Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a Programmer - Flexible Hours working Remotely - 5GBP/hour
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a Programmer - Flexible Hours working Remotely - 5GBP/hour

I'm looking for a programmer who can help with bits of work on the side. Here's some rough details as we're not offering a permanent employment position, we're just looking for someone to help with small programming tasks who can work remotely and that we can outsource to, for various tasks as we come across them.

To save you reading further, we'd be looking to pay around £5 per hour, so ideally you'd be a student or from somewhere where the average wage is around that mark.

• Able to speak English, and communicate on email, Skype chat and Skype call.

• Able to respond to our communications within 48 hours on working days.

• Able to create an invoice and itemised description of work completed for us

• PHP/Linux scripting skills required, other skills in client-side development would be also helpful but not essential.

• A couple of years experience essential. Having an example of your own work I can look out would probably help too, just so we know you can actually code.

• You would be available anywhere between 10-30 hours of work per week. The jobs we have wouldn't be time critical so working hours and available working hours would be flexible.

• The jobs would not be complex, they'd be small segmented tasks. You'd mainly be helping my colleague who understands programming/scriping, but is unable to code things up in a timely fashion.

• Ideally you're just looking for extra money to compliment the stuff you're already doing.

• We would pay you bi-weekly or monthly either via bank transfer or Paypal.

• You'd be looking to commit for at least 6 months

• We'd pay a bit more if you have a lot of experience and could work with us longer term.

Our business interest is in the online marketing space and domain intelligence... we provide data to online marketers. We're based in the UK.

If this sounds interesting to you, send me a private message with some details about yourself, mainly that

A) You're a programmer and you're interested

B) You're able to start within the next 14 days

C) You're able to demonstrate programming skills

D) You can speak with us on Skype so we can finalise things and get started

Cheers

Comments

• £5 an hour is average for a PHP programmer? Can I have some of what you're smoking, please?

Where do you find these so called programmers from? I have two uni mates just graduated and got a "Graduate PHP developer roles" and are on £28k+

• I just smoke cigarettes and they're too expensive to dish out.

Your mates are graduates from a country with a higher average wage than what I'm looking for. This is why people outsource, which you'll find out.

• @ricardo said:
    This is why people outsource, which you'll find out.

True, reminds me of this guy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21043693

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

That's epic :)

I think these sorts of jobs are great, there could be someone it fits perfectly and wants the work, the reality is it probably does not justify a full time position or any more money but it could be ideal for someone, win/win.

No harm in offering it.

Place I worked 10 years ago hired graduates on £26k, personally I don't even think most of them were worth £5 p/hour!

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • reminds me of this guy

Unfortunately for me, I own 50% of the company, my colleague the other half. If someone could do my job I'd be happy to pay them more...heh

win/win

Indeed. Working remotely and times of choosing, at double the average wage of many Eastern European countries. I've posted similar here a couple of years back and got two great people, but couldn't commit the time needed.

• Okay let me tell you something. 5 gbp is basically exploiting. Even people in india get more money. In Germany you need to pay at least 8.50€/h and it doesn't matter what job you are doing. Most students here getting paid mostly around 12-13€ in the first few months. After that they sometimes get 18-19€ as a part time job!

Thanked by 2racksx Plioser
  • Nonsense. No idea why you're comparing to German wages.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @blackjack4494 said:

Okay let me tell you something. 5 gbp is basically exploiting.

I tend to agree, but it's about in line with UK Minimum Wage...

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • What kind of work are we talking about?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2017

Junkless said: What kind of work are we talking about?

Basic scripting. Programming logic, reading from files, taking github projects and using them or tweaking them slightly. Nothing that requires advanced knowledge of programming or lots of experience...

• @blackjack4494 said:
    Okay let me tell you something. 5 gbp is basically exploiting. Even people in india get more money. In Germany you need to pay at least 8.50€/h and it doesn't matter what job you are doing. Most students here getting paid mostly around 12-13€ in the first few months. After that they sometimes get 18-19€ as a part time job!

Oh, then everybody should move to India. You could live like kings for 5GBP/hour there.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IN/Job=Software_Engineer_/_Developer_/_Programmer/Salary

Math:

Highest earning guy is earning 1030578 INR/year which is 12380 GBP/year 12380/2080 = 5.9GBP/hour.

Median earning guy is earning 2.4GBP/hour there.

Why don't you try to understand how outsourcing works before you compare this to western country wages?

Ideally you're just looking for extra money to compliment the stuff you're already doing.

The guy is not claiming he's going to pay a livable wage for a western country resident.

Bonus:

Thanked by 117brownj
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

serverian said: Math:

Highest earning guy is earning 1030578 INR/year which is 12380 GBP/year 12380/2080 = 5.9GBP/hour.

Median earning guy is earning 2.4GBP/hour there.

Why don't you try to understand how outsourcing works before you compare this to western country wages?

Have to agree with this, someone in India making $5GBP/hr would be living like a king.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited February 2017

Always surprise me to see developers around the world earn the minimum of their country or less... In the USA and related countries , devs earn way above any minimum, in fact is around 20-100 dollars an hour.

