Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS hacked - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS hacked

Comments

• @smccloud said:
    I know that if Linode wasn't so expensive I would switch to them.

It wouldn't be Linode if it was cheap :p

• @smccloud said:
    I know that if Linode wasn't so expensive I would switch to them.

I'm assuming Linode's security isn't one of the reasons you'd switch to them since Linode was also hit by a zero-day exploit and had their database compromised 2 months ago...

Yesterday, a group named HTP claimed responsibility for accessing Linode Manager web servers, we believe by exploiting a previously unknown zero-day vulnerability in Adobe’s ColdFusion application server....

As a result of the vulnerability, this group gained access to a web server, parts of our source code, and ultimately, our database....

There were occurrences of Lish passwords in clear text in our database. We have corrected this issue and have invalidated all affected Lish passwords effective immediately. ...

full security alert https://blog.linode.com/2013/04/16/security-incident-update/

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited June 2013

@DomainBop that triggered a Password reset. plus ip whitelist, and two factor at linode works for me. How many VPS were wiped, interrupted, or down though? I use Linode and my servers have been literally rock solid for 5 years

• CoffeeCoffee Member

@lennierb5 said:
    What node were you on?

Idk since we can't access SolusVM. I'm in LA location

• RFO #7

Just a quick update to keep everyone in the loop. Within the next 6 hours we will have all servers reinstalled ready to restore backups on the remaining machines. Within 18 hours we expect to resume normal status and all customers to have running VPS' with data intact.

Thank you again for your patience!

Regards

The ChicagoVPS Team
  • nutjobnutjob Member

@marcm said:
    Was the password set to 1234 and remote administration over http enabled by any chance?

No it was "guest". Why do you assume everyone is an idiot? Are you projecting, perhaps?

• marcmmarcm Member

@nutjob said:
    No it was "guest". Why do you assume everyone is an idiot? Are you projecting, perhaps?

@nutjob apologies, that wasn't meant in a bad way. However I am very critical of people who run their routers like they get them out of the box without configuring them. It's a huge security risk and you are basically inviting trouble in your life. Imagine that someone is using your home network to do credit card fraud, broadcast some really bad content or do other malicious things. Using common password will only increase these risks. In conclusion a poorly configured router can make your life hard really quick.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

RFO #9

As we finish up installing the new VPS' on the final machines I wanted to give an update. Within the next 5 hours, all OpenVZ VPS' should be installed and completed ready for you to restore.

We still have a few Xen machines that had severe damage to them, we are still going to working on them and will be ready tomorrow. I will make a decision tonight about compesation and release another email in the morning. We would like to thank everyone once again for all your patience.

Here at ChicagoVPS we want to ensure this will never happen again in the future. We are in the progress of working closely with a security firm for a complete audit over our infrastructure.

Thank you

The ChicagoVPS Team

Both of my VPS's that were down are back up.

Buffalo: all files intact.

Los Angeles: new install...wrong distro...and new hostname

hostname -f

test1.chicagovps.net

need to change that :P

• Here at ChicagoVPS we want to ensure this will never happen again in the future.

Didn't they write the same thing when they got hacked the last time?

• zfedorazfedora Member
    edited June 2013

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Didn't they write the same thing when they got hacked the last time?

It's damage control right now really. I wouldn't take anything they're saying at face-value.

However, hopefully after Solus is done auditing their software, they'll put more emphasis on security and not sell a dangerously vulnerable product like they have.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

The hostname thing is a solus feature of the new updates.
    You need a fqdn as a hostname, even at provisioning and the old ones are change to vps.server.com unless you put something else there for defaults.
    So, if you get new provisioning and your old hostname was not fqdn, the new hostname will be something like that :P

• DotMGDotMG Member

Mine, located in buffalo, still down. Pingdom reports all nodes in buffalo are up, and since at least 1 day. Do I need to file a ticket now in your opinion?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2013

@DotMG no use to do that. You will get some generic response if any at all.

ChicagoVPS June 22th RFO Report #10

We are close. All nodes except yours are up. We decided to recreate new vps for you to speed up process but you need to open support ticket for that which will be ignored till the end of the month or answered with some generic useless answer. But we are close! Don't forget to open ticket! Thank you for your patience.

I can't say which RFO is my favourite but if I would need to pick one it would be ChicagoVPS June 18th RFO Report #3 :)

• My VPS is finally back up - came up last night, but Apache is returning a generic webpage and I can't logon to my VPS with root or my non-root user. Is there anyway for me to reset my root password with SolusVM down? Just hope that they respond to my ticket I guess?

• akzakz Member
    edited June 2013

despite all these rfo's my box has never come online once Im beginning to lean on reading the RFO reports similar to how @Spirit wrote them lol. Why promise things to be up when in fact none are up?

