Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you use MXroute? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you use MXroute?

Comments

• @Nekki said:

@BlazeMuis said:
    @jarland should create an awesome webmail frontend, not just roundcube or horde etc.

So you only want to pay $5/year for his service, but you also want him to produce a bespoke mail frontend?

If he has the time for it, why not? :P

• We have been using MXroute for a few years and the service has been very good. Recently moved one account to the London server and very happy with the service. Would recommend it all day long.

• @BlazeMuis said:
    @jarland should create an awesome webmail frontend, not just roundcube or horde etc.

Or just add Rainloop: https://www.rainloop.net/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Setsura said: How feasible would a usage based plan be @Jarland? Something like where there is a minimum deposit(10 dollars?) and your system charges people by the actual usage, I think Lunanode(who I like to shill) does this. Though I suppose this kind of thing is potentially hard to implement and even if you did it cuts into the profits of people who buy a large annual plan and barely use any of it.

Very difficult to implement because I'd want to factor in both incoming and outgoing email into the billing, which makes customers uneasy because inbound is something they can't control. Yet, a customer receiving 1,000 emails per minute that they absolutely want while getting billed at a rate of $0.05 because they use POP3 to download immediately after, would be devastating to infrastructure. You'd have to at least do a tiered system to ensure ability to meet promises made, I think. Outgoing is worse because it has a definable cost that right now I'm simply able to eat by volume.

willie said: I understand Jarland has stuff in the works to upgrade both of these at some point

I'd like to build out a completely new front-end that utilizes the WHM API so that the backend remains the same, solid, constantly updated beast that it is. But I'd like the front-end to be more appropriate for the product. My go-to example is always subdomains, adding a subdomain for every addon domain is weird and it doesn't belong as a customer-facing function.

@BlazeMuis said:

I'm working toward this but using Roundcube as the base. I think Roundcube is more than capable of handling this, it just needs some love in the form of themes, plugins, etc. My initial work is here, but the first goal with it is merging the servers into one webmail:

https://mail.mxroute.io

End game for this first goal is that server is selected by domain name used in the username field, built from a dynamically updated list that combines both /etc/userdomains and weighs it against MX records (as some domains may exist on more than one server). Right now it's just a server selection box to start on the concept.

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis

@jgillich said:

@BlazeMuis said:

That's an option to consider as well. It's a little more prepared for "per domain IMAP/SMTP" out of the box than Roundcube.

• jarland said: That's an option to consider as well. It's a little more prepared for "per domain IMAP/SMTP" out of the box than Roundcube.

A while back I looked into theming Roundcube and was rather disappointed, parts of the interface are generated in code and not via templates. I think Rainloop is the way to go.

Thanked by 1jar
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: So you only want to pay $5/year for his service, but you also want him to produce a bespoke mail frontend?

No, I only want to pay $1/year and I want a bespoke mail frontend. Also, 100GB of free personal backup storage and a free .com when I sign up for a year.

And a coupon for a free custom art mail signature.

And an SEO Accelerator button in the control panel.

And mxobjects which will be a highly scalable, 99.9999% availability API object storage thing that I will never use though I pledge to at least look at the pricing.

Start innovating, dammit @jarland !

Thanked by 3jar jcaleb AdamM
  • @jarland said:

Wicked said: I see. If one of my clients got one or more emails marked as spam that could easily result in big losses.

He means incoming. My spam filters are terrible in comparison to Google's. I'm working on it, but I never seem to reach their level.

Give this a shot

End user - http://www.postlayer.com

Provider - http://mxforce.com

It's the same system either way, postlayer is for if someone wants to buy it directly for use themselves where as Mxforce is if a provider such as @jarland wanted to resell it.

Seems to catch most of the crap.

Thanked by 3Yura TWo jar
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@BlazeMuis said:

@Nekki said:

@BlazeMuis said:

So you only want to pay $5/year for his service, but you also want him to produce a bespoke mail frontend?

If he has the time for it, why not? :P

Fucking millenials.

