Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think Dedistation is dead
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I think Dedistation is dead

I got a 2GB UK special in September for $15

Performance was never great, but it was fine for what I paid for it.

However, about a week ago I could no longer connect to the VPS, but I could log in to the control panel, and access it through an emergency session in SolusVM. So it was just the network that seemed like it was down.

So I opened a ticket (02/13/2017 09:08:02 pm) and asked on LET if anyone else had an issue.

Someone said they did and @linuxthefish hadn't replied on Skype (now I see he's banned on LET??)

Then the VPS came back up for a bit, but then went offline again. Still no reply to my ticket.

The box is up but I can't ping it, however I can ping it via the IPv6 address.

So if you were thinking of signing up, may want to avoid it or at least wait.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2017

He's been around, seen the messages, chosen to ignore them. At this point, and I hate to say it, I think he's made a run for it. I'm not going to say that he's run off with the money because, quite frankly, I'd wager some of this has to do with a lack of it.

If I separate my criteria for calling it from how I feel about the person, I would say scam if it were anyone else. So I'm going to say it... scam. Honesty pays off, he chose not to go that route. He chose to watch it fall and stay silent. He scammed LET members.

This should be considered the nail in the coffin. If you have services with Dedistation that are running, migrate away ASAP. Too many reports of servers failing. Sounds like server renewals are dropping one at a time, tbh.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • cociucociu Member
    edited February 2017

i offer him to host all contracts until expire in our house for free .... so if anyone have his skype/email pm please.

• @jarland said:
    He's been around, seen the messages, chosen to ignore them. At this point, and I hate to say it, I think he's made a run for it. I'm not going to say that he's run off with the money because, quite frankly, I'd wager some of this has to do with a lack of it.

If I separate my criteria for calling it from how I feel about the person, I would say scam if it were anyone else. So I'm going to say it... scam. Honesty pays off, he chose not to go that route. He chose to watch it fall and stay silent. He scammed LET members.

He's not a scammer, he's a bottle-job.

LET history is littered with bottlers. Your business going to shit (through mismanagement or no fault of your own) doesn't make you a scammer, and not coming back to LET to face the music and apologise just means you're weak.

This is just yet another example of someone being so scared of receiving a few harsh words on an Internet forum that they run and hide (poorly) rather than nut up.

Thanked by 2exception0x876 ucxo
  • Nekki said: Nekki

and still love you ....

edited February 2017

Nekki said: doesn't make you a scammer

Taking money and not providing the agreed upon service, while not issuing refunds (no one has stepped forward, he has not spoken) or stating a reason does make you a bit of a scammer.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jarland said: Taking money and not providing the agreed upon service, while not issuing refunds (no one has stepped forward, he has not spoken) or stating a reason does make you a bit of a scammer.

It does, but not necessarily a malicious scammer, more like someone who gets in to debt and does not know how to deal with it so avoids the phone calls/letters.

I think there is a difference, still a completely shit thing to do either way and iirc he used to be fairly critical of other hosts in the past before he was one.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @jarland said:

Nekki said: doesn't make you a scammer

Taking money and not providing the agreed upon service, while not issuing refunds (no one has stepped forward, he has not spoken) or stating a reason does make you a bit of a scammer.

If you want to start misusing the term like half of LET does, sure, whatever you like.

edited February 2017

AnthonySmith said: It does, but not necessarily a malicious scammer, more like someone who gets in to debt and does not know how to deal with it so avoids the phone calls/letters.

The thing is that I don't know that it isn't malicious. I only suspect.

Nekki said: If you want to start misusing the term like half of LET does, sure, whatever you like.

If I am fair and just, I have to call it that. If a new member signs up tomorrow, creates a company a few days later and begins selling services, then bails a month later without a word, no one questions the use of the word scam. Literally the only thing that exists to separate that person from @linuxthefish is my bias in his favor due to his length of registration and time spent participating on the forum. Logically, these items provide absolutely no conclusion that the motives are not identical.