• MorningIrisMorningIris Member
    edited June 2013

To all the customers:
    Because of Solus problem, we had to re-work on all of our servers, but found out that we had lack of knowledge and man-power, also since weekend is coming up, we decided to stay home.
    You can open ticket, but will receive a generic, formatted response from us and it will say, "we're working very hard for you and everything is very close.".
    So have a terrible weekend and we will see you next week with more horrible news.
    Bye.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @liquidice said:
    My VPS is finally back up - came up last night, but Apache is returning a generic webpage and I can't logon to my VPS with root or my non-root user. Is there anyway for me to reset my root password with SolusVM down? Just hope that they respond to my ticket I guess?

If this is an OpenVZ container, it is likely your root password is the same one they emailed to you when you first ordered

• DotMGDotMG Member

@ShardHost said:
    If this is an OpenVZ container, it is likely your root password is the same one they emailed to you when you first ordered

Good to know thanks, I'll have to try the admin123 password I used to order the VPS then, when mine will be back online, probably this tuesday or next friday ...

• @ShardHost said:

So just look it up in the leaked database.

• I think this is getting a bit silly. Here's the RFO #9 I got 10 hours ago:

As we finish up installing the new VPS' on the final machines I wanted to give an update. Within the next 5 hours, all OpenVZ VPS' should be installed and completed ready for you to restore.

Guess what? My VPS still isn't up, despite it being 5 hours beyond when they said they'd all be up.

• Random thought: how are you checking to see if your VPS is up?

• @MrObvious said:
    Random thought: how are you checking to see if your VPS is up?

Both via control, pinging the IP, and trying to SSH to it. The control doesn't work, I get no reply via the ping, and ssh times out.

• @ShardHost said:

Yeah I tried that one, tried a few different ones that I had used when resetting the root password through the SolusVM panel (before the hack) and none of them work!

• @PcJamesy said:
    So just look it up in the leaked database.

My password in the database is hashed and I couldn't figure out how to decrypt it.

• The ninth one:
    `5811

With the recent SolusVM exploits that have affected our company and others with a negative impact, many of our customers and us are not supportive of enabling public facing access to our SolusVM VPS CP as additional code could be exploitable. Let's not take a risk when it comes to security. At this time, we are releasing an alternative frontend solution to our customers to allow them to reboot, start, shut down, serial console, change root pass, or change hostname on their VPS. We hope to be making this more feature rich soon, however at the moment the only thing that you CANNOT do with this new frontend is: reinstall VPS, manage DNS entries, or create central backup. We are working on making these features available to you ASAP.

You can now access your virtual server controls at https://billing.chicagovps.net/clientarea.php?action=products . Select the service, and under the "Virtual Server Control" section you can manage multiple aspects of your VPS, including reboot, start, shut down, serial console, change root password, or change hostname.

No client's VPS data was leaked or accessed by a 3rd party during this hack. The hacker(s) did not directly access any VPS container or hypervisor, and simply used a SolusVM exploit to wipe out and cause damage to a certain number of VPS nodes. The intentions of the malicious hackers was cause mayhem within our company by wiping some of our servers. With this compromise, our SolusVM database was accessed by a third party. As such, there is a possibility that any passwords that were related with SolusVM could be at risk, for example your initial password you signed up with. For those clients VPS's that are now accessible and showing as an online state in the virtual server controls section in our client area, we urge that you immediately change your root password by clicking on the "Change Root Password" button.

Let it be clear that this compromise did not impact our client area in anyway, so any billing information, etc stored in our client area at billing.chicagovps.net is safe.

For good measure, please take a minute to change your client area password. Those who used the same SolusVM password as the client area should do this promptly. https://billing.chicagovps.net/clientarea.php?action=changepw

On a related note, rest assured we're making great progress in our recovery. A further update regarding this matter will be sent out later today.

We thank our customers for their continued support during this ordeal.

Regards,

ChicagoVPS Team`

• SpiritSpirit Member

Oh, great, we have some kind of control panel to control VPS. All what we need now is working VPS :)

• @Spirit said:
    Oh, great, we have some kind of control panel to control VPS. All what we need now is working VPS :)

Sounds like the SolusVM WHMCS module. Wasn't this present all along anyways?

• Well - at least with this control panel I was able to change the root password and get into my VPS -- but there's no data on it, they didn't restore anything from the backups.

• SpiritSpirit Member

You atleast got VPS. I got notifications about full control of my VPS from WHMCS without any VPS at all.

• @Spirit said:
    You atleast got VPS. I got notifications about full control of my VPS from WHMCS without any VPS at all.

Hopefully you will have a VPS soon too. I know its my fault for not backing up my data myself - but my VPS is pretty much useless at this point without my data.