Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you use MXroute? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would you use MXroute?

Comments

• @tr1cky said:

@quick said:

@Nekki said:

@BlazeMuis said:

telephone said: Now if only @jarland got really drunk and offered a $5/yr plan :).

Would be great! Get drunk please, would signup instantly.

Really, gents? $10/year isn't cheap enough for a fully managed mail service, from someone who you actually trust to treat your mail properly?

I think you need to give your heads a bit of a wobble.

can you share the link?

Don't know if it is London but here is 15GB for 10$/y:
    https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=46

@Jarland give us the answer! I'll get it if it's in London.. Only to get rid of Zoblow.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

BlazeMuis said: @Jarland give us the answer! I'll get it if it's in London.. Only to get rid of Zoblow.

It is in London, I bought it this morning.

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • wjtwjt Member

Just switched from setting up free yandex, which never got to work blocking in/out for 2 days straight to a paid service, which i then found a 10/year coupon still working fine.

• Gerrard8Gerrard8 Member
    edited April 2017

@jarland said:
    Appreciate all the kind words, friends. I can't speak as highly of it as you all do. To me MXroute is a never-ending project, it's never complete and it's never good enough. I have so many images in my head of what it should be. If it keeps growing like it is, it won't matter if I can turn all of that vision into reality. It'll be able to fund the team of people necessary to run with the vision.

Honestly, if I had known MXroute would grow this fast organically with minimal effort on marketing, I probably would have went after investments to compile a dev team.

It's become the go-to email service for people who are tired of DreamHost's poor email quality (seems to be the only thing they don't do well). It's on track to double it's income this year from last year. I can't thank you all enough.

I'll keep trying to make you all proud :)

<3

TAKE MY MONEY!

Edit: Thank you for signing up for MXroute! :)

• telephone said:
    We all know what @jarland does at night with MXroute:

What's in the monitor?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

No. SCAM.

Thanked by 1vedran
  • nepsneps Member

I do use it. It's good.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

I guess it's time to get my idling mxroute package up and running.

• So far so good. Ordered the $15/yr package and already moved 2 domains.

• @tr1cky said:

@quick said:

@Nekki said:

@BlazeMuis said:

telephone said: Now if only @jarland got really drunk and offered a $5/yr plan :).

Would be great! Get drunk please, would signup instantly.

Really, gents? $10/year isn't cheap enough for a fully managed mail service, from someone who you actually trust to treat your mail properly?

I think you need to give your heads a bit of a wobble.

can you share the link?

Don't know if it is London but here is 15GB for 10$/y:
    https://billing.mxroute.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=46

Meh, aint got nothing on my 7.5usd/year for 60gb plan :)

Not that I'm using more than 6mb though.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jarland said: He means incoming. My spam filters are terrible in comparison to Google's. I'm working on it, but I never seem to reach their level.

You should probably bring some more PhDs onto your staff.

jarland said: It's become the go-to email service for people who are tired of DreamHost's poor email quality (seems to be the only thing they don't do well).

No kidding. And apparently they hate hosting email...

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/08/05/27/137229/large-web-host-urges-customers-to-use-gmail

Thanked by 1jar
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@raindog308 said:

jarland said: He means incoming. My spam filters are terrible in comparison to Google's. I'm working on it, but I never seem to reach their level.

You should probably bring some more PhDs onto your staff.

jarland said: It's become the go-to email service for people who are tired of DreamHost's poor email quality (seems to be the only thing they don't do well).

No kidding. And apparently they hate hosting email...

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/08/05/27/137229/large-web-host-urges-customers-to-use-gmail

Just to note that that thread is from May 2008 (but it may still be true that DreamHost doesn't care for email).

• @angstrom said:
    Just to note that that thread is from May 2008 (but it may still be true that DreamHost doesn't care for email).

>

They don't push Gmail as much as they used to, and they've invested in AtMail for their webmail client. They still have integrations which setup GMail automatically.

I use Dreamhost email for testing and mostly low volume accounts, and it works well enough. They haven't had any significant outages that affected me in the last few months.

However, I don't blame them for hating email. Overall, email is a swamp full of poisonous creatures, and @jarland is incredibly brave for starting an email service.

Thanked by 2angstrom jar

angstrom said: Just to note that that thread is from May 2008 (but it may still be true that DreamHost doesn't care for email).

Oh I know but it's indicative of how long they've been not wanting to do mail.

flatland_spider said: Overall, email is a swamp full of poisonous creatures, and @jarland is incredibly brave for starting an email service.

Though @jarland walks through the valley of death, he fears no evil, for he is the baddest motherfucker in the valley. (Loosely paraphrased from Psalm 23)

Thanked by 2jar AuroraZ
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

flatland_spider said: I use Dreamhost email for testing and mostly low volume accounts, and it works well enough. They haven't had any significant outages that affected me in the last few months.

Yeah you can see where I've started to appear in threads on the topics around late last year:

https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-147396-post-189172.html

Then came a blog post about how to migrate:

https://www.sanfranciscofogworks.com/projects/how-to/how-to-migrate-email-from-dreamhost-to-mxroute

It's really taken off. Also affiliate payout is up to 20% now and that has generated far more than I ever thought it would.

• Let's put it this way. Would you like to pay a hobbyist ~$20/y to maybe do the things you wish to do, or would you rather several hundred PHD's with a proven product like Gmail to do it for you. That's really the fundamental question. I've nothing against new and upcoming products, but from experience in thei industry, by far and way Google has a superior product, hands down.