Joshua Prout is also very friendly and has spent a lot of time participating on the forum. His motives were never stated by him either. We can all agree, I think, that his actions were a scam. So must this be called until alternate evidence has been provided.

I think it goes without saying that I'm not thrilled to call this a scam. That ban button was hard to hit. To be consistent and ignore my own bias is always challenging.

Thanked by 2joepie91 MikeA
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

jarland said: Joshua Prout is also very friendly and has spent a lot of time participating on the forum. His motives were never stated by him either. We can all agree, I think, that his actions were a scam. So must this be called until alternate evidence has been provided.

This will be indexed, might want to add some context.

EDIT: Changed quote to match post.

Thanked by 1jar
  • You must add dear comrade before name right now

• @jarland said:

Nekki said: If you want to start misusing the term like half of LET does, sure, whatever you like.

If I am fair and just, I have to call it that. If a new member signs up tomorrow, creates a company a few days later and begins selling services, then bails a month later without a word, no one questions the use of the word scam. Literally the only thing that exists to separate that person from @linuxthefish is my bias in his favor due to his length of registration and time spent participating on the forum. Logically, these items provide absolutely no conclusion that the motives are not identical.

I'm pretty sure that people do question the use of scam reasonably often; I know I do.

Anyway, whether people question its use is immaterial; that doesn't mean we should all start misusing words because it doesn't get called out every time.

If we're going down that road, good people, with legitimate reasons for shutting up shop abruptly are going to get called scammers somewhere down the line.

Thanked by 2jar Maounique
  • FWIW, I'm not defending @linuxthefish, he's behaving like a bottling cunt.

Nekki said: If we're going down that road, good people, with legitimate reasons for shutting up shop abruptly are going to get called scammers somewhere down the line.

I do have a simple remedy for such a scenario. Speak. I ask nothing more. When you log in and see what people are saying about you for over a month and refuse to speak, you've chosen your path. Good people don't ignore their customers crying out for help, unless there is something serious that is preventing them from speaking. Given the frequent logins, I do not believe that to be the case. This seems to be a conscious choice to stay silent.

• @jarland said:

Nekki said: If we're going down that road, good people, with legitimate reasons for shutting up shop abruptly are going to get called scammers somewhere down the line.

I do have a simple remedy for such a scenario. Speak. I ask nothing more. When you log in and see what people are saying about you for over a month and refuse to speak, you've chosen your path. Good people don't ignore their customers crying out for help, unless there is something serious that is preventing them from speaking. Given the frequent logins, I do not believe that to be the case. This seems to be a conscious choice to stay silent.

It shouldn't have to come to that if you'd just use the right words to describe the situation.

What sort of logic leads you to justify calling someone a scammer unless they return to explain themselves.

There's a lot of other, wholly appropriate terms you can use for such a person, but calling someone a scammer, without any indication that the person in question deliberately attempted to trick people out of their money for the own gain, is just plain wrong.

Thanked by 1Maounique

Nekki said: What sort of logic leads you to justify calling someone a scammer unless they return to explain themselves.

Take money, cut services, run away. These are my criteria for a scam.

Took money? Check.
    Cut services? Check.
    Ran away? Check.

It is what it is :(

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2017

@jarland said:

Nekki said: What sort of logic leads you to justify calling someone a scammer unless they return to explain themselves.

Take money, cut services, run away. These are my criteria for a scam.

Took money? Check.
    Cut services? Check.
    Ran away? Check.

It is what it is :(

If you want to start misusing the term like half of LET does, sure, whatever you like.

EDIT: I literally do not care, if you just want to misuse the term then do it, at least you know you're wilfully misusing it instead of spraying it with no idea what you're doing.

edited February 2017

Misusing the term scam is something I continue to not support. If someone provides you with the services that you paid for and/or communicates clearly and honestly on the issue they are not a scammer. I'm sorry, but the definition I'm using does not give me the ability to play favorites, as much as some people here would love for me to do so. In any given day I am both accused of playing favorites and chided for not playing favorites. Such is the role I took on here.

