (aside that this is a C3000/C7000 chassis with extended management).

4. OS installs should be automated anyway if you have any scale (nocps is a thing and does ILO..).

• PwnerPwner Member

@cociu said:
    man ... if i got a playboy sister i swer i go for more days !!! dont be rude !

Calm down there Borat.

• MikaeelZAMikaeelZA Member, Host Rep

Their services are only good when it comes to VPS imo, would not get a dedi with them.

William said: Companies do not pay vat.

That's a generalisation. Not every company is VAT registered.

Equinix does not bill full hour from start. Neither does Interxion.

They can even not bill you at all, bill you more, or less, all charges depend on the contract. £150 / hr seems to be general rate for London.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Just for clarification and to end the drama:

1. Athyl has purchased a server (HP BL460c G8) from us last week on Friday (19th May), it has been provisioned within the contracted timeframe (until Wednesday the 24th May, three business days).

2. Athyl wanted to have CentOS 7 installed, we did it. It works and the server is running fine. After getting CentOS installed, he wanted to switch to CentOS6 as his virtualization environment does not support CentOS7. CentOS installations are not yet automated, thats something we are working on. The first custom installation is free, further installations are not as this consumes still working time which costs reasonable money like we pay money for our datacenter staff to do hardware related hands-on work.

3. IPMI Remote Console did not work due to a recent IPMI upgrade which changed the remote console port, thats true and something which was not expected. As we are using our own ipmi gateway solution, access from the outside is only possible from a specific source address after gaining access via our customer panel (it's NAT). On Thursday, there was a public holiday in Germany. The IPMI related problem was fixed yesterday, on a normal business day.

4. He seems not to be familiar with common administrative tasks, just asking / annoying multiple times for simple things like to manage his whole server without paying for that. Just a note: He is doing some sort of vps business. (this was / is not related to IPMI)

5. Installations for Debian and Ubuntu are automated based on our own solution. CentOS installations are not yet automated, we dont use noc-ps anymore as it's totally insecure (open ntp and such stuff).

Our emergency support, which is also our on call person, is available 24/7 by phone, it doesnt matter if I'm in holidays or on vacation. Your problem would have been fixed within 20-30 minutes if you had called us. Just a note: For technical problems on our side, such calls are free of charge.

Instead of continously spamming me on my offline skype account, this would have been the more problem solving solution. I'm currently still in Austria on vacation and I'm also not the official technical support, thats my private skype account.

Thanked by 3boernd irm Rhys
  • AthylAthyl Member

@Kabeldamagement said:
    Just for clarification and to end the drama:

1. Athyl has purchased a server (HP BL460c G8) from us last week on Friday (19th May), it has been provisioned within the contracted timeframe (until Wednesday the 24th May, three business days).

2. Athyl wanted to have CentOS 7 installed, we did it. It works and the server is running fine. After getting CentOS installed, he wanted to switch to CentOS6 as his virtualization environment does not support CentOS7. CentOS installations are not yet automated, thats something we are working on. The first custom installation is free, further installations are not as this consumes still working time which costs reasonable money like we pay money for our datacenter staff to do hardware related hands-on work.

3. IPMI Remote Console did not work due to a recent IPMI upgrade which changed the remote console port, thats true and something which was not expected. As we are using our own ipmi gateway solution, access from the outside is only possible from a specific source address after gaining access via our customer panel (it's NAT). On Thursday, there was a public holiday in Germany. The IPMI related problem was fixed yesterday, on a normal business day.

4. He seems not to be familiar with common administrative tasks, just asking / annoying multiple times for simple things like to manage his whole server without paying for that. Just a note: He is doing some sort of vps business. (this was / is not related to IPMI)

5. Installations for Debian and Ubuntu are automated based on our own solution. CentOS installations are not yet automated, we dont use noc-ps anymore as it's totally insecure (open ntp and such stuff).

Our emergency support, which is also our on call person, is available 24/7 by phone, it doesnt matter if I'm in holidays or on vacation. Your problem would have been fixed within 20-30 minutes if you had called us. Just a note: For technical problems on our side, such calls are free of charge.

Instead of continously spamming me on my offline skype account, this would have been the more problem solving solution. I'm currently still in Austria on vacation and I'm also not the official technical support, thats my private skype account.

Thanks for the clarification man but you need to inform your team about this task so they can inform me!
    4 days pass no response from your support team or skype, The thing i want is just OS reinstall and for this i lost 4 days.

Why will i disturb you again and again if my server will work fine?
    I am getting delay just because of you and you need to agree this.

• AthylAthyl Member

Well, There support team fixed my all issues on Saturday Night finally!

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2017

Kabeldamagement said: we dont use noc-ps anymore as it's totally insecure (open ntp and such stuff).

You.. what? That are the templates and you do not use the provided ones anyway, that is just stupid.

NOC-PS is fine aside of the pricing, and in use by many that are a large chunk bigger than you with zero issues (like one of the largest Dutch providers in a custom version).

Kabeldamagement said: IPMI Remote Console did not work due to a recent IPMI upgrade which changed the remote console port

Which ILO upgrade was that? I did not see anything for Gen8, Gen9 or G7 in months.

@William said:

Kabeldamagement said: we dont use noc-ps anymore as it's totally insecure (open ntp and such stuff).

You.. what? That are the templates and you do not use the provided ones anyway, that is just stupid.

NOC-PS is fine aside of the pricing, and in use by many that are a large chunk bigger than you with zero issues (like one of the largest Dutch providers in a custom version).

Sure and a totally outdated linux distribution with a open ntp server, ready for amplification attacks is secure in your mind? ;) - Thats not the sort of security I expect from a os deployment solution, no one knows other security holes (as long as it's not audited) and if it starts that bad, it should not run in a production environment, otherwise you cant be sure that your business will exist tomorrow, due to someone reinstalling all your servers.

• FalzoFalzo Member

Kabeldamagement said: otherwise you cant be sure that your business will exist tomorrow, due to someone reinstalling all your servers

I think @Athyl would have been glad if someone had reinstalled his server ^^

(sorry, no offence meant, couldn't resist :-P)

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @Athyl Seems to me like one man operation and as such he is expensive.

Ditch that server and go for something more cost efficient.

@Janevski said:
    @Athyl Seems to me like one man operation and as such he is expensive.

Where's the logic in that ?

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2017

Clouvider said: Where's the logic in that ?

One man operation is cheaper (only on the short run) than having dedicated departments and people.

So basically the provider is cheap and sells his service as premium. That is what i call a rip off.

Wanna charge ~110EUR/hour - then have people working.

In order to not potentially offend someone, just to be polite i'll say - I might be completely wrong.

PS:

From the email posted i got the impression that the provider is "an one man operation".

There is nothing that wrong with one man operations, it all depends on the context.

edited May 2017

@Janevski You are completely wrong ;) - We are four guys currently, not a one man show.

And "Hi, yesterday was a public holiday in my country and I’m still enjoying my holidays in Austria. If you have a urgent problem, contact the other guys in the office via ticket / phone." was still sent via my private skype account (which is not one of our support methods), as clarified before - but I'm sure, you didnt read that, tldr right? :)