• @jarland said:

@jgillich said:

@BlazeMuis said:

That's an option to consider as well. It's a little more prepared for "per domain IMAP/SMTP" out of the box than Roundcube.

Would it work to set it up on my server and use mxroute configs? On my phone so unable to test.

• @jarland said:
    It's really taken off. Also affiliate payout is up to 20% now and that has generated far more than I ever thought it would.

>
    Good deal. A bog standard, hosted email stack is what the market needed. :)

Does MXRoute happen to have server side filtering? That's the thing that keeps the idea of running my own MX floating to the surface.

@BlazeMuis said:

>

There is talk about turning Thunderbird into a web app now that XUL is deprecated.

@ricardo said:
    Let's put it this way. Would you like to pay a hobbyist ~$20/y to maybe do the things you wish to do, or would you rather several hundred PHD's with a proven product like Gmail to do it for you. That's really the fundamental question. I've nothing against new and upcoming products, but from experience in thei industry, by far and way Google has a superior product, hands down.

Unless they wrote sendmail, postfix, or whatever, I'm not sure what value they're adding.

Gmail is consumer email, it's not industrial strength. Gmail is very good in a very narrow box. Simple email is very good, spam filtering is really good, web interface is okay, and I like how they handle applications with OAuth passwords which never expire. Outside of that, it's a battle. Filtering, madness. Distribution lists are Google Groups. Why? I guess to justify it's existence. Subdomains require a new account, and accounts require new accounts. There is stuff that is more powerful out there.

My business email is Gmail, but the rest of my email is with Dreamhost because it's easier to work with.

• TWoTWo Member

@Wicked said:

Would it work to set it up on my server and use mxroute configs? On my phone so unable to test.

Why not? MXroute offers standard IMAP/SMTP and Rainloop is just a client. But depending on latency between the server you've installed it to and your MXroute's server location you might experience some lags.

flatland_spider said: Gmail is consumer email, it's not industrial strength.

Explain.

I'm curious what is "industrial strength" because there aren't many providers with the network, horsepower, and engineering that Google has, even if we're just talking email. Google bought Postini and integrated its anti-spam, and they've acquired other companies in that space also...so...who is doing email better than Google?

Microsoft is one possible answer but I'm not sure I'd say they're better, just different because of history.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:
    Microsoft is one possible answer but I'm not sure I'd say they're better, just different because of history.

Remember the huge fuckup when they cut over from FreeBSD to NT and had to throw a few hundred thousand at it just so it'd stop shitting?

WSS said: Remember the huge fuckup when they cut over from FreeBSD to NT and had to throw a few hundred thousand at it just so it'd stop shitting?

That was Hotmail...pretty sure Outlook.com/Office 365 has always run on Windows server/Exchange, since MSFT built it from scratch.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

Explain.

I'm curious what is "industrial strength" because there aren't many providers with the network, horsepower, and engineering that Google has, even if we're just talking email. Google bought Postini and integrated its anti-spam, and they've acquired other companies in that space also...so...who is doing email better than Google?

I'm curious about this too... The only thing it could be is block all incoming. That's strong right?

Anyway, Gmail is marketed towards everyone, mum and dads, small business, enterprise, schools even non for profits. I don't know how it could get less consumer grade honestly.

edited April 2017

trewq said: Anyway, Gmail is marketed towards everyone, mum and dads, small business, enterprise, schools even non for profits. I don't know how it could get less consumer grade honestly.

But you could say the same thing about Office 365. Is Office 365 "only" consumer grade?

• WSSWSS Member
    edited April 2017

@raindog308 said:

WSS said: Remember the huge fuckup when they cut over from FreeBSD to NT and had to throw a few hundred thousand at it just so it'd stop shitting?

That was Hotmail...pretty sure Outlook.com/Office 365 has always run on Windows server/Exchange, since MSFT built it from scratch.

@raindog308 said:

trewq said: Anyway, Gmail is marketed towards everyone, mum and dads, small business, enterprise, schools even non for profits. I don't know how it could get less consumer grade honestly.

