Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Vultr do a refund ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Vultr do a refund ?

Comments

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2017

angstrom said: I may be a bit more lenient in that I find the fact that the $2.50 plan isn't currently available not so bad in itself. Presumably, Vultr set a limit on how many $2.50 plans they wanted to sell and they've reached this limit.

No - Vultr wanted to take some air out of Linode's $5 announcement so they followed up with this $2.50 gimmick. They keep it listed on the website to give an impression of high demand and "catch the $5 VPS before it runs out too."

Vultr knew it couldn't compete with a quality announcement on par with the likes of Linode, RamNode and BuyVM so it went lowball.

Really @DaveA is just like the scammer that takes your 100 leva and then says it's 100 extra to take the top off + girlfriend + "everything else". Of course for extra he's offering GFE in addition to what you'd normally expect, but you really didn't want to kiss rather just grab something jiggly up front while you're reaming from behind. That should have cost 100 leva flat - no extra charge.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

jiggawattz said: No - Vultr wanted to take some air out of Linode's $5 announcement so they followed up with this $2.50 gimmick. They keep it listed on the website to give an impression of high demand and "catch the $5 VPS before it runs out too."

Sure, we can call the $2.50 plan a gimmick, but it really was available for a few weeks and probably sold very well, and then Vultr presumably decided that enough was enough.

jiggawattz said: Really @DaveA is just like the hooker [...]

I'm afraid that I can't comment on this.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited May 2017

angstrom said: Sure, we can call the $2.50 plan a gimmick, but it really was available for a few weeks and probably sold very well, and then Vultr presumably decided that enough was enough.

You can do a BuyShared all year long for $5/yr - whenever you want to buy it. They don't "run out" of that offer. (I know that specific comparison is apples to oranges, but stamina is what separates a gimmicky company's gimmick from a Deal.)

jiggawattz said: You can do a BuyShared all year long for $5/yr - whenever you want to buy it. They don't "run out" of that offer. (I know that specific comparison is apples to oranges, but stamina is what separates a gimmicky company's gimmick from a Deal.)

I don't think that we disagree: gimmick, yes.

(Your specific comparison is indeed apples to oranges, but what the heck ... not to mention that there's a general surplus of attractively priced shared hosting around, whereas $2.50 KVM VPSes with Vultr's features are much rarer.)

• whereas $2.50 KVM VPSes with Vultr's features are much rarer.)

So rare - it doesn't even exist!

Thanked by 1netomx

jiggawattz said: So rare - it doesn't even exist!

:-)

At least you seem to have a sense of humor.

Thanked by 2jiggawatt Tom
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@rm_ said:
    This is open deceit and bait-and-switch right there. And this is going on for weeks like there's no issue whatsoever.

Vultr ran a sale. You didn't get one. And now you're extremely bitter and butt hurt. We got it.

jiggawattz said: ou can do a BuyShared all year long for $5/yr - whenever you want to buy it. They don't "run out" of that offer.

Man, you couldn't pick a worse example here. BuyVM ran out of stock all the time for years. People had to wait, and BuyVM never took pre orders, so people had to get up at 2am if they wanted a server. Heck, there were near riots when @Francisco didn't release stock on time. I can't think of a more direct example of someone "running out" of an offer than BuyVM, yet here you are holding them up as the paragons of inventory consistency...

jiggawattz said: Vultr knew it couldn't compete with a quality announcement on par with the likes of Linode, RamNode and BuyVM so it went lowball.

Linode...yeah, how was Tokyo looking for stock over the last few years...? Yeah, they have some now, but you would have waited all of 2016 and maybe all of 2015 as I recall.

But more to the point...

So what? OMG Vultr ran a promotion and ran out of stock. OMG! Are you really arguing that a provider is required to fill unlimited orders on any offer? That no promos or sales are allowed?

I have yet to read any comments here about how Vultr is a scam, @DaveA is a hooker, etc. that don't boil down to "I'm mad I didn't get a $2.50 VPS".

The hilarious part is that there are tons of $2.50/month or cheaper VPSes out there, so people who are pelting the internet with their butthurtery are essentially shouting: "Vultr is a great host! That's why I'm mad I didn't get one!" Otherwise, why do you care? Go buy from a zillion others.

BTW, I am a DO, Vultr, and BuyVM customer.

Thanked by 2angstrom jiggawatt
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

raindog308 said: Vultr ran a sale. You didn't get one. And now you're extremely bitter and butt hurt. We got it.

It is not, and was not marked anywhere as a time limited sale.

It is not marked in any way that the sale (or not) has ended, until you sign up and pay.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt

rm_ said: It is not, and was not marked anywhere as a time limited sale.

My God. The betrayal!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Forcing someone to deposit money in order to find out the plan they want isn't available is a poor customer experience, but that's all it is. They're honouring refund requests, and no-one's dead, so let's stop going on and on about it, for fucks sake.

