Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternatives to BuyVM. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternatives to BuyVM.

Comments

• Val can come across a bit moody, but I think it's just a stereotypical tech. Straight to the point with no fluff

Personally I aren't bothered - Val has always sorted any problems and answered any questions, and I'm pretty happy with BuyVM

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • k0nslk0nsl Member

I've got some tickets — somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15 — since 2014 and the times I've got Val the responses have always been "spot on" and "straight to the point". Never any rudeness or anything like it. Just get things done, basically.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

@bersy said:
    Clouvider NVMe SSD UK Slices are quite similar to BuyVM ones, and their 4/8/16/32GB ones are absolutely the same.

Thanks for recommending =)

varunchopra said: Starter VPSes are extremely expensive,

For an NVMe server with dedicated resources?

• @Clouvider said:

Probably in comparison with buyvm entry Slices.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Clouvider said:

To people who don't need those fancy features. Like someone gets away with driving a Ford Focus because a Ferrari is too expensive

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lukehebb said:

@Clouvider said:

To people who don't need those fancy features. Like someone gets away with driving a Ford Focus because a Ferrari is too expensive

We're feature packed ;p More on the way with the hirings i'm looking to do.

Francisco

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited March 2017

@lukehebb said:
    Val can come across a bit moody, but I think it's just a stereotypical tech. Straight to the point with no fluff

Personally I aren't bothered - Val has always sorted any problems and answered any questions, and I'm pretty happy with BuyVM

Written tone is interpreted differently across cultures - especially between someone of an Anglo-American background and, e.g., someone from Russia. This is rooted in linguistic differences (the choice of verb tense in English can actually convey politeness or directness, a uniquely Anglophonic phenomenon) and different cultural understandings of authenticity and directness.

The problem is that @Francisco is committed to high quality service. He can't just hire any joker or outsourcing company; he insists on only the highest quality and competent L1 techs like @Aldryic and Val.

But this comes with trade-offs: passionate techs sometimes come across too passionately. Aldryic had a tendency to indulge in man-hating feminism, but what could Francisco do? Could he replace her with some clown who knows the nice ways of saying things but couldn't tell the difference between rm -rf / --no-preserve-root and apt-get upgrade ?

Thanked by 3Yura k0nsl vimalware
  • YuraYura Member

@jiggawattz said:
    but what could Francisco do?

Mmmm... I could send him some quality links to xhamster.com. It is like Coursera but for employees who need strict discipline. And it fucking WORKS!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

jiggawattz said: passionate techs sometimes come across too passionately

Read quasi-autistic. Wherever I worked, everyone wondered how I am being able to do other things too and interact with people.
    I'd guess too much technology and facial hair puts off some people, especially of the fairer sex.

• No alternatives for buyvm, they're in the top

• NdhaNdha Member

Always having very good support experiences with Aldryc,
    even when i need to setup/request something in buyshared reseller account, he kindly done it..

but with Val, he charge me when i request help to change domain in whm account..

good way to increase cash for support @Francisco

• @Ndha said:
    even when i need to setup/request something in buyshared reseller account, he kindly done it..

but with Val, he charge me when i request help to change domain in whm account..

Yeah, that's true. I always mention if there any additional fees for it, please create an invoice and I'll pay later after the first time I got charged for domain change.

@jetchirag said:

@Ndha said:

Yeah, that's true. I always mention if there any additional fees for it, please create an invoice and I'll pay later after the first time I got charged for domain change.

Have you requested a lot of changes or just the 1? Same question to you @ndha.

Francisco

• Frankly speaking if there is no Francisco's in BuyVM I'll simply leave it and never turning back. Politeness is the basic thing as a human no matter what have had happened. If you felt pissed off when talking to people or assisting people you shouldn't stay in service line.

Thanked by 1Ndha
  • @Francisco said:

@jetchirag said:

@Ndha said:

Have you requested a lot of changes or just the 1? Same question to you @ndha.

Francisco

It was my 2nd change. Thus, I never complained because I am happy paying for it.

• NdhaNdha Member

@Francisco nope,

in 2017 i had 3 tickets with Val.

1. Ask about webserver and mysql down for 3 hours

2. Ask about email delivery

3. Request change domain in 1 account within WHM (1st time)

1 and 2 is it my fault ??

3 this is support request,

am i request to much ??

• SatelliteSatellite Member
    edited March 2017

jiggawattz said: Aldryic had a tendency to indulge in man-hating feminism, but what could Francisco do? Could he replace her with some clown who knows the nice ways of saying things but couldn't tell the difference between rm -rf / --no-preserve-root and apt-get upgrade?

Give me a break, dude. It's 100% possible to hire people who are good at their job AND aren't asocial sperglords. Being borderline autistic is far from a job requirement for being a good tech.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Ndha said:

Honestly I disagree with that, a number of providers charge to change domain names.

@zafouhar said:

@Ndha said:

Honestly I disagree with that, a number of providers charge to change domain names.

Huh? Time to increase pricing then ;-).

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @Clouvider said:

@zafouhar said:

@Ndha said:

Yep even as much as $20 per domain name change, it happens :)

Thanked by 1Clouvider

I'm not sure how I feel about it, I'll need to see if there's more steps than I'm thinking there is. If its just the domain for the primary reseller account then it shouldn't be more than a single page to modify on.

Francisco

• NdhaNdha Member

@zafouhar said:

@Ndha said:

really ??

1 domain not domain names, sir :)

i had this request maybe in 2016 when Aldryc doing it for free for 2 domains iirc.

had this reseller since day 1 they offer it in 2014.

so if client need support they must prepare to be charge,

if not request will not solve (noted for myself).

