Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to BuyVM. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to BuyVM.

13»

Comments

• YuraYura Member
    edited March 2017

@willie said: Willie

You are right! Replace $2.5 plan with $5 or any other plan from cloud providers.

Can we get back to the actual point I was making? About price comparison of one specific cloud provider to all the rest?

• Yura said: About price comparison of one specific cloud provider to all the rest?

With the 55% discount coupon Clouvider's pricing is comparable to the others. I've heard terrific things about their network but have no direct experience with it.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@willie said:

Yura said: Let's not call limit on 2 instances a bait and switch, okay?

Vultr is a cloud provider, and part of the sales pitch of a cloud provider is you can spin up 100s of instances on demand. If you look at Vultr's pricing page they list all the instance sizes, $2.50, $5, $10 and so on. There is no indication on the page that the $2.5 version is limited to 2 instances. It's either buried in some fine print somewhere, or you just plain don't find out til you try to spin up the third one.

I never bothered signing up with Linode because their lowest plan was $10 and had more stuff than I needed. Vultr and DO were more attractive with their $5 plans, so I signed up with them (unsuccessfully in DO's case).

Vultr would seem to now be even more attractive since it has a $2.50 plan, except that's misleading because of the qty limit. Any signups they garner from people expecting the $2.50 instances to be sold on the same basis as the other instances would have to be called bait and switch.

Perhaps the main question is not whether one wants to call the hidden policy of at most 2 instances a case of "bait and switch", but we could certainly agree that the lack of an explicit statement is misleading. (So I basically agree with willie.)

Vultr really should add a note in conjunction with the $2.50 plan that it's restricted to 2 per customer.

• @Francisco has a bit of a PR situation here. There have been two threads at the top of LET for two days now discussing his service in both negative and (defensively) positive light.

Ya know - all networks have outages, core router failures, etc. Look at OVH and RBX. OVH doesn't even bother to respond to tickets generally, but there are no threads about the lack of rudeness. I think we should all learn this lesson about the value of proper customer support and the value of proper ettiquette and decency!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

jiggawattz said: but there are no threads about the lack of rudeness.

They have plenty of threads about being rude, but people enjoy a stupid cheap deal so that out weights it :P

I've commented and addressed anything that will be improved.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@jiggawattz said:
    @Francisco has a bit of a PR situation here. There have been two threads at the top of LET for two days now discussing his service in both negative and (defensively) positive light.

Ya know - all networks have outages, core router failures, etc. Look at OVH and RBX. OVH doesn't even bother to respond to tickets generally, but there are no threads about the lack of rudeness. I think we should all learn this lesson about the value of proper customer support and the value of proper ettiquette and decency!

I think most users already learned to manage the expectations with OVH - that would be the difference ;-).

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

jiggawattz said: there are no threads about the lack of rudeness

No wonder...

Thanked by 1switsys
  • XeiXei Member
    edited March 2017

@jiggawattz said:
    @Francisco has a bit of a PR situation here. There have been two threads at the top of LET for two days now discussing his service in both negative and (defensively) positive light.

If you don't like a customer support rep... well in life you aren't going to like everyone... grow up.

I'm one of countless customers that never interact with customer support. If I have to reach out to support that's a bad sign. If BuyVM's availability was equivalent to OVH (which can be had cheaper) than I don't think you'd see people chiming in about constant outages/downtime/packet loss, etc. No amount of customer support (BuyVM had great support) is going to win you customers en masse as they all aren't going to magically overlook the constant stability issues.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt

@Xei said:
    If you don't like a customer support rep... well in life you aren't going to like everyone... grow up.
    A
    I'm one of countless customers that never interact with customer support. If I have to reach out to support that's a bad sign. If BuyVM's availability was equivalent to OVH (which can be had cheaper) than I don't think you'd see people chiming in about constant outages/downtime/packet loss, etc. No amount of customer support (BuyVM had great support) is going to win you customers en masse as they aren't going to magically overlook all the stability issues.

Vegas was great with the router replacement we did ... 2 years ago? A few blips here/there but with the extra bandwidth i'm adding in the next couple weeks that'll smooth that out. We did have an issue the other day but failing hardware happens, I wish it didn't but such is life with it.

Jersey wasn't a good time for us, I've gone into long rants about the issues we had there but there's no point continuing with it.

LU had a lot of issues too but they replaced their whole platform and those issues have since gone away. With that being said, we're still going to be adding an additional network as a failover.

Our main issue is that we were relying on our datacenters networks to stay kosher. We went with "gold standard" networks on the east coast and were let down lots on that.

As I said, we're aware of the problems we've had and I'm working hard to get them all touched up. We have a redesign to our LV network due in the next month or two that'll let us have more redundancy to prevent the issues we had Sunday morning from happening again.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2017

@Clouvider said:

@jiggawattz said:

I think most users already learned to manage the expectations with OVH - that would be the difference ;-).

OVH has improved greatly over the years from when you could make them the subject of any joke. These days they offer service that punches well above its weight for peanuts compared to most other places. Their support is also half decent now if you call them, which it seems not too many people know you can even do, and the few times I've even needed to contact their support were about billing things mostly, I haven't had any technical issue that required their support in a really long time.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt
  • XeiXei Member
    edited March 2017

@Francisco said:

@Xei said:
    A
    I'm one of countless customers that never interact with customer support. If I have to reach out to support that's a bad sign. If BuyVM's availability was equivalent to OVH (which can be had cheaper) than I don't think you'd see people chiming in about constant outages/downtime/packet loss, etc. No amount of customer support (BuyVM had great support) is going to win you customers en masse as they aren't going to magically overlook all the stability issues.

Vegas was great with the router replacement we did ... 2 years ago? A few blips here/there but with the extra bandwidth i'm adding in the next couple weeks that'll smooth that out. We did have an issue the other day but failing hardware happens, I wish it didn't but such is life with it.

Jersey wasn't a good time for us, I've gone into long rants about the issues we had there but there's no point continuing with it.

LU had a lot of issues too but they replaced their whole platform and those issues have since gone away. With that being said, we're still going to be adding an additional network as a failover.

Our main issue is that we were relying on our datacenters networks to stay kosher. We went with "gold standard" networks on the east coast and were let down lots on that.

As I said, we're aware of the problems we've had and I'm working hard to get them all touched up. We have a redesign to our LV network due in the next month or two that'll let us have more redundancy to prevent the issues we had Sunday morning from happening again.

Francisco

I see you guys as a mom and pop shop and there is something to be said about supporting such endeavors. I certainly appreciated all of the updates on ongoing issues but eventually I had to move on. It's clear to me it's a very difficult landscape to compete in given how the industry leaders encroached on the LET market. I am sure you guys will continue to grow and constantly improve. I just had to be honest about my experiences and truthfully do hope things keep getting better for you all.

Thanked by 1jiggawatt

@Xei said:
    I see you guys as a mom and pop shop and there is something to be said about supporting such endeavors. I certainly appreciated all of the updates on ongoing issues but eventually I had to move on. It's clear to me it's a very difficult landscape to compete in given how the industry leaders encroached on the LET market. I am sure you guys will continue to grow and constantly improve. I just had to be honest about my experiences and truthfully do hope things keep getting better for you all.

Thanks for being honest :) Everything helps.

May we some day cross paths again.

Francisco

• No one told me it was shit on BuyVM week. Sad!

• WSSWSS Member

@sleddog said:
    No one told me it was shit on BuyVM week. Sad!

Get a slice (of Francisco)!

• I can't believe I read the 2 pages of this post. All I heard was REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Thanked by 2Francisco 17brownj
  • WSSWSS Member

@doughmanes said:
    All I heard was REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I warned you about listening to "Jagged Little Pill" on a loop, didn't I?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

sleddog said: No one told me it was shit on BuyVM week

That's my fetish!