@Nekki said:
    Forcing someone to deposit money in order to find out the plan they want isn't available is a poor customer experience, but that's all it is. They're honouring refund requests, and no-one's dead, so let's stop going on and on about it, for fucks sake.

But we're just trying to find ways to fill the void left by @WSS's absence!

Thanked by 2jiggawatt netomx
  • BG32BG32 Member

Seems to only be mods/admins on vultrs side hmmmmmmm

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • williewillie Member

raindog308 said: Vultr ran a sale

It wasn't a sale (it was/is advertised as a regular offer) and it's not something they "ran" (as in: past tense). They are still advertising it now. BuyVM and others have had stuff out of stock all the time, but they were transparent about what was in stock and what was not. There was even a site doesbuyvmhavestock.com (gone now) that tracked what was available. There's something like that (check.ovh) for OVH now. With Vultr it's pure bait and switch.

Thanked by 2BG32 jiggawatt

BG32 said: Seems to only be mods/admins on vultrs side hmmmmmmm

If @DaveA turned free tricks for you, you'd be on his side, too!

Though only @jarland gets the full GFE.

• drakuladrakula Member
    edited May 2017

Chasing the $2.5 unicorn.

My gut tells me soon vultr will provide the $2.5 but the location only available in US just to make their point that they provide the $2.5 plan and you may not be able to ask refund just because it's not located in the country that you want.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@angstrom said:
    they don't refund funds (correct me if I'm wrong).

Prefer not to, not to say that I can't or won't.

• Disclosure: I snagged two (2) of the $2.50 Vultrs during that time-limited sale, and I still have one.

raindog308 said: So what? OMG Vultr ran a promotion and ran out of stock. OMG! Are you really arguing that a provider is required to fill unlimited orders on any offer? That no promos or sales are allowed?

My <3 really goes out to @DaveA right now. Obviously times are tough at Vultr right now if they need to mislead prospective $2.50/mo clients to get some signups and badly need deposits. It's certainly tough to put so much hard work into a company only to be facing imminent deadpool.

If @DaveA is reading this right now - know that I don't make any judgements about the choices you make and the lifestyle you live. If Vultr spectacularly deadpools, PM me and I will put in a good reference for you at my company.

<3 <3 <3

jiggawattz said: imminent deadpool

So in my mind "imminent" would mean "next few months".

Do you really think Vultr will deadpool by December 31, 2017?

When the $2.50 plan returns, I suspect that the naysayers will be the first in line to get it.

edited May 2017

@angstrom said:
    When the $2.50 plan returns, I suspect that the naysayers will be the first in line to get it.

This almost has a biblical ring to it, the return of the $2.50 plan as akin to the Second Coming ...

• raindog308 said: Do you really think Vultr will deadpool by December 31, 2017?

Doubtful. I'm sure they have at least 10 months runway - so certainly no deadpool before February/March 2018.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • williewillie Member

I had 3 or 4 of the $2.50 servers at different times. I just spun them up when I had something to do, then down afterwards. Doing the same with $5 ones isn't different, I just don't like the way they're acting and I have some nice DO credit via Jarland, so I'm using DO for everything like that now. Vultr has around $4.50 of the $5 that I paid them and I'm not worried about it, I'll probably use it up over time, like when I need a VM in a weird location for something.

• Quick Update not sure if bug or not but @DaveA should be able to confirm. The $2.50 plan is available in New Jersey and Miami :)

Thanked by 1angstrom

GenjiSwitchPls said: The $2.50 plan is available in New Jersey and Miami :)

Thanked by 2GenjiSwitchPls Fries
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

drakula said: My gut tells me soon vultr will provide the $2.5 but the location only available in US just to make their point that they provide the $2.5 plan and you may not be able to ask refund just because it's not located in the country that you want.

So, it goes EXACTLY as predicted.

• williewillie Member

GenjiSwitchPls said: The $2.50 plan is available in New Jersey and Miami :)

I just spun one up in NJ and it seems to work.

@GenjiSwitchPls said: The $2.50 plan is available in New Jersey and Miami :)

Let's buy them all up so that everyone can complain again about how dishonest Vultr is!

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

Its an amazing deal for $2.50 I've snapped up a couple, wish Chicago was one of the options but I'll take NJ&Miami

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2017

I grabbed a couple. One less super needy customer generating almost no profit for them. Contrary to what anyone would expect, I like vultr :)

I just never run production on RAID0 :P

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • williewillie Member

I spun one up (above) just to see if it worked, then spun it down a few minutes later since I have plenty of vps already. Why does everyone think a $2.50, 512MB vps from them is so amazing? They are plentiful here on LET including from good vendors if you pay monthly, and if you only want a server for a few hours $2.50 = $5 more or less. I have a promo 2GB VPS-SSD-1 from OVH for $1.75 (50% off usual $3.50), You can get a whole ARM dedicated server from Online for 3 euro/month, etc.

I like Vultr for the most part too, but this $2.50 shenanigan (even though they're in a couple of locations at the moment) is still bogus.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt