Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will BuyVM update pricing? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When will BuyVM update pricing?

Comments

• sleddogsleddog Member

@doughmanes said:
    anti-capitalists on here

You mean the members who type everything in lowercase?

• @sleddog the kids who get mad that a person decides to run a business versus be everybody's friend ("be part of a community")

• jcalebjcaleb Member

The whole point of buying vps from buyvm is to experience the legendary support from Anthony

• SpencerSpencer Member

@doughmanes Im usually not a negative person, but you sir are a grumpy old man. Take some deep breaths

• @Spencer said:
    Take some deep breaths

Oh sorry, I forgot this is LowEndKeepInLockStepWithEveryoneElseAndDon'tSayAnythingDifferent

• GaryGary Member

@doughmanes said:
    Fanboy? Don't assume anything, jackass. Feel free to give me a call below, maybe we can have a long talk about some of your personal issues

So butthurt you had to reply to me in two messages?

Fanboy, official LET troll, whatever name you want to assume. You're the one who started the assuming with your retarded cheeseburger comment. If it walks like a fanboy and squawks like a fanboy...

• Search ALL my posts and look for BuyVM. You won't find any

Or you can continue to take the path of least resistance of accusing people of fanboyism, fucktard

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Time to whip up another apropos coupon.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Nick_A I remember your first offer was May last year. Is it your company 1 year old now? Did I miss any new promotion for the birthday?

@jcaleb said:
    Nick_A I remember your first offer was May last year. Is it your company 1 year old now? Did I miss any new promotion for the birthday?

SHHHHH :P

@Liam should be posting it next week!

• @doughmanes said:
    Fanboy? Don't assume anything, jackass. Feel free to give me a call below, maybe we can have a long talk about some of your personal issues

Dang you @doughmanes, you really ain't lying about the phone numbers in your signature "Feel free to talk about your VPS issues, family issues, career issues, issues with the company you are starting up etc."

But I'm not committing suicide :P

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Nick_A i should get an extra discount than the anniv... maybe 1% less in price =)

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Nick_A btw, happy birthday to ramnode boss

Thanks!

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    But I'm not committing suicide :P

Not yet

• If you buy dedicated servers you can get RAM for less than $5/gb.

My first dedicated server was $599 monthly + $299 setup fee for 512MB RAM

TL:DR all the young'uns who are complaining about paying BuyVM $5.95 for 512MB RAM can STFU about high prices :P

Time goes by and what in 2010 were competitive low prices, now are something between standard and higher than average prices. I think BuyVM isn't LowEnd anymore.

You need to get outside (LEB) more. BuyVM's pricing is still at the lower end of the spectrum. Go look at the VPS pricing at the large web hosts that the masses flock to like DreamHost, HostGator, SopaDaddy, etc

That's the whole point of LET/LEB. Getting more for less.

The original point of LEB was doing more with less (i.e. low spec VPS's) not getting more for less (i.e. RAM race)

• @doughmanes said:
    Not yet

lol

• @DomainBop said:
    The original point of LEB was doing more with less (i.e. low spec VPS's) not getting more for less (i.e. RAM race)

This should be punch line

• sleddogsleddog Member

@DomainBop said:

I'm happy to see that view expressed here a couple times in the past few days. I'd pretty much given up the argument :)

Maybe it's time to revisit http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/8849/defining-low-end/p1

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2013

I agree that is a good hobby, and you can learn a lot by squeezing as much as possible in as little ram as possible, as an economist I would be very pleased, but it does not make sense for production these days.

It must be simple, scalable and fast to deploy.

While a HA scheme across providers and if it can do load balance, the better, is probably a very good idea and is a perfect example of how much you can do with a few dollars, even dirt cheap CDN, but buying a 64 mb ram VM to host a site when you can have the 4x of all specs for 1 $ more, even for poor ppl in the East is too far fetched.

If this is your hobby, fine, if you need it in real life and production, you will get only troubles from it.

It is certain you will lose traffic if your site jumps in visitor numbers, it is certain you will end up one day saying, hey, I lost 1000 visitors today when the site was down/unusable/suspended, but I saved 1 $ this month !

It does not make sense in the real life, even if you have unlimited IPs, even if your budget is nothing, heck, i find more money on the street each year than the few dollars to run a 256 MB KVM for one year.

I think a low end box concept is shifting up each year. 64 MB and below are fun, can even be useful, I had my share in the past, heck, used to think 4k is a lot some time ago, 1k was adventurous, while 1M was for supercomputers, but in this day and age it is becoming hilarious outside our circles :)

• niceboyniceboy Veteran
    edited May 2013

I do agree that BuyVm's pricing is quite out of sync. I'm not expecting bellow $5 for 1 gb, but, definitely not above $8 for current plans.. But, ultimately, it is their business and their strategy..

+---------+
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/test bs=8k count=256k conv=fdatasync
    262144+0 records in
    262144+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 3.95788 s, 543 MB/s
    +---------+

Love my ramnode vps @ <$10

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2013

@Maounique said:
    you can learn a lot by squeezing as much as possible in as little ram as possible

Yes, but that isn't the objective, at least for me. I see the goal as making best use of resources. Working in a limited environment encourages that, by helping you understand how and where memory is consumed. And if you need to scale up, you scale up. But you can do it efficiently, rather then just throwing memory at it and hoping it works.

And there's lots of ways of monitoring to be aware of possible under-allocation issues, e.g....

idle processes:       2
    active processes:     1
    total processes:      3
    max active processes: 2
    max children reached: 0
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@DomainBop said:

Good point. But nowadays, I'm too lazy to squeeze. And will just throw a little extra money just to save that time trying to squeeze. But that's just me.

• @jcaleb said:
    Good point. But nowadays, I'm too lazy to squeeze. And will just throw a little extra money just to save that time trying to squeeze. But that's just me.

As your time becomes limited that's the trend. You'll also want a reliable and stable system that is well supported. Get to a stage where you just don't want to experiment and hope it just works.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@concerto49 said:
    As your time becomes limited that's the trend. You'll also want a reliable and stable system that is well supported. Get to a stage where you just don't want to experiment and hope it just works.

yes. that's why what i look for a host is good balance. enough resources for my needs, reputable enough, not extremely cheap but still good price.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@concerto49 said:

Time is the most important resource of all. On your death bed you will give anything to get back the moments you wasted to safe a few MB of ram. And not only those :)

Yes, it is fun to use lowend resources to do some job, I do this with hardware, but there comes a point where you need to be prepared, just in case, I wouldnt host a site on my asus eeepc 900 even tho it has ssd and 1 GB of ram and uses little power, a VPS uses even less power, is faster and costs less time to operate and watch. I may even save in cost, even tho the eeepc was almost free and uses some 25 Watt in average.

• NoermanNoerman Member

@Noerman said:
    Could BlueVM contact me.

You have won my domain auction, see my current signature.

Thanks.

Paid, transferred & thanks.

• googlegoogle Member
    edited June 2013

I cancelled all my BuyVM vps recently because the price/service is not competitive any more. BuyVM's service is good, but there are also many other providers with the same or even better service in the market now, so BuyVM is not the only choice any more.

However, BuyVM still stands out to some extent since BuyVM has strong development team who provides over 100 different OS templates. No other providers' OS list is even close to that as far as I know. BuyVM also has affordable offloaded SQL service, free DNS add-on service and free 5G backup storage, which may attract some interests.

• I liked buyvm's addon's pricing, and the bandie included by default.

Something most providers need to work on :/

But overall I dislike francisco, that's just me.

• Add-on bandwidth is dirt cheap, too. $2.50/TB.