Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS hacked - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS hacked

Comments

• Two of three down.

• pubcrawler special in Chicago: down
    • 128MB special in Los Angeles: down
    • 2GBYR in Los Angeles: still up
  • I have 3 of the birthday specials, my LA is down for sure and the other two I am not sure about as I have lost the IPs to them and can't login to check :P

I'd also hate to be SolusVM right now.

• @zulualpha said:
    I'm new to having a VPS and have a few sites on my CVPS server. Is this something CVPS can sort out quickly and get everyone's servers back up or is it likely to take them days to sort out & is everyone's data gone? I'm not well versed in the technical side of things, so I don't know if I should be using my local backups and searching for a new host right now, or if this is something they'll be able to recover from (with our data intact)?

If you can still access your VPS I'd advise you to download your files immediately if you don't have an offsite backup

• seikanseikan Member

@ihatetonyy Not much to worry about, I got backup :)

For your information one VPS at "Los Angeles VPS3" node is under pressure and likely going down any time. Another VPS at "Chicago VPS52" is healthy and running smooth.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Shut the solusvm masters down completely to avoid being hit, this is just messed up.

Any word from SolusLabs yet?

• EvoEvo Member

Unfortunately, there's the possibility that their SolusVM was hacked with the same centralbackup.php exploit, but the intruder delayed the "attack".

The same could've happened with a lot more providers, and the hackers to just wait for the right moment to wipe out the nodes.

Also, even with SolusVM shut down, what is the possibility that the nodes were already compromised ?

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited June 2013

@Evo said:
    Also, even with SolusVM shut down, what is the possibility that the nodes were already compromised ?

Didn't the exploit from a few days ago allow them to run any command on the nodes?

If this one did, too, it's excessively, blindingly high, if they were malicious enough to get a way into each one of the nodes.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

That is an interesting question...

At first I thought about the same thing, that the attacker planted the exploit and acted later.
    After this is sorted one way or the other (the exploits go out or there is a conclusion there are none), everyone should do a clean reinstall of solus master machine.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Zen tell him to GTFO, that's probably one client you don't want anyway.

• rds100rds100 Member

By the way providers that shutdown their SolusVM should proably also set their stock to zero, because some customers might try to order and imagine the anger when the VPS can't be provisioned.

• Eh, if the provider has it set for manual review, (which is usually smart), the server won't try to provision until accepted.

• @Jack said:
    I told Martin to null there solus and linked this thread so I guess Martin got to the box as they got 50% through.

>

no point tagging Chris on here as he is banned so @CVPS_Kevin will have to do the responses...

>

Or maybe @jbiloh / @liam / @infinity we should have Chris unbanned for today so he can respond??

Let's let @CVPS_Adam do the talking.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

I honestly hope that @CVPS_Chris has his ban removed as soon as possible, just so that he can keep people up to date with what's happening. Personally I think the importance of clients being up to date and aware with what is going on is more important than a silly ban at the moment (plus I believe Chris requested to be banned?). Is this likely to happen at all @Liam?

• EvoEvo Member

What I can say, is that one line of code is collapsing an entire market segment.

• HyperVM anyone?

• johnjohn Member

@Magiobiwan, lol, BlueVM is like the only company that's made HyperVM work for them.

• Yes, and it works quite nicely too. And hasn't been hacked. cough Unlike SolusVM. cough

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Magiobiwan said:
    Yes, and it works quite nicely too. And hasn't been hacked. cough Unlike SolusVM. cough

Did you ever read the big hack many years ago? There was like 10 - 20 exploits released at once that allowed complete root of everything. They never bothered patching them during the "inform the vendor" period.

Francisco

• @liamwithers said:
    I honestly hope that CVPS_Chris has his ban removed as soon as possible, just so that he can keep people up to date with what's happening. Personally I think the importance of clients being up to date and aware with what is going on is more important than a silly ban at the moment (plus I believe Chris requested to be banned?). Is this likely to happen at all Liam?

Per @Jack's request I proposed this to Liam and he told us to let @CVPS_Adam do the talking.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

We've also taken down our Solus panel. If anybody needs any actions done, just contact us via a ticket.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Zen said:
    Well Francisco, is it time to release Stallion v1? ;) It would earn you some serious cookie points since everyone is currently going through this SolusVM ordeal and I'm sure not a single host wants to use SolusVM right now.

Nope, sorry. I'd have to build a new frontend, etc.

Francisco

• EvoEvo Member

@Magiobiwan said:
    HyperVM anyone?

I've always liked the old HyperVM - seems that it still have more features than SolusVM and is free.

I've heard rumors that it does have vulnerabilities too, even the lastest version, but the software is open source, you can always take a look and change what you do not like.

• @Francisco My understanding is that we've patched said exploits. Otherwise we wouldn't be running HyperVM. As for the VPS Host that had been hacked, the CEO used the same password for ALL his node's root passwords, and for his WHT account. WHT account got cracked, password unhashed, and... nodes wiped.

• EvoEvo Member

@john said:
    Magiobiwan, lol, BlueVM is like the only company that's made HyperVM work for them.

No it is not. DMEhosting is using HyperVM as well.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@mpkossen said:
    Per Jack's request I proposed this to Liam and he told us to let CVPS_Adam do the talking.

Ok, thanks for the info.

• HyperVM is nice though. It has this nice button to migrate a VPS easily and stuff. Unlike SolusVM. And it gives nice, descriptive (VERY descriptive) error messages if/when a VPS doesn't want to boot.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:
    By the way providers that shutdown their SolusVM should proably also set their stock to zero, because some customers might try to order and imagine the anger when the VPS can't be provisioned.

Did that straight after shutting down Solus. I'm glad I remembered to remove the plan from my sig as well.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Liam said:
    Further to mpkossens's statement, I'm trying to ascertain why Chris was banned by chief, before we consider that.

Do we still have the "chief" excuse? Who is this mythical creature?

• laaevlaaev Member

We had patched the centralbackup.php almost immediately on Sunday morning, and per a post on LEB ( http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/solusvm-vulnerability/#comment-121070 ) - there may be more problems with SolusVM. We've been told that other code besides the originally exploited centralbackup.php also utilizes the PHP exec function, and I personally do not believe it is safe as of right now for any provider to have their SolusVM install on right now until we have a better understanding of things. SolusVM's management staff are engaged and working closely with us.

Further updates will be posted shortly as we work through this ordeal.

• BradNDBradND Member

@CVPS_Adam I'm not sure anyone cares about you being hacked, why did you lie about being kevin?