• Well, $1K a month is good money in certain parts of the world, not so in others.

I don't see why it raises an existential debate about the free market. If no one is interested, no one will partake, and I either raise the rate or remove the request. Simples.

Thanked by 2Junkless deadbeef
  • jhjh Member

sir,

we world expertt in field u mention. Kindly Forward detail re salary and what we do with creditcard no. we will do the needful.1000 developings have over centery of combined experince.

• @jh said:
    sir,

we world expertt in field u mention. Kindly Forward detail re salary and what we do with creditcard no. we will do the needful.1000 developings have over centery of combined experince.

I know you're making fun of their grammar but the real question is:

Can you write in two languages?

• Just out of curiosity, when you guys talk of average hourly/monthly wages, are those gross or net values?

• Robotex said: Just out of curiosity, when you guys talk of average hourly/monthly wages, are those gross or net values?

Usually before (any) tax. It's a better comparison across international borders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

• I'll shitpost for £5/hr, but I'll be damned if I'll work for that.

I've actually earned more money repairing and flipping cars in the last few years than I have coding for others (which is why I no longer offer said services).

Thanked by 3lion Yura vimalware
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Have fun trying to find someone for less than the national minimum wage, unless you are taking on an apprentice

• <?php 
    echo system_exec("echo booger | md5sum"); 
    ?>

That one's free

• @blackjack4494 said:
    Okay let me tell you something. 5 gbp is basically exploiting.

He's not holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing them to do this. You either choose to accept it or not, that's it.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, "reading from files" can get complicated as fuck.

Depends on how well documented this Stuff is or even written in Clean Code.

• OP is paying alright actually. In my country, minimum wage is 130$/month. 6 days work week. PHP developers take around 600usd per month if they have 3 years of experience. He is certainly not offering this job to his own country fellows. I don't see the problem here. As long as he is respecting the employee's national minimum wage, how is it wrong?

• @Neoon said:
    Well, "reading from files" can get complicated as fuck.

Depends on how well documented this Stuff is or even written in Clean Code.

This is quite true. I remember how much effort it took to create an "ini" styled file parser back in the day. It ended up bloating the damn software nearly twofold, just to make the configuration coherent to non-programmers.

In the end, the users preferred the inline code style over INI anyhow, because they learned how things worked. I miss those sort of customers.

• @ricardo said:
    Well, $1K a month is good money in certain parts of the world, not so in others.

So it really comes down to your values. You want a "first world" lifestyle for yourself, but don't want others to be able to afford it, too. Including your own neighbors.

I don't see why it raises an existential debate about the free market.

Because you're exporting value. Essentially 100% of the money most companies spend on the other side of the world will never come back to their pocket. It's a more complicated story if you're legitimately a multi-national corporation, but you've given no indication that you're seeking applicants only from countries that contribute to your profit. As such, you're making life in your local economy worse for everyone.

If no one is interested, no one will partake, and I either raise the rate or remove the request. Simples.

Doesn't work like that. You low-ball people from the get-go and they may not even give you a second glance when you eventually get around to offering a living wage. You're establishing a reputation, and it appears to be one that will drive away anyone halfway competent. Do you really think that's the best way to do business?

Thanked by 1switsys
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited February 2017

Heh. Clearly some people are incredibly naive.

I'm not selling a utopian world here, nor a full-time position, nor a wage that is equivalent to [country where i live] or [country where you live].

It is what it is. Someone who can perform basic programming tasks. Clearly people have too much time on their hands or just like alluding to the fact they earn more, or would pay more.

Thanked by 2Junkless deadbeef
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Everyone complaining about the rates is probably doing so on a device made in China while wearing clothes made somewhere is south east Asia, sitting on furniture made in India that was all done while paying people significantly less than £5.00 p/hour.

Someone offers £5.00 p/hour for a bit of relaxed comfortable junior/hobbyist level work and everyone loses their minds sitting on a forum where companies get pushed HARD to lower prices to less than a happy meal that lasts all month, get a grip.

£5 is above or pretty damn close to the minimum wage for the people specifically targeted in the advert BTW, even in the UK.

And with this, that is enough 'forum time' for me today.

• @ricardo said:
    It is what it is. Someone who can perform basic programming tasks. Clearly people have too much time on their hands or just like alluding to the fact they earn more, or would pay more.

You do realize that you get what you pay for, though, right? You're going to pay a little to get shitty code, and eventually have to cough up more money to fix the shitty code you didn't pay for the first time. You can disagree with me, but I made a pretty good life out of knowing what I do and fixing other's garbage at one point. Expect plenty of issues the moment your programmer has to sanitize anything. You can hire a cut-rate gardener, painter, or maid. You don't generally want to go to the cheapest mechanic or coder.

• I was thinking the same @AnthonySmith.

@WSS, your frame of reference is what you would expect to be paid. This is online... international... and I've already mentioned that I've had good people in the past from here. It's not "cut rate", for all the reasons already mentioned.

This discussion has been closed.