• charging for changing domain name on a reseller account ? Sigh.

• YuraYura Member
    edited March 2017

@Clouvider said:

@zafouhar said:

@Ndha said:

Reality check:

• Clouvider cheapest cloud:
      $15.88 gets 1 core, 512MB RAM, 15GB SSD, 250GB transfer

• Vultr cloud $2.5 gets 1 core, 512MB RAM, 20GB SSD, 500GB transfer

Your plan is not 50℅ more expensive, not even 100℅, it's whopping 535℅ more expensive (with smaller storage and half of bandwidth) than comparable plan from one of the industry leaders, not LET specific.

You are fairly active in conversations here, but do you really market your plans in the LET pricing? Are you interested in this market and us as your clients? Your latest offer, which is in your sig, is over and inactive for 2 months already. I won't ask the silly question how you justify 500℅ price premium over kinds like Vultr, because it must be incredible quality which your service possesses and all other "cheaper" providers lack. At least it's what I read in most of your messages.

When you will increase pricing again, please do make an announcement or at least PM me, I will make a comparison and see what I'm missing out on by choosing DO, Vultr, Aruba, OVH, Online. I'm actually curious.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • Val is awesome. Always super quick to reply to my tickets and gets straight to the point

edited March 2017

@Yura have a look at our LET offer threads - there is much different pricing in there.

Also, comparison with Vultr is flawed by design. The 2.5 USD package is a marketing gimmick limited to 2 per account. They don't want to sell it ;-). It's a switch and bait.

We also have the KVM VDS product that's very well priced, comparable with other major players at LET but with arguably better performance (NVMe) https://www.clouvider.co.uk/uk-virtual-dedicated-servers-sale

You can't really judge the book by its cover alone, can you ;-)?

Edit: and of course increase of pricing was a joke...

• YuraYura Member

@Clouvider, I try not to judge the book by it's cover. I notice that you are very polite and strive to be helpful on forums, other members have good words about your service. All of this was noticed and appreciated.

What you said about Vultr is irrelevant in this comparison. Their pricing is linear. Anyone can buy 2 of that super cheap plan in 2 locations and then some 2 fiver plans, make it 4 clouds of very big computing power, storage and bandwidth with awesome geographical distribution. Or just compare smallest clouvider cloud with Vultr/Linode/DO/younameit $10 or $20 plan. The results would be all the same. Not to say your cloud is worse, I have not been a client yet. For a reason I mentioned, obviously.

Also, comparison with Vultr is flawed by design. The 2.5 USD package is a marketing gimmick limited to 2 per account. They don't want to sell it ;-). It's a switch and bait

Bait and switch is false advertising, practice where seller offers one thing and delivers different, of lesser quality, on purpose and by malicious intent. This is not the case. Vultr introduced market loss leader and I heard of no one who complained about receiving anything less than promised. (Bait and switch was at @Contabo)

We also have the KVM VDS product that's very well priced, comparable with other major players at LET but with arguably better performance (NVMe)

These or real dedicated servers are what I would order from you, based on my cursory analysis of your offerings and recommendations. Your NVMe storage system is very enticing. I still think your cloud pricing is way above any other reputable provider I can think of and I thought mentioning that (of course you may safely ignore that, your business is doing well). I will keep an eye on your threads, for now your offers are over and I have too much computing power in Western Europe at the moment :)

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

Yura said: Vultr introduced market loss leader and I heard of no one who complained about receiving anything less than promised.

Several people complained when they discovered they could only buy two of those $2.5 plans. I don't see a loss leader in them either: lots of LET hosts (and non-LET like OVH) are making money selling more powerful plans for comparable prices.

I think VPS are not the place for raw computing power anyway though. Dedis are for that. You get close to a full core for a while if you spin up a 1GB Vultr, but what happens if you spin up 100 of them? Do you get the equivalent of 100 cores, sustained? I doubt it. Vultr has dedicated resource instances and they cost a lot more than the regular ones ;-).

• YuraYura Member

@willie said:

Yura said: Vultr introduced market loss leader and I heard of no one who complained about receiving anything less than promised.

Several people complained when they discovered they could only buy two of those $2.5 plans. I don't see a loss leader in them either: lots of LET hosts (and non-LET like OVH) are making money selling more powerful plans for comparable prices.

More than several people complain when they can't grab more than 3 huge TV sets for pennies at Black Friday... Let's not call limit on 2 instances a bait and switch, okay?

I'm glad they are making money, I used their offers for comparison with another provider in my message. If you add other more powerful plans at comparable prices you just add an insult to an injury. Let's not do that, let's keep this civil :)

• Yura said: Let's not call limit on 2 instances a bait and switch, okay?

Vultr is a cloud provider, and part of the sales pitch of a cloud provider is you can spin up 100s of instances on demand. If you look at Vultr's pricing page they list all the instance sizes, $2.50, $5, $10 and so on. There is no indication on the page that the $2.5 version is limited to 2 instances. It's either buried in some fine print somewhere, or you just plain don't find out til you try to spin up the third one.

I never bothered signing up with Linode because their lowest plan was $10 and had more stuff than I needed. Vultr and DO were more attractive with their $5 plans, so I signed up with them (unsuccessfully in DO's case).

Vultr would seem to now be even more attractive since it has a $2.50 plan, except that's misleading because of the qty limit. Any signups they garner from people expecting the $2.50 instances to be sold on the same basis as the other instances would have to be called bait and switch.