I believe this scenario to fit the dictionary definition of scam. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scam

If I require that someone come forward and admit to running a scam to use the word scam, then there will be no case where the word scam is appropriate. I must use some basic logical deduction. Taking someone's money, providing them with no service, and then running away is a dishonest scheme until I have evidence that suggests otherwise. I stand by that. It's something LET is all too familiar with, and I will not go back and retroactively declare them as all "not scams" nor hold this user to any higher standard.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
  • @cociu any "refugee offer"? (c) delimiter

• @jarland said:

I believe this scenario to fit the dictionary definition of scam. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scam

From where are you deducing fraudulent or deceptive intent?

@jarland said:
    If I require that someone come forward and admit to running a scam to use the word scam, then there will be no case where the word scam is appropriate. I must use some basic logical deduction. Taking someone's money, providing them with no service, and then running away is a dishonest scheme until I have evidence that suggests otherwise. I stand by that. It's something LET is all too familiar with, and I will not go back and retroactively declare them as all "not scams" nor hold this user to any higher standard.

Who asked you to get anyone to admit to a scam?

Calling this a 'scheme' implies that it was planned. What do you have that suggests this was the case?

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    lol

One of us is right then :-0

• Nekki said: Nekki

and still love you ....

teamacc said: @cociu any "refugee offer"? (c) delimiter

nope sorry , just try to help because i have like it the guy ....

edited February 2017

Nekki said: From where are you deducing fraudulent or deceptive intent?

This is my default assumption when the above given criteria is met. I believe this to be fair. Is it arguable? Of course, everything always is. However, I believe that it is a solid criteria for making such a determination.

Nekki said: Who asked you to get anyone to admit to a scam?

To the best of my recollection, everyone that I have previously labelled as a scammer has been repeatedly questioned by members of the forum and has chosen to silently run away rather than answer them. Such would suggest a reasonable conclusion that asking them if they have malicious intent would be of little value. So, too, would requiring them to answer to their intent before labelling them a scammer. The only thing that ever makes labelling someone a scammer acceptable, I propose, is logical deduction which ends with an assumption.

Intent has to be assumed to some degree if one is ever to make a judgement on it, and I am faced with the task of making said judgement from time to time. I cannot escape the call by declaring "scam" to be something that I can never prove. That may be arguably true, but it is a defeatist position which declares me unable to perform my role here effectively. That a matter can be argued should not be grounds for tying my hands behind my back, everything can always be argued.

You can use a nulled WHMCS and argue that I don't know how your backend server is set up, and therefore I can never ban anyone for nulled WHMCS. That's not productive in the goal of discouraging scammers on LET.

Nekki said: Calling this a 'scheme' implies that it was planned. What do you have that suggests this was the case?

Logical deduction based on the criteria at hand. You may disagree with it, and that is fine, but as I have stated I perceive that I must have a criteria that I use and it must be functional and capable of declaring a conclusion. Using a criteria that declares me universally unable to make a conclusion serves no function.

I set out to discourage scammers on LET and I set criteria based on continual observation of scams on LET. Such criteria has not been called into question until applied to a member who has been active here for some time, and I do not believe that the length or depth of their contribution to this forum is sufficient to declare the criteria irrelevant.

• Ok, I give up.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • Nekki said: Ok, I give up.

WBMDKJGKDHG ?

• cociu said: WBMDKJGKDHG

What this meant on your native language?

@jenkki said:

cociu said: WBMDKJGKDHG

What this meant on your native language?

Your sister.

• jarland said: Your sister.

no more sister , i am mature ... so looking something more mature now !!!

Thanked by 1joeri

@cociu said:

jarland said: Your sister.

i am mature

That's exactly what your sister would say.

• Try to contact @AlexanderM from hostus since they own HostWithLinux Ltd, the company behind Dedistation, for months now.