Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS hacked - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS hacked

167891012»

Comments

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited June 2013

@MrObvious said:
    Random thought: how are you checking to see if your VPS is up?

2/3 of mine are online, the thrid is kinda up, Serial Console only looks like i only have lan access from the ifconfig command. hopefully it's p soon.

-bash-4.1# ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

• VPS that died in Chicago is back up; other one I thought was dead in LA ended up coming back up.

• SpiritSpirit Member

It seems there's bigger problem. I got next response:

At this time virtually all customers are back online; some with all original files in tact and others with new containers.

That's not true of course.

• I got a similar response in my ticket - but they also added:

Right now we only have 2 more nodes to fix, and once that process is completed we are going to begin working through the long list of requests for file restoration from our backups. That process will take 3-4 days before all requests have been fulfilled.

• emgemg Veteran

@Maounique said:
    The hostname thing is a solus feature of the new updates.
    You need a fqdn as a hostname, even at provisioning and the old ones are change to vps.server.com unless you put something else there for defaults.
    So, if you get new provisioning and your old hostname was not fqdn, the new hostname will be something like that :P

I wonder how the owner of "server.com" feels about it. (I looked, and the server.com domain registration is private, at GoDaddy.com.) I sent Solus Labs a note, and suggested that they use "vps.example.com", per RFC 2606.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

@emg said:
    I looked, and the server.com domain registration is private, at GoDaddy.com

The owner of that domain is from Boston and bought it for $770,000 in 2009.

• charlie460charlie460 Member
    edited June 2013

REMOVED.

• lsb_release_alsb_release_a Member
    edited September 2013

Hi,

SolusVM should be avoided IMHO : they seems to be a little incompetent out there.

I gave a try to their control panel. Here is my opinion now about it :

• they told me it's not possible to use KVM at OVH... ...really??? When i asked why they said : because it's complicated. - they did not said we cannot use SolusVM at OVH... ...they said we cannot use KVM. ...this does not make any sense! lol

• i saw solusvm is hosted at OVH. So i wondered why they told me we cannot use KVM at OVH. They replied : we do not use SolusVM on our server. We prefer to host it on a flat dedicated server. WHAT??? if they are not confident into their own "secure" control panel, why should we use it?

• when i asked some support concerning the root password change feature, because i saw it was not working in certain conditions, with some of their templates, they replied : "i am sorry, but you know it's complicated to change the password on a vps", and they ended up the conversation. ...all i asked is why it's not working, and if they could help. COME ON GUYS! lol : every vps control panel - well every good ones - include such feature the instructions are a bit everywhere and it works everywhere : http://www.racksrv.com/portal/knowledgebase/33/Reset-forgotten-root-password-with-Centos.html there are other instructions everywhere for other systems.

My impression is they don't know what they do.

Also : while i was wasting my time with their support, i saw they don't offer real support : they just ask questions for the sake of asking questions... ...they don't really help when you need it, they just provide quick replies.

Just take a look at this :

http://localhost.re/

See how easy it is to hack into everything from this provider. Now : they do security investigations??? I don't beleive this : theses hacks are probably known in the underground web since a long time. Those ways to compromise a system are so easy than i cannot figure out nobody saw them :P

Also : nobody wondered why their website is offiline like this? They prepare a new version??? really??? So : when i hire a web designer, the web designer will take the website offline to perform testing? really?? They never had time to update their website? Really??

I think theses guys should be out of business.

• @lsb_release_a You're a bit late to the party...3 months late.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

wtf did I just read?

• @Saiku said:
    wtf did I just read?

Someone dug up a grave and it had maggots all over.