If you want to deliberate over a few dollars a month, by all means.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited April 2017

ricardo said: Google has a superior product

I'll admit this freely.

...except for the fact that they don't strictly reject emails on the basis of failing SPF (hard fail), and bounce it back to the spoofed senders (backscatter). Their product is superior, and I've been admitting that from the beginning, but I've recently adopted the belief that they are also incompetent because of that one single thing. Mostly because I'm having to deal with the fallout of it. It's either an indirect attack to other mail services or it's incompetence, but it can only be one.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • @jarland, I get where you're coming from.

Realistically (in my opinion), Google is going to react to the real world of email in a more proactive and accurate way than anyone else. Their product was several paradigms above anything else when it came out.

The major selling point of MXROUTE or similar is simply that it isn't Google.

Thanked by 1jar
  • UmairUmair Member

@jarland said:

Best outbound delivery quality that money can buy IMO. MailChannels all the way :)

Are you using them for outgoing email delivery ? bit confused with your reply.

• Umair said: Are you using them for outgoing email delivery ? bit confused with your reply.

Yeah outgoing is going through mailchannels. (from time to time it went through other providers though).

Works great!

• ricardo said: would you rather several hundred PHD's with a proven product like Gmail to do it for you.

Google doesn't have 100 PhDs working on the Gmail product. I doubt they even have 50 people dedicated to the product - and probably no more than 1 or 2 with PhDs.

@jarland 's stack is actively maintained: Postfix, amavisd, dovecot, RoundCube, cPanel etc. Sure it might be a part-time gig for him now, but when Digital Ocean succumbs to cost-cutting pressures and moves his job to the Bangalore office, MXroute will receive full time attention I'm sure :)

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited April 2017

@jarland said:

ricardo said: Google has a superior product

I'll admit this freely.

...except for the fact that they don't strictly reject emails on the basis of failing SPF (hard fail), and bounce it back to the spoofed senders (backscatter). Their product is superior, and I've been admitting that from the beginning, but I've recently adopted the belief that they are also incompetent because of that one single thing. Mostly because I'm having to deal with the fallout of it. It's either an indirect attack to other mail services or it's incompetence, but it can only be one.

Google doesn't support subdomain's as a catchall through any way I've been able to find, which to me is one of the larger reasons to use MXroute. My intended use there is to make something like *@mail.example.com where * can be the site I'm signing up at so I can more easily find who is selling/leaking (this pisses me off to no end) my fucking email. Honestly such a simple feature and I don't believe many(if any) of the paid services besides MXroute let you do this. You should considering touting this as a feature or something @Jarland, because it is certainly useful and something you have going for you over Google.

Thanked by 2jar flatland_spider

ricardo said: Let's put it this way. Would you like to pay a hobbyist ~$20/y to maybe do the things you wish to do, or would you rather several hundred PHD's with a proven product like Gmail to do it for you. That's really the fundamental question. I've nothing against new and upcoming products, but from experience in thei industry, by far and way Google has a superior product, hands down.

If you want to deliberate over a few dollars a month, by all means.

I'm not sure I agree with your points, or at least I might phrase them differently.

"A few dollars a month" is not accurate. 10 people on Gmail is $600/year. Those same 10 on mxroute could be $20. If I'm running a business, maybe the $600 is worth it. If it's my model train club, maybe $20 is a better fit. People can trade off cost vs. reliability and there's nothing wrong with that.

"Google has a superior product". Fair enough, but Google has far poorer support. Has anyone ever opened a ticket with Google? I suppose if you're a big customer they give you a rep, etc. but for Joe Small, you'll get personal responses from mxroute support and won't from Google.

I use both Gmail and mxroute for different purposes.

Thanked by 2jar Umair
  • I might consider if @jarland offers an Abu Dhabi location.

@AuroraZ said:
    I might consider if @jarland offers an Abu Dhabi location.

An MXroute thread is never complete without that :P

• WSSWSS Member

He shoulda taken a right vps in albaquerque

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited April 2017

How feasible would a usage based plan be @Jarland? Something like where there is a minimum deposit(10 dollars?) and your system charges people by the actual usage, I think Lunanode(who I like to shill) does this. Though I suppose this kind of thing is potentially hard to implement and even if you did it cuts into the profits of people who buy a large annual plan and barely use any of it.

Edit:

@AuroraZ said:
    I might consider if @jarland offers an Abu Dhabi location.

While we are requesting dumb shit, I'd like a South Africa location too thanks.

• My main personal email is still with Fastmail which I've been with for years. I've used Gmail at work and I frankly like Fastmail better. The web client does about the same stuff, but there's no ads etc. It's on the expensive side though, especially if you want multiple accounts.

I started using MXRoute more recently and I'm happy with it and it's far more affordable than Fastmail. The main function of mail sending and delivery works great. I'd have to say that Mxroute's current webmail clients (roundcube and similar) and admin panel (cpanel) are both on the primitive side compared to Gmail/Fastmail, but I understand Jarland has stuff in the works to upgrade both of these at some point.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited April 2017

@jarland should create an awesome webmail frontend, not just roundcube or horde etc.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@BlazeMuis said:
    @jarland should create an awesome webmail frontend, not just roundcube or horde etc.

So you only want to pay $5/year for his service, but you also want him to produce a bespoke mail frontend?

This discussion has been closed.