Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Vultr do a refund ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Vultr do a refund ?

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2017

@willie said:

rm_ said: "Does Vultr use RAID" debacle

Can someone give me a quick rundown of that? Do they really not use raid?!

Here is at least a clearly evasive answer:

https://discuss.vultr.com/discussion/773/are-vultr-compute-instances-vci-raid

By comparison, the following thread is more frustrating:

https://discuss.vultr.com/discussion/273/storage-safety-raid

In short, Vultr keeps this a secret.

But, to be fair, is every other provider so open about this?

Thanked by 1willie
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

@angstrom said:

If they have nothing to hide, always (it's usually even a marketing point if it's RAID10).

• sinsin Member

Frankly I don't care whether VULTR uses RAID or not, every machine I have had with them has been rock solid with damn good uptime and snapshots work great. I always keep multiple backups stored remotely for all of my servers and would never rely on a providers storage,backup, or whatever.

I agree with others on the $2.50 thing but it is what it is.

• I don't know if a non-RAID SSD system is as crazy as a non-RAID HDD system (for a live server, not backup). Maybe SSD's don't fail as often. I know some providers openly offer non-RAID SSD plans, but they don't wiggle around about it, they tell you up front that it's non-RAID. I'm cool with that as long as I know what I'm getting.

• J1021J1021 Member

I heard that @DaveA guy is awesome.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@kcaj said:
    I heard that @DaveA guy is awesome.

Maybe, but who would listen to you?

Thanked by 4Lee netomx Pwner yomero
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2017

@angstrom said:

I've only dealt one that isn't, personally. I've heard people at a company I used to work at say that it should be kept a secret, and calmly told them to suck it, and that I was going to tell the customer anyway.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • DaveADaveA Member

Of course Vultr offers refunds for any reason no questions asked, although we'd love for you to stick around. Bitcoin is not eligible for refund at this time.

Thanked by 2J1021 tux

@jarland said:

@angstrom said:

I've only dealt one that isn't, personally. I've heard people at a company I used to work at say that it should be kept a secret, and calmly told them to suck it, and that I was going to tell the customer anyway.

Hostgator? ;-)

Back to Vultr: I guess that they've simply decided to remain secretive about their hardware. Although I don't fully understand the reasoning behind this decision, the decision itself doesn't really bother me.

Thanked by 2jar brueggus
  • quickquick Member

I will send you the refund after my lunch

Thanked by 1BG32
  • williewillie Member

DaveA said: we'd love for you to stick around

Your company would look much better if you took the $2.50 instances off the pricing page until (if ever) they become available again.

Thanked by 2rm_ BG32

@angstrom said:

@jarland said:

@angstrom said:

Hostgator? ;-)

Back to Vultr: I guess that they've simply decided to remain secretive about their hardware. Although I don't fully understand the reasoning behind this decision, the decision itself doesn't really bother me.

Boom. If you like lying to customers, I'm a really bad hire ;)

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • iJayceiJayce Member

I am in the same boat, I deposited some bucks to get the $2.5 package which was clearly mentioned in the pricing page, but it wasn't available when I tried to deploy a VM, I opened a request to reverse the transaction and now I moved to DigitalOcean.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • bapbap Member

@willie said:

DaveA said: we'd love for you to stick around

Your company would look much better if you took the $2.50 instances off the pricing page until (if ever) they become available again.

Do you have just ask their marketing div to took off the tempting promo?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

iJayce said: I deposited some bucks to get the $2.5 package which was clearly mentioned in the pricing page, but it wasn't available when I tried to deploy a VM, I opened a request to reverse the transaction and now I moved to DigitalOcean.

...and paid $5.

Thanked by 2Lee tux
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@raindog308 said: ...and paid $5.

But I feel good about saying I went with their competitor instead!

• @angstrom said:

@willie said:

Not all but huge huge props to @MCHPhill who does openly state he uses RAID0 and that it is not his responsibility for data loss.

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@angstrom said:

@willie said:

Not all but huge huge props to @MCHPhill who does openly state he uses RAID0 and that it is not his responsibility for data loss.

True. (But, historically, there was an "incident" before he began to state this so openly.)

• @angstrom said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@angstrom said:

@willie said:

True. (But, historically, there was an "incident" before he began to state this so openly.)

He did previously state it. Just not in bold like he does now. I was aware of raid 0 and I was fine with it

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2017

raindog308 said: ...and paid $5.

Guess what, some people have principles, and if they get deceived by the lying $2.5 promotion of Vultr, they will not be as happy to pay $5 with Vultr, but will choose to go with any competitor even for the same $5, just to not use Vultr which left such a terrible first impression.

• Vultr Refunded me, no questions asked. so it is resolved.

Thanks

• iJayceiJayce Member
    edited May 2017

@Ishaq said:

@raindog308 said: ...and paid $5.

But I feel good about saying I went with their competitor instead!

Are you being sarcastic? because if so, I actually got the small $5 plan on DO.

Edit:

I've got the refund as well.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@iJayce said: I actually got the small $5 plan on DO.

That was my point exactly. DO don't offer a $2.5 plan.

• iJayceiJayce Member

@Ishaq I know, at least they're honest about their plans.

Thanked by 3rm_ Frecyboy BG32
    edited May 2017

As much as I'd love to smile and nod while on the receiving end of complements while the negativity goes toward someone who considers themselves to be a competitor (I'm sorry my brain just doesn't think competition, focus on your product and not someone else's), even I have to say give the guys a break. The $2.50 plan is obviously a cool thing and filled a gap, but understandable that it sold out. I'm sure they'll have more available.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2017

jarland said: understandable that it sold out.

Point is that it is not shown as sold out until you sign up and pay. And while for some refunds get granted, they hope that others will stay and choose the $5 plan "for now" instead.

jarland said: I'm sure they'll have more available.

...while they say the plan is not expected to return until "weeks or months" later.

This is open deceit and bait-and-switch right there. And this is going on for weeks like there's no issue whatsoever.

• williewillie Member

Yep, $2.50 plan still on pricing page, still unavailable everywhere. I have only $5 paid into them which is enough to spin up an instance for a few hours now and then, which is occasionally useful. So the money in my case isn't enough to matter. It still makes the company look bad though.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

How about we get DO to follow Vultr's lead and make 1GB of memory available at the $5 price point.

edited May 2017

@willie said:
    Yep, $2.50 plan still on pricing page, still unavailable everywhere. I have only $5 paid into them which is enough to spin up an instance for a few hours now and then, which is occasionally useful. So the money in my case isn't enough to matter. It still makes the company look bad though.

I may be a bit more lenient in that I find the fact that the $2.50 plan isn't currently available not so bad in itself. Presumably, Vultr set a limit on how many $2.50 plans they wanted to sell and they've reached this limit.

What I find less tolerable is that you have to both register and (so I'm told) deposit funds in order to see that the $2.50 plan isn't available. The only thing that counterbalances this is that Vultr apparently refunds your funds if you ask, so you can change your mind after seeing that the $2.50 plan isn't available. But in this case, it does seem like wasted energy on both sides (deposit funds, write ticket, answer ticket, refund funds).

As for DO, it seems to be riding high by comparison, but DO has never had a $2.50 plan to begin with, not to mention that their pricing is higher or that they don't refund funds (correct me if I'm wrong).

Just trying to keep things in perspective ... :-)

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

Is Linode still sold out of $5 plans? they put them out of stock but kept them on the pricing page too.