Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS hacked - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS hacked

Comments

• We pulled our Solus too. If anyone requires any assistance with their VPS Container they can contact support and we'll take care of you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

it seems that guy that posted the warning before means business.
    It does look like he was right and soluslabs dont care.
    I really hope it is not so, it would be really-really sad.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited June 2013

@ihatetonyy said:
    In Chicago, not sure what node:

I'm also getting some weird error now when i try to login

-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)

• @BradND said:
    Pulled our solus, seriously suggest everyone else does also

Done the same.

Wouldn't take the comments light hearted like these right now as it's all possible:
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/solusvm-vulnerability/#comment-121070

• I just pulled BlueVM's SolusVM down as well. Open a ticket if you need anything done on your KVM.

Yes, did too, shut down the machine just to make sure this is not a backdoor left by someone using the old exploit, checked before but you can never be sure, if the 3 new exploits are jokes, we will just reinstall, but so far looks grim.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

This is why we can't have nice things.

• DavidxDavidx Member

@Maounique said:
    Yes, did too, shut down the machine just to make sure this is not a backdoor left by someone using the old exploit, checked before but you can never be sure, if the 3 new exploits are jokes, we will just reinstall, but so far looks grim.

Well crap. I was going to setup everything nicely on my overzold box today.. screw that I suppose. lol Better than a compromised system I guess..

• blackblack Member

My container is responding to pings but I can't access SSH or anything. Good times.

• Thanks everyone for the info.I have also shutdown the vps control panel until further details available.Anyone who needs help can email our support

@David_P said:
    Well crap. I was going to setup everything nicely on my overzold box today.. screw that I suppose. lol Better than a compromised system I guess..

I can still reboot it or whatever, billing panels are up (at least until some exploits for whmcs and hostbill are released...)

@jarland said:
    This is why we can't have nice things.

I feel for you buddy... Really bad luck... You jumped from bad to worse.

• johnjohn Member
    edited June 2013

We've also taken our SolusVM offline now. Better safe than sorry.

• nutjobnutjob Member
    edited June 2013

Looks like people are panicing, probably a good thing:

Hello nutjob,

Our VPS Control Panel has been pulled offline. If you require any assistance with your VPS, please contact our support department and we will take care of you.

Our VPS Control Panel is a product called SolusVM developed by SolusLabs. On 6/16/2013, SolusVM had a 0day exploit that enabled malicious users to potentially gain administrative control. We were not affected by this exploit as we patched it before it became widespread and people attempted it. It has come to our recent attention that more 0day exploits may exist in SolusVM. As a precautionary measure, we are taking our SolusVM installation offline.

To clarify, there are not any current issues or exploits affecting us, this is only a precautionary measure. We will send another email out once we have confirmed there are not potential exploits and the VPS Control Panel is back online.

Regards,
    SSDVirt

Yet to hear from CVPS though...

• BradNDBradND Member

You know what they say... Better safe then sorry

I am paniced as hell, cant do anthing except looking on various forums for more info.

• Better safe than compromised, DB Dumped, and nodes-wiped.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

Versatile IT's SolusVM is now shutdown. Anything you need can be done via support ticket. Much prefer an inconvenience than having data compromised.

• nutjobnutjob Member

I'm watching each of my providers go, one by one. They're dropping like flies.

• At least they're PURPOSEFULLY taking SolusVM down. Not having it taken down by exploit.

• nutjobnutjob Member

@Magiobiwan said:
    At least they're PURPOSEFULLY taking SolusVM down. Not having it taken down by exploit.

What's the difference, the terrorists are winning.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

@joodle said:
    I'm also getting some weird error now when i try to login

-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)

I am logged in to one of my VPS's and this is what I'm getting:

root@xxxxxxxx:~# reboot

-bash: /sbin/reboot: cannot execute binary file
    Segmentation fault

root@xxxxxxxx:~# df -h
    -bash: df: command not found

root@xxxxxxxx:~# free -m
    Segmentation fault

root@xxxxxxxx::~# service php5-fpm restart
    Segmentation fault

root@xxxxxxxx:~# uptime
    Segmentation fault

root@xxxxxxxx:~# rm -rf test
    Segmentation fault

• BradNDBradND Member

@nutjob your name fits suitably.... :)

• seikanseikan Member

OMG! This is 2nd times CVPS get hacked since I became their customer..

• zulualphazulualpha Member
    edited June 2013

I'm new to having a VPS and have a few sites on my CVPS server. Is this something CVPS can sort out quickly and get everyone's servers back up or is it likely to take them days to sort out & is everyone's data gone? I'm not well versed in the technical side of things, so I don't know if I should be using my local backups and searching for a new host right now, or if this is something they'll be able to recover from (with our data intact)?

• seikanseikan Member

My VPS is under high load and pretty slow now.. Wondering what is happening at the server node.

• One down and one up.... (this will down soon) ;(

• @seikan said:
    My VPS is under high load and pretty slow now.. Wondering what is happening at the server node.

One server of mine already went down after same symptoms. If you have any un-backuped data:

edited June 2013

People, I know you are angry and worried but please:

1. It is not CVPS fault as it looks like right now;

2. It is not that other providers are going down, the nodes are still up and VPSes on them (at least here) and any sane provider locks the access to the IP of the solusvm master installation. Therefore it is unlikely the nodes will need to go down. There is the inconvenience of not having the panel to do stuff, but still it is far from providers "dropping".

3. Almost everyone is on it right now, so if you need some operation like a reboot, open a ticket, it sucks, I know, but there is no alternative for any sane person.

• At least 1 of the 3 VMs I have with them is down. I'd hate to be Chris right now.