But you could say the same thing about Office 365. Is Office 365 "only" consumer grade?

Well, yeah?

Wicked said: Would it work to set it up on my server and use mxroute configs? On my phone so unable to test.

Definitely, works great that way :)

flatland_spider said: Does MXRoute happen to have server side filtering? That's the thing that keeps the idea of running my own MX floating to the surface.

We do.

Google Apps is definitely that middle line between enterprise and consumer. It fits both bills. But a lack of control over their filtering does make it not fitting for some enterprise uses. For example, ever tried to run an abuse@ address on Google? It's rough. Guess who filters your spam reports before you get them :)

That's not to say I offer something any more enterprise worthy.

• @raindog308 said:

Please don't remind me of Hotmail. That was a bad era...........

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:

I interviewed for a job back in the day. There was literally one person who did all of the web pages back then, and the complete service sat in one single datacenter in a handful of racks. It was another time.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @WSS said:

@doghouch said:

I interviewed for a job back in the day. There was literally one person who did all of the web pages back then, and the complete service sat in one single datacenter in a handful of racks. It was another time.

I interviewed for a job waaaaaay baaaaaack in ought 2

• @AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

Hotmail was awful though. Spam kept making it into my inbox, and real emails were thrown into Junk. Like, it was terrible. The MSN themed interface was useable at best :(

• WSSWSS Member

@AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

Shit son, this was right out of highschool. We're still talking the late 90s.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @WSS said:

@AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

Shit son, this was right out of highschool. We're still talking the late 90s.

PFFFFTTTTT There was no hotmail when I was edumacated. Wasnt until two years after I gradiated frol skool.z.

• After reading the thread, I`ve become dissappointed with mxroute. For 15$/year, they were unable to compete with Gmail and were not able to write their own custom software for the whole stack specially the front end

• You can't send 10000 mails as a blind copy with Gmail though.

• edited April 2017

@raindog308 said:

Explain.

>

It's all about being an end point. It's about people consuming email, and not consuming a large volume of email, their interface isn't built for it. I like it for end user stuff, and it's spam filter is great. I use it as the email service for my side business, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for people who have simple needs. It's just built on the idea that everything you want to do is a service. Email consumption: Gmail, Distribution Lists: Google Groups, Email Campaigns: Constant Contact, Mailing Lists: Mailchimp, Sending Email: Mailgun. It's narrowly focus. There's nothing wrong with it being narrowly focus, but if you want it to do everything sendmail or postfix does, it's going to disappoint you.

@raindog308 said:

I deal with Office.com/Office365.com at my main job, and yeah, it's different then Gmail. It's more Exchange-ish, because it is Exchange, and they expose quite a few features. I'd rate it a higher then Gmail on its ability to do complex stuff. It really does use all of Outlook's features. The mobile clients are pretty much useless though.

Gmail, Office.com, or self-hosting a standard mail stack each have their problems, and it's just a matter of priorities. If someone would start a company with hosts a standard email stack, that might be a killer idea. :P

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2017

flatland_spider said: I deal with Office.com/Office365.com at my main job

Me, too. And I think it sucks. We do not use complex task, maybe for that kind of usage is more useful. But outlook mail, spreed sheets and the online word are slow as death, buggy and recourse hungry. OK, if you have the last xeon xpu with 8 cores, fast ssd's and 32GB memory maybe the browser will work better, but in most office environments, the terminals to the work seats are not so powerful. A core duo in most of cases with 1-2GB memory (big companies do not update their machines so quickly, if the owner of the seat is not an executive or is working on a critical mission). In such terminal, office365 is almost garbage and kills productivity.
    IMO G-apps are better for the majority of users, and there are also zimbra and zoho, both faster than MS product. But, maybe, it's just me...

• UmairUmair Member

Looks like the topic is going into a different direction.

I just noticed the backup MX record is back for mxroute. Wasn't there some issue with spam/filtering with secondary mx??

@jarland Are you using NDC plugin for this?? (Any secret sauce with it or a standard setup?)

This discussion has been closed.