Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS hacked - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS hacked

Comments

• This was the only downtime I had with them in the past few months. Wonder if their "Our network and 99.9% uptime guarantee" fits this.

Uptime - 95.06%
    Downtime - 1d 12h 18m

• fapvpsfapvps Member

@PcJamesy downtime due to attacks are are not covered by an SLA in most cases.

• However Chris has mentioned that due compensation will be given to people from affected nodes. Make a ticket to request it.

• mine is up with 5mb/s I/O, same as not having one.

• Most of you complaining are not one of these and never will be.

Thanked by 1marcm
  • MunMun Member

@Charliecron where is CVPS's sysadmin, I can't seem to find them.

• I'm guessing he's helping people who aren't bitching on forums.

• mmancemmance Member

@Charliecron - We got our last update 20hrs ago. If your host was down would you consider that a little long to wait in between updates? Updates that we do get are riddled with inconsistencies.

I should have backed up my data properly and had a second location with another provider. It would be nice if they can restore, but I would not be mad at them if they couldn't.

What makes me mad is the unprofessional manor in which this was handled.

Thanked by 1CentrioHost
  • didn't they get their solusvm brute forced last year as well? :|

• I've started typing like 10 different responses mmance, but the whole 'unprofessional manor' 'where are my updates' conversation has been done like 10 thousand times before on these forums, has included probably every provider ever, blah blah blah. Cry more. You have no backups.

• mmancemmance Member
    edited June 2013

Has this been done before? Hey Charlie, I know I made a mistake with my data and because of it I will have to re-do some work again. I admit my mistake.

But if someone is looking for VPS services and they want to research their providers. Do you think coming to lowendtalk.com to read what people say about them is a good place to start?

Maybe someone will come here and lookup ChicagoVPS, they will see a long list of people complaining. Complaining about non-disclosure of major security breaches (Someone stole the SolusVM userbase back in Nov 2012, with my data in it, and if it wasn't for this latest breach and downtime, I would have been completely unaware).

Now I don't like when forums are used for propagating smear campaigns, but I was a paying customer and I feel like they could care less.

If this isn't the place to share your experiences about your low end VPS provider, then where the hell is?

and Charlie, there is no need to be rude.

• I think your being rude by calling someone unprofessional. But whatever, every sysadmin goes through this, they get called names, they keep working. Hero one minute, incompetent the next, most times not their fault. Same as always.. I'm sure he's probably sitting in front of a terminal tired and hungry as we speak, working on someones vps... but yeah continue talking smack about his business if it makes you feel better.

• nutjobnutjob Member

Well, I've just had my home router hacked. Thanks CVPS!

• johnjohn Member

@nutjob said:

How is that CVPS's fault?

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited June 2013

@nutjob said:

My routers been acting up please explain.

• marcmmarcm Member

@nutjob said:

Was the password set to 1234 and remote administration over http enabled by any chance?

• RFO #4 email just arrived:

ChicagoVPS June 18th RFO Report #4

I just want to start off by saying thank you to everybody and their patience. I know this situation has been very frustrating and long, and I can assure you we are doing our best. We are still restoring VPS' via support ticket request. While doing this, we have noticed that a small percentage of the backups were corrupted after being restored. Those of you that are wondering why it’s taking so long for us to get to your ticket, I wanted to clear that up. There are a lot of customers impacted and this is a very timely process and the ChicagoVPS team is going through them very carefully.

I want to state again that there will be compensation for all clients affected by the compromise. We would like to thank you again for your patience, and we are getting closer to getting everything back in working order. 

Thank you,

The ChicagoVPS Team
  • smansman Member

@fapvps said:
    Good open source panel: Cloudmin GPL and the paid solution Cloudmin Pro!

I love Virtualmin but Cloudmin just does not come close to Solus or most other OpenVZ control panels for all sorts of reasons. It's not really designed for what Solus is designed for anyways.

HyperVM had a lot going for it but the project didn't go anywhere after the developer passed away. I guess some people are making some use of it but I don't think it's as active as an opensource project should be.

Saw another one here the other day. Can't remember the name but it's an opensource alternative to Solus. It's got a ways to go and you usually have to wait to see how active opensource projecs are before knowing if they are going to last.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

Sucks SolusVM, That's why we use our Control Panel.

• SpiritSpirit Member

In one of previous RFO letters they said that the vast majority of their VPS customers are online and in other later that they will give a fresh VPS to clients to work with to speed up proces.
    I am wondering... has anyone actually got newly provisioned VPS already? Reading in every RFO mail how they are restoring VPSs from backups it seems faster way to get it that way back than requesting new one and get ignored then.
    Yes I know, they are in the middle of the mess and have a lot of work to do it just seems that trying to help them with requesting new vps instead bothering with restoration doesn't speed up process to get online because they don't respond to those requests.

• My VPS was affected on Chicago Node, I forgot which one it was though. But I filed a ticket about two days ago and still no response.

• RFO #5

This is an additional update. We are making great progress in restoring servers and our current pace is on average about 2 servers per hour.

We are continuing to work tirelessly to restore your VPS, and working through our ticket queue as well. We are going as fast as possible and hope to fully resolve everything. Thank you again for your patience.

Regards

The ChicagoVPS Team
  • Ben1002Ben1002 Member
    edited June 2013

@bdtech

If I remember correctly, that causes issues with SolusVM. Can't remember why

• CoffeeCoffee Member

June 18th- VPS down.

June 19th- Submitted a ticket asking for restore a backup.

June 20th- It takes less than 12 hours, VPS online and fully restored.

Ticket is not replied, and the ticket's status is still open till now. I think they're very very busy :O

• ouijaouija Member

Well at least someone's getting service. I've submitted two support tickets after not getting a response within 24 hours on the first one, and I still haven't heard anything. My server too has been down since the 18th. Had backups running via a cron to a NAS drive at my place. Found out the NAS was having a DNS issue that occurred sometime in the middle of May and backups stopped running at that point, so when it rains it pours. :(

• @Coffee said:

What node were you on?

• blackblack Member

@Coffee said:
    June 18th- VPS down.

June 19th- Submitted a ticket asking for restore a backup.

I have a different experience.

• Ticket submitted June 19th, 2013 (13:05)
    • Currently June 20th, 2013 (17:13), no response on ticket and VM has not been restored. Traceroute returns !H
  • @Jack said:
    Be fair on CVPS, This Solus shit has put a lot more work on all provider that haven't even had to do anything other than take down the panel for a few hours. the amount of tickets that come in due it is unbelievable.

It's also surely hurt sales etc as users that are weary of the Solus issue would be reluctant to purchase.

• I know that if Linode wasn't so expensive I would switch to them.